GN ReSound will launch wireless in 2010

ReSound today announced a new CEO. In the news release, there is also mention of them launching wireless this year (2010).

ReSound and Starkey are the last of the Big-6 to introduce wireless. Widex previewed its wireless at EUHA (very nice), with a launch planned this month.

http://bit.ly/8X1Zag

they should raise the bar, Jabra knows about bluetooth- they can certainly do it!
lets hope they do a good job

Resound Alera will be shipping in June 2010.

Interesting:

“You will also be able to discover the benefits of strong and clear connections to devices like TVs and mobile phones, with no cables, or extra uncomfortable accessories to wear.”

Now that WOULD be worth shouting about…

It will come with a build-in bluetooth-antenna…

Seriously? You could listen to music or TV without an extra device? I am still in my trial period with the Agils. I wonder if these would be worth waiting for.

That’s really great.

I love the competition of the hearing aid companies. This is for the better of us.

I thought the power requirements of bluetooth were way in excess of hearing aid batteries. ?

Exactly. This is a classic marketing teaser (with no details). We will see…

I found this on another website:

“ReSound Alera receives clear sound directly from the TV, computer and other audio sources from up to 7 m (22.97 ft) away, saving the user from the hassle of carrying a device around the neck as required when using current wireless hearing aids, the company pointed out.
The product uses 2.4 GHz wireless technology, which allows customers to avoid echoes and issues related to the lack of synchronization between images and sound and can be used in all markets worldwide and does not interfere with other electronic devices.
Initially, ReSound Alera will be available as a true compact receiver-in-the-ear (RIE) product in three price points, the company said without naming the exact prices for the high-end product.”

It really sounds interesting. I E-mailed my audi to see if she knows anything more about them.

That’s great indeed.

Other companies will enter this field as well, and all to the better of us.
:slight_smile:

GN ReSound introduces a groundbreaking advance in wire- less hearing aids
Today, GN ReSound is pleased to introduce ReSound AleraTM – its new groundbreaking advance in wireless hearing aids. The official announcement takes place at the annual conference for the American Academy of Audiology – AudiologyNOW! 2010 in San Diego, USA.
ReSound AleraTM receives crystal clear sound directly from the TV, computer and other audio sources from up to 7 meters away, saving the user from the hassle of carrying a device around the neck as required when using current wireless hearing aids. This is made possible by ReSound UniteTM which is a series of easy-to-use wireless accessories to be attached to the audio source.
Unique sound quality is one of the key features in ReSound AleraTM which is employing the revolutionary Surround Sound by ReSoundTM technology delivering a rich and crisp 360-degree sound.
ReSound AleraTM uses 2.4 GHz wireless technology which has a stronger, clearer and more stable signal than the inductive technology used in current wireless hearing aids. With this technology users avoid echoes and issues related to the lack of synchronization between images and sound. The 2.4 GHz technology can be used in all markets through- out the world and does not interfere with other electronic devices.
The slim, curved shape makes for an extremely discreet design and provides a comforta- ble fit and natural feeling, and ReSound AleraTM has recently received the prestigious red dot design award for its groundbreaking design.
GN ReSound’s SVP for Research & Development, Peter Ulrik Scheel says: “With Re- Sound AleraTM we have taken a huge step in making wireless hearing aids easier to use, and at the same time we are delivering unique performance and design. Our technology is delivering groundbreaking advances in the field of wireless hearing aids. With the launch of ReSound AleraTM, GN ReSound has delivered a significant advance on a research initi- ative that has been under way for some time.”
Initially ReSound AleraTM comes as a true compact receiver-in-the-ear (RIE) product in three price points. Additional form factors will be added to the product family over the next 12 months. ReSound AleraTM will be shipping from June 2010.
For further information, please contact:
Mikkel Danvold Director, IR & Communications
GN Store Nord A/S Tel: +45 45 75 00 00

So you will still need (to buy) a transmission unit for the TV/PC to take the audio and broadcast it.

No mention of how this will be done for mobile phones?

no cables, or extra uncomfortable accessories to wear." does not mean “no accessories”.

Check the website pic. The model is either boldly wearing a somewhat conspicuous accessory or a little magpie has perched on her bosom.

No Holy Grail here.

John

I noticed that when I first looked at it, but it didn’t seem to fit with what they were saying about it. Could the thing she is wearing be a microphone for a cell phone? She has something in her hand that looks like it could be a cell phone. For phone usage, you would still need something close to your mouth. At least she isn’t wearing it around her neck. :slight_smile: To me that would still be a big improvement. The Streamer doesn’t work at all unless you wear it with the cord around your neck. Needing to attach something to the audio source wouldn’t be a big deal. I wonder if there would still be the possibility of a Bluetooth wireless connection between the audio source and the accessory.

My audi is going to a ReSound seminar on Thursday and she said she would let me know what she finds out. So far she knows nothing about it. She did say this about ReSound:

“I do use Resound and what I have found in the past is that if you have been wearing Oticon hearing aids, it is very difficult to switch to Resound aids. Oticon is known for their speech clarity and emphasis on the high frequencies (which some people find as harsh or sharp) where Resound is known for a more comfortable listening experience (in some ways sacrificing clarity).”

Does anyone agree or disagree?

There is a new low power Bluetooth on the horizon, maybe this is the first device to use the new technology.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iv0x2RuNv8POIQEgeEl23dKNea_wD9F6IJ8O0

Wow, that really sounds great. I’d say the wireless capability of hearing aids is going to change in the near future. However, it does say:

“However, for a cell phone to connect to the watch, the cell phone needs to have a Bluetooth chip that’s compatible with the new low-energy version. Phones with existing Bluetooth chips won’t be able to connect.”

So until cell phones and audio devices start being made with the new Bluetooth chip, I would assume that an intermediary device would still be necessary. It sounds like eventually we will be able to wirelessly connect to devices directly without the need for any kind of extra device. Cool.

yeap this is the future, I dont think it will be a reality for about 4 yrs…