GN launching a Jabra branded M&RIE product at Costco

My fitter wears aids herself, and I find I can communicate with her easily. We have a trust relationship, and she’s willing to try anything I ask her to. It’s been an education for both of us.

1 Like

I saw my Costco fitter yesterday, and swapped out the M&RIE for the regular receiver like I started with. I like the sound of the M&RIE, but I guess I have small ear canals because they hurt. I thought I would adjust, but after two weeks I just couldn’t take it anymore. Also even though I like the sound and the “effect” I really think I understand speach better with the standard receiver. Don’t know why but in some cases I think I understand better with the regular. Anyway, I’m very happy with the Jabras, and glad to have my standard medium receiver back.

Have had the Jabras for over 6 weeks now, and am sold on them, no need to try anything else. They work great for me.

5 Likes

I’m curious to know from Jabra/One users how well UltraFocus works in a very noisy environment, like a restaurant with lots of bare surfaces and lots of reflected sound (always the worst situation for me). A particularly interesting comparison might be how Jabra/One Ultrafocus compares to the focusing ability, say, of a Roger Pen or a Roger On, but then only someone with the broad experience in HA wearing of @efigalaxie might know the answer to that one!

I picked up my Jabra Enhanced Pro M&RIE hearing aids from Costco August 9th, and now after 2 weeks I am impressed!

I have tried Kirkland Signature 10s (a disappointing experience, but maybe because I had mine within a few days of announcement and the program bugs weren’t worked out yet) and have had Resound LiNX 3D and most recently Resound Preza’s.

The Resound Preza was excellent, but the Jabra (It’s a rebranded Resound One) is a step ahead, much more natural voice, no wind noise, streams flawlessly, during the last two weeks I have been in numerous different environments, the ultra focus works for me as it should, I highly recommend for moderate hearing loss. By the way my receiver’s are M&RIC. I have an iPhone12 max that is used with the HA’s.

Chuckokie

5 Likes

Thanks for your comments, Jim!
My experience is that “earth shaking bass” is actually felt, rather than heard. Of course it contributes virtually nothing to human speech understanding, which likely explains why hearing aid manufacturers have historically not pursued it.
BTW, I enjoy pipe organ performances in LARGE auditoriums! :wink:
Thanks again. Best, Bob.

1 Like

I think “The times they are a-changin’…” Perhaps some HA OEM’s haven’t gotten the word that there’s BT and music streaming, which to some is a very important consideration. Humans can actually hear down to about 20 Hz, although I agree at a certain low frequency and volume, you feel it, too. So I think even in speech with “old-fashioned” hearing aids, you might not appreciate James Earl Jones voice or an octavist’s voice in an opera or a cello. All these sounds can hit 65 Hz (Jones’ voice is rumored to be able to reach 50 Hz). Perhaps if hearing aids are only tested and spec’d down to ~100 Hz because of average male and female human voice frequencies, some HA’s just “accidentally” manage to do a better job in the even lower frequencies that we occasionally hear in human voices and can enjoy hearing coming from musical instruments. I think these days that just considering human voice reproduction in designing a HA would be old-fashioned low tech, like making a classic phone receiver that only reproduces 300 to 3400 Hz sound!

1 Like

I’ve had my Jabra Enhance Pro with M&RIE aids for a little over a week now and they are working well for me. It’s like they have given me back my hearing, or at least a good part of it. The Jabra app works fine on my Galaxy S10+ in full screen mode. However, I have problems when I run it in a pop-up window. It works OK for a while and then fails in a couple of ways. Sometimes it becomes very slow and I think the app is frozen, but then it responds many seconds later. Other times, it appears to be working, but it is not changing anything on the aids. Sometimes I need to turn the aids off then back on again to get things working right again. So my question if whether anyone if successfully running the app in a pop-up window, and if so is there anything special that needs to be done for it to work.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I returned my M&RIE Jabra’s about 3 weeks after getting them. This was primarily based on their poor streaming performance. I’ve written about this before, but with any streaming, including phone calls, sometimes the sound was centered as it should be, other times I would hear the sound separately in each ear (presumably a left/right sync issue). And I couldn’t walk down the street with my phone in my shorts pocket without losing connection to the aid on the other side. And music was just awful, with no bass (despite maximizing this in programming by the fitter, and in the app). I don’t expect full rich sound, but this was ridiculous.

I found the App to be glitchy, often losing connection, or if I walked away from the phone, it wouldn’t reconnect with the App when I got back in range. And in my car, using Android Auto, calls went to my hearing aids, rather than the car’s system, requiring me to manually switch connection on the phone or the car’s display.

I think this all relates to the ASHA method of BT LE connection to my phone (Galaxy S21 Ultra). And I expect at least some of these issues will be addressed with future firmware updates. I even called Jabra’s tech support people about this, twice, but never got a sense that this had risen enough to their attention to expect anything soon.

Regarding their regular Hearing Aid performance, they didn’t clearly beat out the Widex Unique 330’s I’ve been using for the past 4 years. But in fairness, given the short time frame, it is possible or even likely we never tuned them sufficiently to get the best out of them.

I go tomorrow to get the KS10’s, and am hoping for better performance all around. Time will tell.

FWIW.

Dear DLCPhoto
Not sure what was going on with your Jabra aids, but for what it’s worth I’m using Jabras to stream books on tape. Phone in shorts pocket, no problem: phone in another room, no problem; phone 25 feet away. no problem. I use an iPhone 12 mini, so maybe it’s a phone issue. No problems with the app either. which I find much better than the Phillips app. I have both the Phillips aids and the Jabras.

2 Likes

Glad it’s working well for you, and it could very well be an Android vs iPhone thing. I have seen posts from others (Android as well, IIRC) who were experiencing the same problems I was.

As I said, I wouldn’t be surprised if this gets fixed with future firmware (or App) updates, but I decided I couldn’t just keep them hoping for that to happen.

I am a new HA user just approaching 2 weeks with my Jabras, but streaming from my Galaxy S10+ has been solid so far. I walk about an hour every morning and since getting my Jabras I stream Amazon Music while I walk. I keep my phone in my pocket while I walk and it streams without problems. At home, I keep the phone out somewhere, and it streams fine if I am in the same room. I would guess the bluetooth range is at least 20 ft line of sight, but less through walls. I had one occurrence where sound from my right aid started cutting in and out at the start of my walk. I took the phone out of my pocket and moved it up closer to the aids, but that didn’t help. I then turned the aids off and then back on, and that seemed to fix the issue. I don’t think it was a bluetooth issue, but something with the aids themselves. Something I will keep an eye on.

I don’t have a complaint with the streaming quality. I use the music program with bass boost and streaming focus. It certainly is not in the same class as my home theater system, but I find it enjoyable. The sound is clean and the lyrics are exceptionally clear. Actually it is better than I expected from such tiny speakers.

Anyway, just my experience so far.

1 Like

I know that the jabras say they are designed for iphone (mfi) so I might wonder if android is just not as good with them?

I tried the Jabras streaming music from my Android phone (Pixel 4a) and from an iPad Pro and, in terms of sound quality, they seemed pretty much the same. I couldn’t speak to connection stability differences with iOS and Android devices. Sound quality is pretty subjective. In terms of connection stability, reports are all over the map across device manufacturers, iOS vs Android, and even between two users of the same device with what seem to very similar phones. Hard to make sense of.

2 Likes

I’ve had the Jabra’s for just over a week. They are my 3rd pair of Resound HAs. I hate the sound of them when streaming. I can’t figure out why there wouldn’t be an entirely separate program just for streaming. After all, that is the only time 100% of the sound is coming from the device. I’m gonna want a different EQ in that situation.

Anyhow, do any of the other brands offer that - the ability to run a totally different program that is unique to whenever the HAs are streaming from my phone?

Hey try this post,I think you’ll find a bit more information about this, it’s a ReSound post but it’ll apply to your Jabra HAs, The Jabra App is pretty much the same as ReSounds App

1 Like

I trialed the Jabras, and I now have the KS10s (Phonak Paradise). The KS10s automatically switch to a separate streaming program. There are two shown in Target for Bluetooth streaming - “Streamed speech + mic” and “Streamed music + mic”. In Target, the gain profiles for each can be adjusted. (I assume the “Automatic” program is deciding if what’s streaming is speech or music). In the EasyLine app on my Pixel 5a (Android), the aids automatically switch the program to “Bluetooth streaming + mic 2”. That program has a cross-fader that lets you choose how the KS10s mix hearing aid microphone input with Bluetooth input. !00% hearing aid mic to 100% Bluetooth audio.

1 Like

One of my m&ries had a white plug in the hole below the wire and the other did not. I touched the plug and it came out easily, does anyone know if these are supposed to be worn or if they are removed at fitting time? I will ping my fitter tomorrow, but I don’t have spares and there is nothing I can find in the documentation.

As an update, my fitter sent a new program today that uses the in ear mic for focus and I believe that I am getting feedback. It’s hard to explain the sound but essentially some sounds and voices have a distorted noise with them like a loud pshhh as if you rub your finger on the outside mics. It only happens on my left (worse) ear which has much stronger programming. It stops if I turn down the volume (obviously).

Is this what classifies as feedback in this situation? I know feedback from PA systems, guitars, etc. This is more of a possible amplification loop (but it does not repeat).

Those white plugs are mic filters. They are replaceable, similar to a wax guard.

They come on a stick with the filter on one end, and a two pronged “fork” on the other. You slide the fork under the old filter to lift it off. Then stick the new filter in the hole and twist the stick to detach it from the filter.

I watched a video of the process on the ReSound One website.

I know my Costco knows about them and has ordered them, but I haven’t been back to pick any up yet.

https://pro.resound.com/en/products/support-materials/one-support

The noise you are describing is similar to the noise I’d get, also in my worse left ear. It’s not the traditional feedback noise, but an issue nonetheless. Once we found the right combination of receiver wire length and dome type and size, and reran feedback calibration, the noise went away.

1 Like

Also, regarding the feedback, the resound smart fit program (the HIS one not the ios app) has a calibrate that can look for feedback and make adjustments. It’s quick and works very well.

I have the same thing with my Right aid but not left one… We did a new impression and I’m waiting for the new ear mold to come in. Ask about getting a new mold.