Handling new users

Got this message from @spudgunner … I think this is a good idea.

Question for the community:

What information would have been helpful on DAY 1 of using this forum? Not just about how to use the forum software, but also general questions about hearing loss / hearing aids that you might have had initially (and that you’d prefer didn’t get re-asked every other day by newbies).

5 Likes

Definitions of hearing aid types and their parts.

Thanks for this.

9 Likes

1)How to enter an audiogram
2)Some sort of statement that hearing aids cannot be programmed by a phone app
3)Some attempt at explaining the complexities of Bluetooth. Bottom line. Don’t assume it will work like you think it will.
4) An explanation of what compression is and how that differs from frequency compression.
I think this is a GREAT idea.

9 Likes

There will always be the repeat questions. I go searching for things and can’t find the way that I say it, I’ll ask.
For the new arrivals before they come to the starting page after registering, a page saying: Read this. No really, read this. Seriously, read this. This is not just another UA to click through, read this. And then the content already suggested and whatever comes after here from your other more keen always helpful members.
Then make THAT the FAQ page linkable from everywhere in your footer below.

And change your topic title…no one wants to think they’re being “handled”. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Maybe a statement that hearing aids are not like other technical devices (cars, computers, smartphones, sound systems) where one can reasonably compare technical specs.

4 Likes

Perhaps the biggest false expectation of hearing aids is; that they will solve your hearing loss, 'tis a fundamental mistake most new users make, and they assume that like glasses that correct your eyesight, hearing aids will help correct your hearing, they are assistive hearing devices and as such can never fully correct your hearing loss. Cheers Kev.

10 Likes

Q: What (if any) are the real differences between the Big6 hearing aid brands?

3 Likes

Hi Spudgunner, IMO the main differences are down to personal choice, and we are creatures of habit, we normally get a brand we like and stick with them, personally I have been using aids for over 30 years, I have only ever worn Oticon or Phonak, Oticon were mostly given to me via “The NHS”, and are free at point of service, and you have 2 choices, take it or leave it :rofl: but if I am buying then it will always be Phonak, I just prefer how Phonak sounds, and they are now fully connectable to most Bluetooth devices, without the added hassle of a secondary intermediate device. All the top brands of hearing aids will be excellent aids, so it mostly comes down to personal preferences, perhaps you would take into account your work or lifestyle, and affordability. Cheers Kev.

2 Likes

This wasn’t an actual question for you to answer, Kev. It was a suggestion for Doc Abram’s new section of information for newbies.

Thanks anyway…

2 Likes

Hi SpudGunner, Apologies for jumping the gun and thinking it was a general question :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Different domes and mold. Why mold vs. domes. Functionality of both. Info on pairing hearing aids. May fall under previous suggestion about Bluetooth. Cleaning and drying process. Finding a good audiologist that performs Best Practices. Introduce them to Dr. Cliff’s Best Practices videos as well as his others.
I think keep it pretty basic on subjects, as new hearing aids are overwhelming and somewhat frustrating , so we don’t want to add to that.

2 Likes

Explain to first timers what they can expect when they go to their first appointment with an audiologist. Explain what best practices means and how to educate themselves utilizing this web site prior to their first visit. Use an example of the process one goes through from first visit to several follow ups and deciding on ha types, domes, molds, and an explanation of various equipment used by. a typical audiologist and their purpose.

2 Likes

It might be helpful to have sub-forums for the 5-6 big brands. I believe this is worth considering to diminish the instances when a question posed by a brand-loyal user (like me with Oticon) devolves into “I had that problem with brand X until I switched to brand Y: you should switch, too!”.

Each brand has its quirks, and a brand-specific forum would permit Oticonistines, say, to whinge together without their topic being hijacked by The Phonakites.

This would benefit newbies by compartmentalizing the brands and their distinctive competencies, and by isolating intra-brand discussion from the inter-brand theatre (where A vs B vs C discussions can be overwhelmingly confusing to the uninitiated).

3 Likes

Explanation of the various, principal types of hearing loss, and the main challenges that each kind poses for both the hearing care provider and the patient.

3 Likes

Dictionary of Acronyms used here. There are many and most posters seem to assume all readers know them. Sorry, most are unknown to me.

8 Likes

Many great suggestions!! A page/place just for newcomer’s sounds like a wonderful idea to me. Many of US don’t remember not understanding the basics - - I started dealing with my husband’s hearing issues over 50 years ago and my own for at least 20 years!!

I lead a “hearing support” group in Sun City Texas and we get so many people who want us to just “tell them where to go and get aids!” It is a constant, repetitive education process to explain that hearing is done in the brain and putting an “amplifier” in your ear is not going to “fix” the problem.
We have a lot of the Dr. Cliff video’s on our website - - but folks have to take the time to watch them!!

Hope this will go further!!

4 Likes

While I have been using hearing aids for 20 years, I only joined this forum a couple of months ago, after getting my new Philips. Even in my short time here I have learned a lot as I was unaware how much technology changed over the last decade. Based on my recent experience I would like to highly recommend and support a “new user group”.

6 Likes

Until this comes about, Googling the acronym and “hearing” will usually get an answer.

Yeah, this. Also a glossary of terms, ever words like ‘receiver’ mean something different in our lingo than they do on the street,

3 Likes

This may be a different twist: I had some degree of anxiety before I got my HA’s - I was relatively young (still am and always will be ::slight_smile: ). I think my concern was around social stigma more than anything else. After using HA’s for a short time, and understanding how big of an impact it made in every day life, all my worries were for nothing. Maybe some “life stories” or “life testimonials…”////

6 Likes