HA's for profound loss

New poster here and I would very much like some advice from the forum.
Background:
56 year old male with severe/profound mixed loss hearing.
Tinnitus but it does not bother me, some loss of balance.
BAHA tested and found to be no improvement.
Shortlisted for a stapedectomy but CAT scan indicated it would be unwise.
ENT thinks a cochlear implant would help but province refuses procedure on grounds that I am now highly functional as a lipreader.
My insurance claim covers new aids every 5 years, repairs and batteries.
My hearing aids are presently 5 year old Phonak Naida V UP’s on both sides.
Problem:
Because of the amplification I require feedback is a huge issue for me.
I have used both soft and hard, vented and non vented, full shell ear molds on my BTE’s and trying to tinker with my amplification curves is a non stop battle for my Audi’s in their quest for high amplification without constant feedback.
I am due for a new set of aids via my insurance claim and my Audi thinks I should trial Naida Q RIC/CRT with the high power option.
I am skeptical about the RIC option in my circumstances.
My Audi also says software improvements should take care of most of the feedback issue.
I have not heard of any new systems apart from the Naida UP’s that would be appropriate.
The oversize and tight ear mold fit required hurt my ears and the on again off again feedback is very irritating.
Any advice or suggestions regarding my options when purchasing new aids would be appreciated.
Thanks again for any advice offered.

125 250 500 750 1000 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
R …92…100…98…105…108…95
L …101…100…91…105…115…97

Conductive normal at 250 Hz, 55 at 1000HZ, 75 at 2000Hz and then flatline at 75 to 80db

Have you tried super thick-wall tubing? The feedback could be occurring due to leakage of sound through the walls of the tubing, and not from the earmold itself. In any event, earmolds should never hurt. The Naída RIC may be less prone to feedback than a BTE because the receiver is positioned away from the microphone. And since it’s closer to your eardrum, you’ll need less gain than a BTE with sound tube.

Thanks very much rasmus-braun.

I do use thick walled tubing and I change it out often. I will bring this point up with my Audi.

I know earmolds should not hurt. I have several sets and I dont wear the ones that hurt.
The large or oversized earmolds are simply another attempt to keep the feedback at bay.
Non vented earmolds are a bit of a problem as well, after a few days my ears get irritated and I have to use
Cipro/Cortisone drops.
Keep in mind my Naida UP’s are maxed right out.

Any advice at all from the forum would be much appreciated.

I too have profound hearing loss. My widex RIC aids have no feedback because the receiver is closer to the ear away from the microphone that is in the BTE aid. My aids and newer aids when they detect any feedback, the computer in the aid will correct it. The only problem I am having with the RIC is that the receiver in the ear mold is sensitive to moisture and I have had the receiver replaced twice the first year under warranty because of sweat and moisture in my ears.

Please put your audiogram in your signature like everybody else.

Power aids tend to be bte. I believe the actual sound path between the mic and receiver is longer for bte even if they are physically closer. I bet you are going to loose a lot of precious gain using the feedback programs on ric type of aids. But I think they are worth a look. get the 13 battery model.

In your situation I think it would be worth it to make new ear molds. I remember when I got fitted for my ite aid, my audi had to remake the shell of the ite a number of times to deal with feedback issues. When they make an impression make sure you open your mouth wide and close it. and smile as hard as you can. I bet they can make the molds with a plug for the vent so you can try it out with or without vent holes. but your loss is so severe am surprise you are even considering vent holes.

Do you clean your ear molds? seriously wipe them with alcohol pads daily. That pain is probably an ear infection.

Have you looked into oticon chili? how about a widex model? trying out different brand of aids is because each company product may use different frequency ranges to determine where their channels or band end and begin. Also widex has something called audibility extender as opposed to phonak’s sound recover technology that moves sounds from certain frequencies to another.

Also I am thinking maybe you should try getting your audi to lower the gain. don’t have the audi max out the aid at any point. It’s like with anything electronic, probably best to push it close to the limit without actual hitting it. I bet this will go a really long way in getting rid of a lot of feedback.

also make sure you audi is running that feedback manager in the phonak programming software.

I was told I could not get cochlear implants because I can actually hear out of one ear. I believe the implants may damage the hearing I have in my “good” ear. province not wanting you to get implants is probably a money issue. you may want to call them again and see if you can get another person on the line.

If you get any cochlear implants, it will damage any good hearing you have remaining. Also 17 percent of cochlear implants reported that their tinnitus got worse.

New poster here…
76 yr old male HA wearer for 10+ years, currently using Oticon Agil Power BTE provided by the VA in June ’12. I have a service connected profound loss with tinnitis, see below. I would appreciate hearing from others of their experience and how they are coping with this degree of loss. We live in a retirement community where the BG noise level in the dining room is amplified to the level of a machine shop, I have difficulty with telephone conversations (currently using a CaptionCall home phone and Bluetooth with my aids), and I can no longer hear the melody in music (we can still dance because I hear the percussion and some of the upper range instruments and unless it is a vocal my wife has to tell me what the song is ). One-on-one discussions with adults are still doable if they are looking at me, but I cannot understand most of what my granddaughters (7 & 11yrs) say. I find that acoustic guitar and piano music is relaxing even though, in most instances, I can’t recognize the melody. My audi at the VA is suggesting a ReSound LiNX or a Starkey (?) for my next aids. Comments would be appreciated.

04/11/14 - VA Audiology
-------250—500----750—1000—2000----3000----4000----6000----8000
Right----30----40------60-----100----105±—105±—105±----105±—105+
Left-----35----40------50------60-----70------105-----105±----105±—105+

I always get the beat down when I mention Siemens… but, with those numbers you guys are about at the end of the road hearing aid wise… I always prefer a RIC if I can get away with it. the Pure micon 7 with the HP 2.0 receiver and hard molds (see page 19 far right column) or the BTE Nitro 7 (see page 13). Jack the VA I know has at least a 90 trial period. I would try the Pure’s and only go Nitro if you have too. Same for trex but not sure about trials, etc…

http://hearing.siemens.com/us/en/_docs/publications/fall-2013/fall-2013-product-portfolio.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Thank You, I’ll check them out… :o

I never realized my Siemens Pure Micon 7’s could handle my hearing loss even if it becomes worse.

— Updated —

I never realized my Siemens Pure Micon 7’s could handle my hearing loss even if it becomes worse.

It’s very hard to deal with profound hearing loss, I have the same issues with feedback of my Siemens Nitro 301 SP hearing aids. I use thick walled tubes and oversized very tight and deep fitting silicon moulds. I have sore ears, sure, but the only way to hear some what. I read from lips and use sign language.

— Updated —

It’s very hard to deal with profound hearing loss, I have the same issues with feedback of my Siemens Nitro 301 SP hearing aids. I use thick walled tubes and oversized very tight and deep fitting silicon moulds. I have sore ears, sure, but the only way to hear some what. I read from lips and use sign language.

how’s your bone conduction readings?

Hello everyone,

My experience with the Resound Enzo BTE hearing aids have been quite good. I’ve fit previous digital hearing aid wearers as well as analog hearing aid wearers. If you are looking for a recommendation to try, definitely try the Enzo’s.

— Updated —

Hello everyone,

My experience with the Resound Enzo BTE hearing aids have been quite good. I’ve fit previous digital hearing aid wearers as well as analog hearing aid wearers. If you are looking for a recommendation to try, definitely try the Enzo’s.