HA Suggestions for high frequency loss?

Hi,
I have been trolling this forum for months. I have a profound high frequency loss and am not totally satisfied with the Costco gn resound “Vivid Stratus”. They sound not much better than my 6 year old Metrix and Canta 7. I would like suggestions on what other models/brands I might consider since I think the Vivids are not working out. I wear BTE with custom hard plastic mold and this will be my 3rd pair purchase. I am an active, 52 year old.
Thanks for all your help!!
R 250 - 25 L 250 - 50
500 - 40 500- 45
1K - 65 1K - 70
2K - 90 2K - 100
3K - 105 3K - 95
4K - 110 4K - 110
6K - 115 6K - 115
8K - 100 8K -100

Oticon Sumo Dm ( although old technology) or Phonak spice (V or IX) UP.

No quite sure about that one. Cassia UP would be an option.

Why are you wearing a hard mould? You would appear to be a better candidate for a soft-shell carved mould.

For this kind of loss, there are two reasons to try Starkey. One is an incredible anti-feedback system that gives you more usable gain than anything else. And two, the new frequency transposition system is a break through for high frequency loss and can be beneficial in cases like yours. Although that said, with your loss it could still be tricky.

Starkey just launched the X Series Power Plus BTE, which is a monster in terms of power, and gives an exceptional clean sound with amazing background noise reduction.

I’ve only had a chance to let about five patients listen to it so far (it is an overkill for most losses), but the results were fabulous.

http://starkeypro.com/public/professionals/products/hearing-aids/x-series/power-plus-bte.jsp

ZCT , how does the frequency transposition work in starkey aids? what’s the difference with the soundrecover?

Up until a couple of months ago there were two major versions of frequency transposition.

1. Compress

The entire frequency range is compressed or pushed into the lower registers. Almost like it is being squeezed from high frequencies to lower frequencies.

1. Cut and paste

The higher frequencies are literally chopped out, and replayed in real time at the lower frequencies.

Both of these techniques have major flaws in creating a natural sound.

The new way of doing it can be thought of as copy and paste. With this technique all frequencies are amplified as if there were no frequency transposition going on at all. But then a section of the high frequency sound is copied and transposed into the lower frequency area, simultaneously and in real time overlaid on top of all the other sound.

By doing it this way you preserve the opportunity for the ear to actually pick up on the high frequency sound, BUT you also give some other sections of the cochlea a chance to hear the sounds too.

In the Starkey system the volume of the transposed sound and the bandwidth of the transposed sound can be adjusted. People with severe to profound high frequency hearing loss were clinically found to obtain better S Test scores (where singular and plural words are read from a random but balanced list, to see if the patient could tell if the word was singular or plural; hard to do if you don’t hear letter S sounds well).

It’s an interesting new way to attempt to help people with serious high frequency losses.

I would avoid the UP versions of the Cassia/solana/Ambra because the amount of high-frequency gain you need is close to the max output of those circuits already. For longevity, I’d go straight to a Naida S (SP or UP). They just came out with a Naida S RIC style actually…so that is an option if you are interested in the smaller RIC style. I’d probably stick with the more traditional BTE since that is what you are wearing now/used to. If you’re young and active then I’d steer more towards the V or IX for the features. The Stereozoom really is pretty cool and worth the money if you are in restaurants/background noise a lot.

I have had good success with the Naida’s in severe-profound losses…

Believe it or not the soft shell is extremely painful. I have tried three different times. My ears are extremely small (like a child) and extremely sensitive. The hard plastic mold at -15% is a comfortable fit.