Going crazy with my Hearing Aids

I received new Oticon hearing aids from the VA. Model is OCN RIC. The problem is that the right may seem that it is very low in volume or the left is very low in volume. These are blue tooth so when my cell phone rings I get it thru the cell phone. BUT, sometimes the volume on that is low or sometimes high.

Today 2/5/18 the left hearing aid doesn’t see that it has any volume yet it says I have it up to number 3 on the app on my cell phone. I have contacted support and they keep telling me to cancel the app then restart it. Guess What…I keep doing that and still it doesn’t help. Just thought the people would like to know this in case it’s happening to them.

I think you mean Oticon Opn RICs. Tell you VA fitter to go to End Fitting, Click the Phone Tab, and move the Phone Loudness slider.
Capture

Would the volume setting on the cellphone have any bearing? If it’s low will it come out to the HA as low?

I din’t think so. I think the cellphone volume = cellphone speaker volume.

Here’s a link that shows the settings for both ears, or for each ear individually. Also, you have other settings for sound quality/Bass, how much you want to hear from your microphones while taking a cellphone call.

1 Like

Last time I talked with a VA hearing aid technical support person (not the audiologist) she thought that the rear microphone was the only/one microphone on a miniRITE BTE. I politely showed her where the front microphone is located. I know that she understands now, because she had some stethoscope-thingy that she was using to check the rear mic and she moved it to the front mic while brushing the mic to clean it.
Capture

1 Like

pvc: Thanks for your answer. I also went to the Hearing Aid tech.support here in Los Angeles. She has helped but have to go to her again.

Can’t understand. BTW do your hearing aids seem to use a lot of batteries

Too new to say how long batteries last.

Started a new thread on Opn accessories settings;
Opn Phone/TV Adapter/ConnectClip sound settings for quality/bass/mic

I assume that you use an iPhone? If so, you really don’t need to use the Oticon ON app. Use the Apple MFI Hearing Devices in their Settings (under Settings/General/Accessibility/MFI Hearing Devices) to control your OPN volumes instead when streaming through with the iPhone. It’s much better and gives you more information than the ON app.

If there’s no volume at all in one of the 2 hearing aids, go to the MFI Hearing Devices/OPN connection page at the top and see if the side not heard is connecting. If you see a circling icon on that side, it means that it’s not connecting for some reason. The most direct way is to select Forget This Device at the bottom, reset your OPNs (by open and close the battery door), then Connect and Re-Pair both OPNs.

If both are connecting but one is lower in volume than the other all the times, it may be that your audi did not set the volume to be balanced in the first place. You should have your audi adjust them to be balanced. But in the meantime while waiting for your appointment, go into the MFI Hearing Devices page, select the OPN connection page, and enable Adjust independently. You can then adjust the left and right volume sliders separately to achieve a more balanced sound until your next audi visit.

The volume setting/level on my iPhone definitely affects the call volume streamed; also loudness of iPad streaming is controlled or adjusted on the iPad. Of course this is ‘tweaking the incoming volume’ after Audi did the initial programing, as all calls or streaming are not necessarily consistent. I inadvertently turn down my cell volume with a new cell phone case I am using, so I’ve quickly learned it affects the volume I hear.
@bc121 If the battery is very low, (20% maybe?) the aid will drop Bluetooth or not connect. Every time you delete the ON app, and reload the app, you have to set the preference for individual volume as suggested by Volusiano.

Thanks for clarifying Mago.

Okay, I’m still confused; Are we talking about 3 different iPhone volume sliders plus the volume settings programmed into the hearing aids? Can we narrow this down on which iPhone volume sliders to use?

1. The cellphone volume
  2. Volume sliders in the Oticon ON App
  3. Volume sliders in Apple MFI Hearing Devices in their Settings (under settings/General/Accessibility/MFI Hearing Devices)

I think what @Volusiano is saying is; don’t use the Oticon ON App unless you are a multiple gadget control freak, use the /General/Accessibility/MFI Hearing Devices sliders instead.

As for the cellphone volume (plain old make my cellphone louder), does that raise the volume in the hearing aids?

My iPhone 7s volume is always high. I also can adjust my hearing aids thru the App which I downloaded. Just today the left hearing aid doesn’t work yet I put in a new battery.

Thanks Mago…I have downloaded the App on my iPhone 7s. The volume on my iPhone is always high. Just today the left hearing aid is not working and I put a new battery in it

Yes. On my iPhone6. (Not instead of programing in software.)

These sliders control the outside mics - not the streamed volume of cell phone.

I completely agree.

If @bc121 is reloading and using the ON app, it is important to set the preference to adjust left /right volume independently each time the app is reloaded. The On app is good for information firmware version.
MFI in iPhone is very easy and clear to use for changing programs and volume.

Also, I would give the hearing aids a thorough clean, change the wax guards and even consider changing the packet of batteries to a new one (will get the odd packet of faulty batteries). all of these can influence aid performance and at a minimum will be able to rule out these factors

Mago is correct, the iPhone volume control via their volume buttons is for streaming volume only. In fact, it’s the ONLY option I know of for iPhone streaming volume control.

For mic (on the OPN volume), either use the manual buttons on the OPN (which is still my preferred method because I don’t even have to reach for the iPhone every time), or use the MFI Hearing Devices sliders (which you can quickly access by 3 quick clicks on the Home button), or via the ON app (which you will have to open and wait for the OPN to establish connection to the app).

I would only use the MFI Hearing Device slider if I already have my iPhone in hand doing something else. Then I can just triple click on the Home button and I’m there already. Don’t need to reach up to my OPN manual buttons.

I would never bother with the ON app for mic volume control because like I said, you’d already have the phone in hand, wake the phone up, login to the phone, turn on the ON app, wait for the OPNs to connect on both sides, before you can touch the mic volume control. Way too much trouble. I hardly ever touch the ON app at all ever unless I want to see what firmware version my OPNs are on.

If you’re in TV Adaptor mode, then you can control the TV streaming volume in a few ways. I normally just change the volume of my TV if its output is a variable volume input into the TV Adapter. But if you turn it down too low, the TV Adapter would go into standby if not detecting the threshold volume level after a few minutes. So if the threshold volume level from the TV has to be high enough to keep the TV Adapter from going into standby and you find that this level is too loud for your OPN, then I’d use the manual button on the left OPN to turn it down to my liking. That would also turn down the mic volume however.

To avoid turning down the mic volume in conjunction with the TV Adapter volume, I would use the MFI Hearing Device TV Box slider (which is separate from the Mic slider). This way, the Mic will be at normal volume so you can hear surrounding sounds while listening comfortably to the TV.

One thing worthy to note is that in the TV Adapter mode, if you adjust the Mic volume (either via the manual buttons or via the MFI HD Mic slider), it has an effect both on the Mic volume and the TV Box volume. You’d think that Oticon should keep the TV Box volume independent from the Mic slider/manual buttons, but I don’t know why they chose to tie them together.

On the other hand, if you’re in the iPhone streaming mode, the Mic slider control and the iPhone volume control are not tied together, which is how it should be for both this mode or the TV Box mode. So let’s say if you’re in a noisy car and want to block out the external mic noise completely, turn down the Mic slider or manual OPN button to zero, and you’ll be able to hear only the iPhone streaming volume. You can then adjust the iPhone streaming volume to the level you like.

Wow!! Thanks guys. I have learned a lot about this subject that I have been ignoring. I have come to this conclusion; It’s very complicated. Even before the additional option of using the ConnectClip.

@Volusiano I am still struggling with the TV Adapter. You have confirmed how it works for me…not ideal… I have a quick Audi appt later this week, and really want to fix this - not sure how or if he can do anything other than increase volume. I do not have a copy of my latest hearing test. I will get it, as well as pages of the programing as soon as we get close to what I keep. I take good notes, and keep good records.
My TV and Fios cable box are set to variable, yet I cannot adjust the volume going to the TV adapter with either tv or cable box remote. Do you think the cable box is affecting the way the TV Adapter is (not) behaving? I was able to adjust volume when using Streamer Pro and 1st generation Streamer.
Thanks for helping.

I’m not clear what you’re struggling with. I assume you mean you don’t get enough volume from the TV Adapter to your OPN, despite already turning up the TV Box volume slider all the way up to 100%?

Are you driving the TV Adapter with the RCA input or the Toslink optical input? Are you driving the TV Adapter with the TV or with your cable box?

The TV or Cable box may be set to variable output BUT that may apply to the RCA output only and its Toslink output may be fixed level. If you’re driving the TV Adapter with Toslink that has fixed volume and it’s not loud enough for you, maybe try to drive the TV Adapter with the RCA output instead.