HA makes ear itchy

In my trial we ordered just the gold plated ear molds, and I tried wearing them without hearing aids. After I was confident that I could tolerate the molds, we ordered the aids. The molds were $400, with a 90 day guarantee. I did not check to find out if that was a money back guarantee. It was more likely a guarantee of fit. See who has Siemens products in your area and see if they can help. I checked all over, and Siemens is the only outfit that I could that offered the plating as an option. Went to Cosco, who handles Siemens products under the Cosco label, but there mold lab didn’t have plating available.

Great points! I will mention that to my wife.

I’ve been wearing Phonak Audeo IXSmart’s for several months and am very satisfied with them so far. I do have a question though: I wear glasses and sometimes the microphones rubbing against my hair and head or something cause a crackling noise when i’m chewing or moving my head around vigorously. Any of you run into this problem? Any suggestion on eliminating the issue?
Thanks,
Jim

PS: I love the icom and the way it works. Only wish I could up the volum once in a while

My new Verite 9’s do the same thing. I don’t know that there is a solution. I can up the volume with the Soundgate which is really nice.

I have custom made molds and although it was years ago I do remember the molds itching. Nothing terrible just enough to be annoying. My audi gave me a tiny bottle of Miracell and told me to just put a tiny bit on each mold. Not only does the stuff work but it makes it much easier to slide the mold into the ear canal. Get a small bottle. The stuff lasts forever.

Jim,
Only way I solved problem was to let my hair grow longer, however, once I get it cut I’m back to the hair hitting the microphones. I did find that when I have short hair and wear my HA sweat bands I don’t have a problem.

Thanks, I started out with custom ear molds that I couldn’t get to work for me (very uncomfortable). But it’s nice to know I’m not the only one with itchy ear’s while wearing HA’s.:smiley:
Not familiar with the gell mentioned in the above post but will try to find some.
Thanks again,
Jim

Jim,
My wife uses the ICom and says you adjust the volume on the HA up or down. Have you tried doing this? How long did you try the earmolds for? Mine were uncomfortable for a few weeks but now I don’t even know they are in my ears.

I use a solution of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% vinegar and put the drops in my ear after swimming. The alcohol gets rid of the water and the vinegar keeps fungus away. My wife’s ENT told her about this. I always use cotton swabs on a stick to dry out my ears before and after doing this. But that can be dangerous if you’re not careful.

I got a little device that has a UV light, a dessicant brick to absorb moisture, and a gentle low-heat forced air fan. Somebody told me that bacteria on the aids can cause the itching so I think the UV light is what kills that. Mine is called a Store and Dry or a Dry and Store (cant remember the exact name), but you put your aids in them at night and press a button. The UV light only stays on for a little bit, but the dryer has a longer cycle. My ears quit itching after I started using it. I order the dessicant bricks that hold the moisture removed on line.

This probably wouldn’t do much good, since here ears start itching shortly after putting them in. She is getting ready to start wearing them again and has gotten some Miracel.

I used to have the same problem until I started using disposable alcohol wipes on the portion of the aid that touches my ear daily.

MVP,
My molds itched when I first got them for the first several weeks, not all the time but periodically though out the day. However, I soldiered on wearing them and probably by the 3rd week the itching basically stopped and only happens once in a while now. My Audi said it could of been caused by having a foreign body in my ear and it took my body awhile to get used to it.

Witch Hazel… I q-tip canal when I take them out in the evening and before I put them in the next morning. I also wipe down the molds when I take them out and let them air dry over night.

Thanks, I will let my wife know.