HA Trial Deductible

My audi has a $300 deductible on the trial period for HAs. This means I pay three hundred to be fitted and I get to try them for a month and if I buy them the three hundred goes toward the price. If I don’t wish to buy them at the end of the month, the deductible is non-refundable.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who may be reading this who has experience with trying out hearing aids before buying them. I’m wondering if a deductible is par for the course and if so, is this amount about right?

I don’t mind going along with this if it’s pretty much how the industry’s set up, but being new to this, I just want to make sure this $300 deductible is not way off track.

I’m relatively new at this forum, but it’s most impressive. Thanks everybody; hoping to hear back soon from any of you reading this who may be able to inform me more on this issue.

. . . thanks!

I believe when I bought aids the first time 6 years ago, there was a $150 fee. That was for in the ear aids.

I can understand a fee of $150 to $300 to cover the cost of impressions for custom molds or shells, or for open fit receiver tubes, and the audiologist’s time.

For open fit thin tube BTE aids, my audiologist had a demo pair, and other than a small charge for the open fit tubes and her time, I don’t think there would have been any fee to me this last time.

Some states have 0 deductible, like california right?

But on the flip side, the price are so much more expensive…

At many places you can negotiate things like this. Remember that any business that sells hearing aids is in the business of selling hearing aids. So if it comes down to earning your business or not, they should be able to waive or reduce this non-refundable amount.

However, if they don’t expect you to pay until after the trial period, it is not unreasonable for them to take some money from you to protect themselves against you running off and not bringing the aids back.

As xbulder suggested, the law does vary by State too. My state says that I can charge a ‘reasonable’ fee for my time and expenses, which is considered to be less than say 10% of the purchase price.