HAs with self contained rechargable batteries

Is there any way to program the new Phonax B-R series and Signia Cellion PX series for DIY? It seems like the lack of battery compartment shuts down the easiest way to interact with the aids. Thanks. Just curious.

Some Phonak Aids (including the B-R) can only be programmed wirelessly >> Find Fitting/Programming/Cable Guide <<

If you pay closer attention to detail then maybe you could recall that we covered this in the mini Pro thread.

>> Signia >><

Interesting! I see the Cellion Primax takes CS 44 cables, but I have no idea how they’d attach as there are no battery doors. I thought to attach an aid via wires, one needed removable batteries to insert the “pills” in. Anybody know how the Cellion Primax attaches to CS44 cables? I don’t think the issue with the Audeo B-R is size as it is comparable in size to the Audeo B with 312 batteries (actually a little bigger) I guess the point of my post was to bring up the issue of if rechargeable aids with sealed batteries become more popular, it might make DIY programming more difficult. Thanks for your time.

The programming port is located underneath the pushbutton.

I am trying sending an email to someone who sells the Cellion Primax.

How do you attach a CS44 programming cable to the Signia Cellion Primax? Does the door atop the hearing open to gain access to a cable connection?

Thank you rasmus_braun! So the connection should be a straight CS44 cable connection for the Cellion Primax.

However, it is my opinion that we should steer clear of these models. What’s the point of rechargeable batteries. It’s saving money on batteries, right? Well the rechargeable batteries do wear out. No one knows how much it will cost to replace the batteries. Also no one knows how much your local audiologist service charge will add to the cost of replacing the batteries.

I suspect that the cost of replacing the rechargeable batteries will likely equal or exceed the cost of buying regular batteries. Self programmers should especially steer clear of these models because we often buy used Hearing Aids/HAs and the remaining battery life of used HAs will be unknown.

New Unitron in 2017 will have a battery drawer mod that will allow the integration of a rechargeable battery, but will still take a conventional battery for when you are travelling. The best bit about this is that it’s a retrospective modification that will work on any of the latest BTE/RIC shell sets. So you can mod your existing aids to make them rechargeable!

’ In your face, Phonak!’

Any links to the Unitron info? I’m unclear if they use standard sized (312 or 13) rechargeable batteries with Silver-Zinc chemistry or a “built-in” lithium ion battery. My understanding is that the standard sized rechargeable batteries (especially 312s) do not hold enough charge for a long day. I think the main real world advantage for rechargeable batteries is that it eliminates the need to replace batteries for those with poor eyesight or low manual dexterity.

This is my view as well.

Oh, I didn’t think about ppl with with poor eyesight or low manual dexterity.

Hmmmmm; I wonder how much testing the manufacturers did to insure that you don’t end up with a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Lithium-ion problem on your ears. :eek:

I’m sure they consulted with lawyers and upped their liability insurance.:o

It’s just an ‘in the pipeline’ bit of information from the rep.

You can buy rechargable HA batteries. What’s missing is a simple charging mechanism for aids that weren’t setup for that. I assume this would be a retrofit charger. To me it looks like they had planned for rechargable then got cold feet for some reason and are now reversing that.

It’s to deal with the holiday/touring longevity issue.

What about the Accu Plus (Power One) batteries and stand-alone chargers? The chargers are small, and are themselves rechargeable, so you can carry one around with you, even. There’s a pen-size charger that looks great, too, but isn’t shown here. It’s all pretty pricey, though :frowning: Oh and these are nickel-metal hydride so maybe less likely to explode on the side of your head. But it also means they have less capacity than a lithium-ion battery.

http://www.powerone-batteries.com/en/products/accu-plus/

www.phonak.com/content/dam/phonak/gc_hq/b2b/en/products/more_products/_documents/FAQ_power_one_Accu_plus.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Varta-Microbattery-Charger-Universal-Charger_UK/dp/B0042ZJ17C/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1480533350&sr=8-1&keywords=power+one+charger

https://www.amazon.com/PowerOne-Pen-Charger-Size-312/dp/B0019AFIKW/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1480533420&sr=8-1&keywords=power+one+pen+charger

If you have to take them out and put battery only into a charger, its more work than standard batteries. The easily available ones are a charge daily setup. They last about a year. Cost-wise that’s about a wash.

No kidding! Unless you buy the really expensive ones, it works out to be cheaper to just use the regular-old disposable ones. Which you don’t have to change every day (if not more than once a day!). There’s the question of throwing those dead batteries in the garbage, but beyond that I just don’t get this. The built-in Li-ion ones, yes, because of the convenience and for those with manual-dexterity issues. But not these, that you have to take out all the time, and that only last 6 months or so.