HA digital signal processing power/speed

All other things being equal (I know they are not) theoretically HAs with a faster processing chip/circuitry (or dual or quad processors if there is such a thing for HAs) should work better than slower ones as they could do more calculations or do them faster. I mean why wouldn’t the same thing that applies for computer CPUs of GPUs also apply to HAs?

Just like cell phones I would guess that faster ones chew through batteries faster.

I suppose faster ones could be bogged down by asking them to do too many calculations.

But where does one find info on how fast are the DSP is in the various brands of HAs?

Size, you can only shrink so much before reaching a barrier. CPU’s reached that limitation and they now have multi cores packed in a chip because they can’t shrink any more.

Power, no such thing as a free ride. The more computations required, the more electricity it will need. Batteries provide a finite amount of power.

Economies of scale. Silicon chip manufacturers spend millions to develop a new chip. Their largest customers commit to buying millions of units to bring the costs down. Since HA manufacturers do not have the buying power of computer manufacturers, they either use existing chips or pay higher prices for custom built chips and circuits.

Form factors, people don’t want to wear big boxes that have large batteries that last a year. They want invisible or hard to notice. The technology exists today to do all kinds of sound manipulation. It is too big to carry around, look at music recording studios.

Software development costs. The more choices one wants, the the more the software costs will increase to harness those choices. The HA industry has now reached a point where new features are now downloaded into the hardware instead of redesigning the hardware which is quite expensive when compared to software changes.

So the one word answer to your question is: COMPROMISE

Who do we have to thank for the level of sophistication we have today? Our government who spent trillions of dollars on the NASA Space Race, military-industrial applications that spinned off the technologies we use today.

I appreciate that the size/style of HAs could limit the processor(s) power/speed but they all fall within a reasonable range.

The size may be more of a limiting factor for the output power to fit the range to a hearer with profound hearing loss rather the processing of souinds.

But what I am asking is irrespective of that which manufacturer’s HAs have the fastest, most power set of digital signal processors for their high end units.

My answer applied to the root of your question.

The obvious answer is all the top of the line models for each manufacturer are covered by proprietary and company confidential laws and agreements to protect the investment they made developing their product.

The lower end aids are no longer protected and become “open-source” products where anyone can now copy and make them. So they are retired or obsoleted for that reason and because the components are no longer manufactured. Re-engineering obsolete products is not worth the cost for them. China and other emerging countries do copy and re-engineer the products for pennies on the dollar. Quality does suffer as a result of that.

The other part of the answer that is implied but not asked that you have to consider is the hardware/software symbiotic relationship. You can have the most “powerful” chip or circuit on the market, if one cannot manage those resources with the software and make it easily available to the users and audi’s … It is useless.

The early versions of Phonak Spice software is a good example.

While I readily admit not being an expert with HA’s, I am an expert on hardware/software platforms and these issues parallel many industries.

Cliff’s Notes or Cole’s Notes answer:

One cannot look at one component to judge the efficacy of a product. One has to look at the big picture … hardware, software, training, tech support, audi competency, audi support.

Any focus on just one item is pure marketing bull poopie.

Currently… You are a breath of fresh air. Keep posting. Ed

But where does one find info on how fast are the DSP is in the various brands of HAs?

How do you judge a PC? CPU speed? Memory size? CPU cache size? Number of cores? Operating system? Screen resolution? Graphics speed? Total weight? Dust resistance? Fan noise? Number of USB ports? Power consumption? Fancy brand name? Price? Warranty?

As noted in an earlier post, very little is ‘binary’ YES/NO in this world.

As you well know: ‘FLOps’ :wink:

And to the original poster: it’s a question of juice. The more cycles and heat, the greater the current draw. You have an operating voltage of 1.0-1.2V and an engineering trade-off to make the battery last as long as possible. The faster you ‘clock’ the chip, the more uAmp you burn.

I just finished a trial with Oticon Acto Pros – 6 channels I believe… I am now using Unitron Moxi 20s with 20 channels and the diff is amazing – generally more channels does not necessarily mean better performance I am told, but I think to handle more channels the hardware has to be beefier… the dynamics in the moxis between environs and subtlty and smoothness of change that happens is almost instant and quite amazing in my experience…