GN Hearing launches ReSound OMNIA

just sent this info. to my audi and told him to get me a set to try out

1 Like

I walked through this in my head in another thread. I think you will start to see them a year from now. Just a guess.

WH

The spec sheet for various Omnia configurations, straight from ReSound. No description of BT anywhere in the spec sheet (telecoil is mentioned) but spec sheet says that the HA’s use 2.4 GHz and 333 kHz frequencies.

13512_135114003 (webdamdb.com)

The spec sheet link came from the bottom of the following ReSound Pro site:

Hearing aids ReSound - ReSound OMNIA - Hearing Aids

The full ReSound Support Materials are available at the following link, including the user guides and spec data sheets (no mention of BT LE Audio):

Hearing aids ReSound - ReSound OMNIA support

BTW, as a ReSound user, naturally a new line of ReSound aids intrigues me but I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop with Phonak before rushing out to buy anything!

Nice find! I didn’t scroll down far enough. The 2.4 GHz and 333 kHz frequencies are for communication between hearing aids and charger. (I wonder what they talk about? :wink: )

Not impressed. Sounds like every other new hearing aid release. Promises, promises. If GN can’t even tackle ASHA, I have zero confidence in anything they claim.

2 Likes

The white paper details on how the Omnia “Front Focus” supposedly provides 150% better hearing of speech in 70 dB noise as compared to the ReSound One “Ultrafocus” mode are found at the following link:

13512_136155017 (webdamdb.com)

This link is also available under the ReSound Support Materials for the Omnia by clicking on the + sign next to White Papers. It’s the middle one of the white papers at the following ReSound support page:

Hearing aids ReSound - ReSound OMNIA support

P.S. I think ASHA problems belong in Google’s camp (or Android phone OEMs), not in ReSound’s. At least according to ReSound,

See the following ReSound Tech Tip:

Letter (webdamdb.com)

which can be found on the following ReSound Android compatibility page at the bottom:

Compatibility | ReSound US

Maybe Google will have better luck with Android 13, which has just come out.

Oops! Links and FCC ID corrected now:

Here is the FCC Test Report on the ReSound Omnia.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=i%2Fad6tp%2BGM3IOVxDohL%2FOQ%3D%3D&fcc_id=X26CARR1

Although internal and external pictures of the device have apparently been struck from the report based on confidentiality, one can tell that this is the FCC review of the Omnia by the assigned FCC ID: X26CARR1, for the rechargeable device.

On page 66 of the rechargeable Omnia User Guide down at the bottom under TYPE DESIGNATIONS, it says the following:

(see previous post by me in this thread for link to ReSound’s Omnia support materials)

The discouraging thing is that in the various test reports on the FCC page, the Bluetooth version described is always BT 5.0. ???

In the FCC report in the link of my post just above, it says that the 333 kHz frequency is used for wireless (inductive) charging.

BT 5.0 doesn’t make a lot of sense since Resound One is BT 5.2. Omnia doesn’t show up yet on Bluetooth.com

1 Like

Interesting when one uses the Search tool, ReSound One shows up as BT 5.2 as you say, Oticon More as BT 5.1, and Sonova’s Phonak Audeo only shows up as BT 4.2. But there are a bunch of Sonova Sennheiser products released August 2022 that have BT 5.2, so here’s hoping for any upcoming Phonak HA’s.

Launch Studio - Listing Search (bluetooth.com)

1 Like

Does anyone know if the Resound Omnia is replacing Resound One as their top/premium hearing aid?

Jordan

Because of the claim that “Front Focus” in the Omnia is superior to “Ultrafocus” for the ReSound One and the repeated reference to the ReSound One as “legacy technology,” I would say that the Omnia is now ReSound’s premier HA.

1 Like

I would say that when a new “platform” comes out, it becomes king for that line of HAs. The implementation of a new chip/chipset is not trivial.

WH

“Ultrafocus” never impressed me so being 150% better isn’t saying much in my experience. The Resound MiniMic works very well in noise. If they can approach that level of comprehension in noise, in a hearing aid, I will eat my words.

1 Like

What is the basis they calculate 150% improvement from?
Their current top of the line?

1 Like

I don’t think it really matters, as it’s all marketing hype anyway, every time these manufacturers release a new platform it hardly ever lives up to the blurb.

4 Likes

Dr Cliff’s Review : https://youtu.be/eBcN_S1I1bI

1 Like

thx for Dr Cliffs review… after watching, it sounds like to get the full benefit of these HA’s that the M&RIE receiver wires must be used??

Seemed like for M&RIE, he was only addressing directionality, being better able to tell where a sound is coming from via the pinna effect. In the part that he said “Front Focus” was a big benefit compared to previous ReSound technology, it wasn’t clear whether M&RIE had any involvement with that. And since Dr. Cliff mentioned that directional vs. omnidirectional hearing differentiated differently at low, mid, and high frequencies was an integral part of differentiating what was noise, I don’t think M&RIE is specifically needed for that processing. Also, nowhere in ReSound’s claims of improved speech recognition is there an asterisk * noting that M&RIE is required for their claim to hold.

I’d put more weight on any review that he does after he actually has more hands-on experience with the Omnia and after he’s had a chance for the same experience with the new Phonak.

I can tell you from experience with the Jabra aids that the M&RIE receiver is turned off when the Ultrafocus program is active.

I wasn’t impressed with Ultrafocus, and I’m not too interested in this new aid as a result.

3 Likes