Has anyone heard of shipping delays for new aids

and also any closure of hearing aid offices/branches due to coronavirus? I could be wrong but starting to think the coronavirus crisis is impacting the testing and buying of hearing aids on many levels. I believe govt. services and heath care providers that sell HA’s might be diverting all their attention to dealing with the spreading virus. Also I wonder if HA dealers/Audi’s (at this time) might not want close proximity with patients during this trying time. From my viewpoint hearing loss and hearing aids are a medical condition that need to addressed when ever the need arises but I’m starting to think the coronavirus is impacting hearing aid service.

3 Likes

My audiology appointment for April 15 was canceled a couple of days ago. There is a read l impact on all sorts of services including audiology here in Oregon.

My follow-up for next Monday the 30th has been moved to 7 May. Was really really hoping to get earmolds made but I will have to keep chugging with these semimaddening domes for a bit longer. But if it saves one person, it’s worth it.

1 Like

My clinic shut down early last week, along with pretty much every other medical clinic providing non life-sustaining services in the province. All non-essential workplaces are closed. Everyone is isolating at home.

I’m just surprised that this is even a question at this point. Go home. Stay home. Expect not to have any appointments for a few months. For christ’s sake, wash your hands if you touch anything in public. Mortality rate for 70+ is nearly 10%.

10 Likes

I know a person on this forum has seen his shipments prolooooonged! I also know all clinics here from dentist physiotherapist audiologist and prosthetics are closed.
:frowning:

I know my audiologist is still open and has been declared an essential service. At the same time a lot of places have decided on their own to shut down. Whether he is able to get new aids or not I couldn’t say. He has said that he’s only gotten 3 cancelations so far. He does seem to be spreading appt further a part so there’s no back up in the waiting room. Again I haven’t heard about shipping delays but I can’t imagine there not being any. So now let’s hear all the negative comments about how he is single handedly spreading the virus throughout the planet. Please note I haven’t mentioned what steps he’s taken to keep his patients safe.

Yes, my audiologist dept in a hospital has closed in Calif. They said check in in about a month. They said they too have to take care of themselves.

Since I’m wearing my old aids until the new ones get back from repair it doesn’t matter if I don’t hear well, I’m homebound anyway so it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

There’s a difference between being open for everything because you are deemed an essential service, and being open for essential services.

There’s no way for you (or him) to know that he is not a silent carrier. Act appropriately.

It has been absolutely surreal watching how slow my American colleagues have been on this matter.

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity. Where are you from Neville

Canada. Ontario.

I think of myself as only being middle-of-the-road on speed-of-growing-concern. Things are changing quickly, though, and sometimes days feel like weeks. My father, who is in the highest risk group and a retired doctor, isolated himself in early February. We thought he was being slightly alarmist at the time.

2 Likes

@Neville You must not have heard, we’re going to be back to complete normal and open for business by Easter, rarin’ to go, and it’s going to be just beautiful or something, everyone gathered in their churches. Totally not creating massive new outbreak clusters across this great big clusterf…I mean nation, of ours. Or something. Hell if I know.

1 Like

Having worked through SARS as he probably did, not alarmist at all.

1 Like

We’re all in the same boat here. Saying you’re surprised how one country has reacted or not reacted doesn’t help. To be honest with you I don’t think anyone knows what they’re doing. To say that my audi could be a silent carrier, we you could say that about anyone. But still I have to go out at least once a week to buy food. I think everyone is trying to be as careful as they can. I’m not going to criticize how one country is handling this over how another country is is. That’s counter productive. But seeing the ratio of the world population compared to how many people have the virus compared to how many have died from the virus and I wonder if we may be overreacting just a little. But I don’t really know for sure

This doesn’t have anything to do with delayed shipping but Murphy’s law is in full effect.
Lots of good things going on too.

Think back to grade 8?, when the teacher was yammering about exponents. In case anyone can’t remember that far back this guy explains very clearly how it applies. YouTube Now go here United States Coronavirus: 65,544 Cases and 929 Deaths - Worldometer and watch the math playing out in real time. Take a look at the other countries and compare to your own, not to blame, but to see where you’re headed. Nobody is overreacting. I’d expect audis to be answering calls in case there’s a genuine hearing emergency, but otherwise be closed. If somebody really does need to visit a clinic, then they damned sure don’t want to be in the waiting room with or after another client who’s making an “essential” visit to get their TV connector paired or whatever.

1 Like

It isn’t going to happen in the high population areas of this country. Now in the heartland we are and have always practiced safe distance, it is just the way it is. I haven’t been to town in over a week and don’t plan on it for a few weeks more. I will call in my food needs to the local grocery store, and when they call me it is ready I will go pick it up at the curb. I will stay in my car and they will load it in the back of the SUV. Now I do take my motorcycle out daily now and go to the trails and walk my 4 to 6 miles. I get out of the house, and if I am lucky I will see someone 50 yard to 100 yards a head or behind me. Fresh air and exercise are so important to keep your health up and make it easier for you to survive illnesses.

3 Likes

Latest reports say the virus survives in the air for hours. Getting someone else to do your dirty work seems a bit selfish. And audiologist in my state is considered an essential service. And some people need their hearing for more than watching TV. They have closed caption for that… Let’s see how long before they decide this isolation thing has gone on long enough

The virus staying viable for threeish hours in an aerosol has been known for at least weeks if not longer. That’s nothing unique. It’s still a virus, follows the same basic rules. But they do settle out based on air flow and gravity. You just need to avoid openly coughing and sneezing people.

2 Likes

Tell that to Joe Biden

1 Like

That’s the point. We should all be behaving as if we are silent carriers, and as if everyone around us is a silent carrier.

Do you though? Or can you plan a little bit further and go two weeks? Getting the guy at the grocery store to load your stuff isn’t selfish–it is protecting him, too.

People are going to die from this virus. There’s not a lot we can do about that. What we can avoid is thousands of unecessary deaths of people who otherwise could have been saved with routine medical intervention because the medical resources are way beyond capacity. Staying home for a few weeks isn’t actually that hard, especially for people who already have their retirement finances well in hand.

I completely agree that audiology is an essential service for some people. Maintaining functional hearing aids is definitely an essential service for you–but it can be done largely remotely. Doing hearing tests on a new patient who has already waited 7 years to do anything about his hearing loss and can get by in the sorts of quiet, isolated situation he’s going to be in for the next little while is not essential. I would imagine that those are the sorts of calculations your audiologist is already making.

11 Likes