Hair Cell Regeneration

Since the Shingrix vaccine has been discussed in this forum and a lot of us are old folks who perhaps should get this far more effective shingles vaccine (better than the original Zostavax), I thought the following Washington Post article on the incredible demand for the vaccine might be of interest:

UPDATE: Actually, the most important lines out of the article might be on how the vaccine scarcity is making it hard or impossible for users to get the 2nd required booster shot at the recommended interval. A bit contrary to the article, my wife (an M.D.) says of the numbers of patients that she has prescribed the shot to, none have yet been unable to get it in central Texas. Quote from article:

"Complicating the situation is the recommendation for consumers to get their second dose within two to six months of the first. Many consumers are struggling to find their second dose. Pharmacies are supposed to give priority to those patients. Some pharmacies are requiring consumers to get their second dose at the same place they got their first shot. Others will give the second shot if consumers show proof they have gotten the first one, regardless of where. GSK said preliminary data show that more than 70 percent of people have completed the series.

Consumers are understandably confused."

Wolverine,
have you ever thought of checking your genome for root of your hearing loss?
To me, they same has happened: 30 years ago, doctors claimed it must be degenerated hair cells in the cochlear.
Meanwhile I know better: Myo-6-gene mutated. This gene is a transport motor within cells, and the mutation causes signals not properly transferred in the cochlear - thus, probably all my hairs are OK - but in the end it doesn’t make much difference…

OK, meanwhile a learned a bit more about this and have to say, that my defect with Myo6 seems to exactly imply that hairs in the cochlea are not developed and maintained properly:

The Zostavax allegedly causes serious side effects, including painful rashes, hearing loss, and even blindness. If you have been given the Zostavax and suffered from any of these side effects, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, lost wages, medical bills, pain and suffering, and other losses. You need to find a lawyer that deals with medical cases.

Just wanted to share the latest news on ear hair cell regeneration! Here’s a synopsis of the study:

<<The zebrafish has emerged as a powerful model for studying sensory hair cell regeneration. Like other fish, zebrafish contain a network of sensory hair cells throughout their body to detect changes in water movement. The hair cells are located in small organs in the skin called neuromasts, which also contains cell types that are remarkably similar to those found in the mammalian inner ear. To study the genetic program of hair cell regeneration in zebrafish, we sequenced the RNA of individual cells within neuromasts, allowing us to classify cell types based on their gene expression signature. This included cells transitioning from support cells to fully mature sensory hair cells, thereby identifying new genes that are expressed during hair cell development. In addition, we characterized the role of the growth factor fgf3, and found that it acts to inhibit hair cell progenitor proliferation. Our results were published in the journal eLife on Jan. 25, 2019. Future work will examine the function of these genes in sensory hair cell regeneration.>>

Having been born BALD as an EGG in my inner ears (and no wonder I have sensorineural hearing loss!), I’m always daydreaming about the day when these hairs can be regenerated.

1 Like

Did you miss this? They have been regenerated.

1 Like

^^^ YES!! I’d totally missed that news! It sure IS significant. Now to find someone to actually treat ME for the condition …

The study summary:
About the FX-322 Phase 1/2 Trial
The trial was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, single-dose, multi-center study to assess the safety of FX-322 in 23 patients with stable sensorineural hearing loss. Patients received an intratympanic injection of either a high-dose or low-dose volume of FX-322 or placebo in one ear. Patients were evaluated at an initial follow up visit two weeks following injection and were monitored for three months. The trial was conducted at several leading otolaryngology clinics in San Antonio, TX.

Dang I wish I’d been in San Antonio area so I could’ve participated.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

That might be some time off. Phases 2 and 3 still to go, assuming things go swimmingly. I’ve mentioned this before and I’m sure other people have experienced it, but my ENT told me that that there would never be a treatment for ssn hearing loss. He probably thought it better for me, if I didn’t harbour false hopes. And now we have people walking this earth with ssn hearing loss but whose hearing is better than it was six months ago. Interesting times.

Back in August, 2018, this thread went a bit off topic on shingles vaccination as one poster thought that his/her hearing loss had something to do with shingles vaccination. Several people, including me, chimed in on their experience with shingles vaccination. A couple folks recounted that the newer, more effective vaccine, Shingrix, was very painful, etc.

Just wanted to update those reports with my own experience. I had my first shot of Shingrix about 24 hours ago. I previously had Zostavax about 8 years ago. I guess I’m one of the lucky ones. I experienced no unusual discomfort at the site of injection in my arm or in my overall disposition, alertness, any feeling of fatigue, etc. A little pain with the injection itself and maximum soreness, like a moderate bruise, about 4 hours after the injection. Today I feel great.

I got my shot at Walmart. Still had to get on a list to get the injection. The pharmacist who injected me told me that Shingrix is still in short supply but claimed that CDC has decided that the advised two to six month time window to get the 2nd REQUIRED follow-up shot for effectiveness is not supercritical. She said that if you can’t meet that window, it will be OK: the CDC says (she claimed) that the important thing is just to get the 2nd shot. She said that I can go anywhere to get the second shot and my insurance will still cover it. For the insurance that I have (Medicare, Blue Cross/Blue Shield), there is zero cost to me.

CDC advice to professionals on administering Shingrix: Herpes Zoster Shingrix Vaccine Recommendations | Shingles | CDC

On the following page, under “Dose Schedule” (down a bit), CDC discusses timing but I have been unable to find the advice the pharmacist gave me on the CDC website with a cursory search: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices for Use of Herpes Zoster Vaccines | MMWR

Just wanted to post to note the lack of any real pain with my Shingrix injection and the pharmacist’s claim that the CDC now views the most important thing is just to get the 2nd shot (a definite waiting period is required after the first shot, though).

1 Like

Jim, My experience with my first shot was like yours–essentially no symptoms. The second one I had a day with mild flu like symptoms, achy, mild fever and lethargic. Definitely glad I did it as I’ve known enough people who got Shingles to prefer to reduce my odds. My wife got her second shot at about 6 weeks and I see CDC implies that anything after 4 weeks is ok.

Had you previously had the Zostavax shingles vaccine? Just curious if some pre-existing immunity helps clamp down on the body’s reaction to Shingrix.

Yes, I had the Zostavax previously. I think this kind of stuff is remarkably random.

Hey Stefan, how does one tell a primary care doctor in the USA that you want to investigate the root cause of hearing loss that I’ve had diagnosed since I was two years old? A blood or Gene test could be helpful but I am unfamiliar with the process, cost, and keywords that I should mention

Hi gkumar,
I’m sorry, can’t tell you for USA. I’m in Gernany, there a slight indication and a short talk with your Doctor is enough to make the insurance pay for it. As far as I know such a genome analysis is several thousand dollars, but in Germany the patient doesn’t know the costs.
Best regards, Stefan D.

Could it be Dove’s revenge?

I’ve been hearing about hair cell regeneration for about 20 years, and they always say it’s about 5-10 years away. That 5-10 year window keeps shifting into the future. I guess it’s more difficult than they thought. Still, I’m hoping for a cure in my lifetime, but I wish they would hurry, I’m not getting any younger :wink:

Bob

2 Likes

Ha! Probably…

It does sound like they’re making progress as they are in clinical trials, but I’m reminded that over 25 years ago I read that genetic research would lead to targeted treatments for autism. That has never come to pass.

What they didn’t say was that 5-10 year window was for them to get a clue. Then it was another 5-10 years for them to work out what to do with the clue. From there it’s 5-10 years of clinical trials to satisfy the FDA.

We’ve reached the point where largish pharma has just paid Frequency Therapeutics 80 million USD for the privilege of paying a whole lot more to Frequency Therapeutics for the rights to market their drug if trials are successful. A phase 2a trial should start in the last quarter of this year.

Someone my wife knew was told not to worry about managing his diabetes because a cure was just around the corner. May he r.i.p.