Good Costco Experience getting KS10’s (long)

I really don’t know. All I saw was that the Target update added in Active Vent as a choice. The KS10’s shell is different than the P90 (you can see the Mic slits are situated different). So it is possible that the Active won’t fit the KS10. Don’t really know for sure, maybe Cliff got it right.

Nope, I was getting confused between his Audeo Life video and the one on ActiveVent. Hardware wise, it should work fine provided the app supports it!

The KS10 shell looks mightily like the Nathos Nova, a made for the NHS aid. I was awaiting a replacement HA from the NHS and wondered what I’d get (not this…).

OP Update after 2 weeks, (and after today’s followup visit at Costco)

No change in my earlier stated opinions, the KS10s still seem great for me, as does the Costco service. Some more observations:

• I find I never make manual adjustments or pre-programmed setting groups. The auto setting seems to get it each time.

• That said, I learned today from the HIS that the KS10s have two types of programs: some user selectable programs to choose from (Restaurant, Music, TV), and a lot more “invisible” programs that the KS10 chooses automatically from, and which cannot be manually seen or selected. For example, it’s Car program kicks in automatically and it’s not a user selectable program. I think there are a bunch more. All good with me, but good to know… I was wondering where those programs were in the app.

• The sound is really good. I can hear girlfriend almost perfectly. I do still ask her to repeat occasionally. She say’s I am ten times better than before and that I don’t ignore her anymore. (We’ll see.)

• Only one noisy restaurant test so far, but inconclusive since we sat outside, but all was good.

• These are my first HAs and I expected an adjustment period, based on my online study/readings. But from the start I wore these from the moment I woke up till going to bed, and seemed right the whole time. Easy to wear; forget I have them. But when I take them off it feels like sound proof ear muffs are put on my ears.

• Nice to hear birds, frogs, crickets again.

• I forgot to mention last time: On first fitting I saw the HIS set these to 80% of full level (as others have said they would), but when I asked her when she would change it to 100% she said the KS10s were set to automatically slowly ramp up to 100% over about 4- 6 weeks. Could explain ease with adjusting to these.

• I am finding the iPhone connection via Bluetooth (BT) generally good for calls, music, and audiobooks. A few unexpected refusals to connect, but no more than I had with other BT earbuds, and restarting KS10s fixed it each time. Really cool to always have equivalent of earbuds already in ears when calls come in.

• At first BT with Mac would not stay connected. But then after 2 days it started working fine. No idea why.

• Got a used Phonak TV Connector on eBay, and oh man, is TV dialog clear now, unbelievably clear. Absolutely no need for subtitles. Not so with KS10’s listening to TV speakers across the room–doing that is better but nowhere near as clear as when using TV connector

• Today’s Costco followup was quick and effective. I came in with a few minor KS10 complaints and she adjusted for them: audiobooks when in car max vol was too low; fixed. Updated firmware (supposed to fix slight static during phone calls). Asked her to add some more bass to music program; worked. Different domes to reduce slight slippage of domes; worked. But did not do another REM test, I assume because I told her they were generally working well.

• So all fixes really good. Clearly, the HIS knows this KS10 inside and out, no hesitation or confusion on how to adjust anything.

• I asked about the active receivers; she said she thinks they will be offering them in a month or two.

• Then went shopping in Costco store and bought way too much stuff. Need to add that as main problem with buying HAs at Costco. :neutral_face:

7 Likes

Costco, home of the $100 lunch.

1 Like

$1.50 for the hotdog and 98.50 for all the other stuff you buy? :>)

5 Likes

I’m happy that the Costco hearing aid center I go to is close to the front door. I can get in and out without spending anything.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I’m scheduled for a hearing exam in a couple of weeks and I’m very excited to see their options (leaning towards the KS10).

Not impressed with the private Audiologist I have seen. I’m trialing Oticon More 1 but not fully impressed with it. I think there are some issues with how it’s set up and it doesn’t play nice with android.

Hoping to find a good fit at Costco for a fraction of the price ($700-900 range instead of $3325 for a single hearing aid).

The HIS I spoke with on the phone was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Mike, great review of your Costco experience. Just to confirm, you can handle phone calls with no other mic - like the iPhone mic? Phone calls use the mic on the KS10’s?

Also, on my current Audicus hearing aids - I’m on the 45 day free trial - the music quits and pauses if I put the iPhone in my pocket while walking. Never had that issue with Apple Airpods.

I ran a company years ago that sold to CostCo - I came back with a lot of respect for them. You have to deliver a good product or you as the vendor will eat it. Costco is my number one choice to buy a product at if I can (i.e., if not then there is always Amazon).

I keep hearing about other hearing aids and features but for the price can you think of any reason why someone would not want the KS10’s?

Thanks again.

Yes to both. Occasionally the day starts without them connected, but rare. Usually from morning to evening every call comes in with HAs already connected to the iPhone. No steps to connect them. And when I go to make calls fully connected. On week four and no regrets.

Mike, thank you for your feedback. As I mentioned I have Audicus waves right now. Should be working just fine but when the trail.’s Over I will probably go to the chaos tense. They just they could not get me in for an appointment till Thanksgiving week.