GN Hearing introduces ReSound ONE

I had the audiologist change the wind cancellation setting to moderate and that has improved my outdoor experience with these.

If you bought a Resound MultiMic and a Roger X receiver, Roger equipment would work ok with your Resounds. With Phonak Paradise (or Marvel) you could skip the intermediate device (MultiMic)

2 Likes

True. But with skipping intermediary device comes lower latency in pure phonak version.

I think I’ve read somewhere on the forum that someone tried such solution and wasn’t happy. Like lag was noticeable.

@athorod

Quality, from top:
Paradise/marvel built in receiver
Any solution using x receivers plugged into dai shoe directly (no matter the manufacturer of aid, if aid has that shoe, many ric don’t)

Those two should have same or very similar sound quality, with new phonaks supposedly having better distance

Then come any solution through intermediary non tcoil device, like resound multimic where you plug in roger x, with possible issues of latency

Then intermediary with tcoil, like roger mylink, or other solutions where you plug roger x into something which makes a loop

No clue about how tcoils really sound, information is gathered through reading others’ experiences.

After I’ve realised that I really need and want roger select, I was thinking about testing some others, but significantly bigger price for getting them to play nice with select, plus fact that I’d have to buy a new android phone, plus some differences in programming approach, just made me not even try others. I just can’t imagine my life without select anymore. I don’t think that’s wise decision though :joy:
But in my case, I can’t get more than 70-80% comprehension with aids (no matter which ones, my nerve is damaged it seems), and in speech babble aids are useless without select, and with select is stil hard if people are really loud.

Test HAs alone in heavy situations, then you’ll see. If aids cover even classroom, maybe multimic alone will be enogh for specially heavy situations.

Also, starkey has table mic of same sort as is roger select. Significantly cheaper. Might be worth looking into if you realise you need mics.

But, focus first on what aids can give you.

1 Like

Thank you for a comprehensive answer.

Neither the ReSound Ones, nor the Paradise, seems to cover the classroom situation fully. In some situations I need more. I tried the multimic with the Ones, which was better, but I still want a bit “more”.

I am currently trying the Paradise, and I’ve borrowed a Roger Pen and Table Mic (I wasn’t allowed to borrow a Select). I got the Paradise on Friday and have only played around with Pen and Table Mic in the classroom yesterday, so I’ll test all of it some more before deciding.

Is the Select mic much better than the Table Mic II?

I tried the Resound app, of course without a hearing aid just as a demo version to see what all the options it has in it. I have noticed that the app is much better than any other that exists.
You can adjust the sound separately, for example from the microphone, the sound coming from the TV intermediate device, etc.
The microphone doesn’t necessarily have to be worse, just that at least there are more options around adjusting the sound coming from the microphone and that Resound has a much better solution.
It offers an option
equalizer, trebble boost and bass bost for microphone.

I think the intelligibility can be improved if the sound in the equalizer is adjusted to suit the listener.

Table mics can create network of them, all in table mode, if you need more than one to cover the area.

Selects cannot do that, if they network, only one stays in table mode, others go to lapel mic mode, so point upwards.

@RogerPM said that they have same tech, and I have impression that they do have other differences as well.

Select is advertised for restaurants while table mic for professional meetings.

With select you have beam forming feature, and you also can say which direction it should focus on as sound source while table mics only can get everything, expecting non competing speakers situation.

Table mic 2 has option to get people closer to the mic or further away, so in some sense they handle background noise in that way.

Select’s beam forming doesn’t mean you will hear only that direction but others will be a bit lower. A bit. That’s the keyword.
If you have bunch of people competing while talking, eg kids in classroom while doing some activity, I’m not sure if any would help. Because you will still hear everything.

Maybe pen will be the best, but for it, don’t expect it’ll catch just one person out of the bunch speaking if you’re too far away with pen. Pen on table mode is poor compared to those two above, so, I’m talking only about interview mode.

I’m not sure if any can work in classroom where everyone speaks at the same time and is busy. So, it highly depends how your classroom looks like. Eg how close you need to come to be sure you’re capturing the person you want.

For quiet, I’d probably use table mics if someone else is paying, since they can be all around.
Select is one table only. But it’s cheaper device, at least here (still insanely expensive though).

I didn’t test table mics, so my conclusion is from the papers. Pen and select I have, pen I’m still trying to find a use case. I bought regular pen on ebay and select iN new from my dispenser (to get the receivers, you need them just once). Pen in I couldn’t test since ‘Germany is to small market and pen iN isn’t available’ :rofl:

To get some perspective, what’s your wrs in quiet? Any measurements done for noise, like quicksin?

First number sets some expectations from aids, another tells how desperately you need mics and if they can help or not.

Aids give 3-5db boost for speech in noise, mics supposedly give up to 10, but if you need more than that, no device can really help you the way you’d like. However still, they’ll make your brain’s job somewhat easier, but it’s still gonna be hard work.

Also, both aren’t that great when noise is other voices, that’s the hardest situation any hearing device is in.

What I’m saying is, it is possible that you’ve reached tech plateau, and more ooomph just isn’t available. In that case, point would be with which of those available, your brain can work better with eg where are you maybe a bit less tired, or some other criteria you notice as important to you.

1 Like

Yes, I like the ReSound app. I’ve only also tried the Phonak app, but I prefer the ReSound, no doubt about it. One example is as you say with the multimic, you can choose sound levels from mic and HAs individually, instead of the Phonak where you can only balance between them. If I have a mic at the back of the classroom I want to get good sound from both the mic at the back of the room when those students speak, and from the HAs when the students in front of the class speak…

2 Likes

Thank you again for a very comprehensive answer.

Some of it is a bit techichal for me though, as I’m a newbie, both to hearing loss and to HAs.

These are the test scores I have. image
I suppose the top one is an audiogram(?) and the bottom one was some kind of word recognition test (not sure if it’s wrs though…). I do understand the top one, but I don’t really understand the bottom one…

In the classroom, it isn’t always a problem to pick out just the one I want to hear. It’s also that if someone in the back of the class is talking, and has a “small voice”, it’s difficult to hear, just because of the distance, and difficult with ReSound One and Paradise, without an addiotional mic. The MultiMic from ReSound did help, but I think the Table Mic II picks up generally more sound.

The cost of these things isn’t really an issue as the national healthcare will provide the help I need. I guess that’s a perk of living in Norway. So I will get a new HA every 6 years, and I will also get the tech needed to keep working. I’ve been told that if I need 2xTableMicII and a Roger Pen, either with ReSound One or Paradise that will not be a problem. If that doesn’t help they will instead provide several handheld mics for the students to use in the classroom. But I want to keep it as simple as I can for now…

But as you say, first I have to decide on which HA to go for…

1 Like

Yes, first two is tonal audiogram and you have sloping hearing loss.

Second two is wrs, word recognition score, it basically says how loud words have to be (bottom numbers, x axis) in order to get x percent of words correctly (y axis).
You can get to 100% accuracy with 50/55db, which is awesome!
This means that all aids are able to be set up to give you same accuracy, if fitted correctly.
In quiet.

Real life is different and it heavily depends on your brain processing abilities. But at least you have good base - you know that if you get enough amplification, you’ll be able to comprehend.

Soft spoken people on distance are hard for normal hearing people, but we with damage, it gets much harder because our brain has to work much more and still has the same amount of time available as normal hearing person. Any noise or unwanted speech makes it harder when we have damaged hearing.

If you haven’t already, I suggest getting some basics through these two sources

best practices summarised by dr cliff

And they have article about listening in noise, also recommended to read.

Both sources have youtube channel if you like that media instead.

And in awesome country you live in! Yes, table mics are supposed to catch more. I think if your classroom isn’t yelling chaos, but calm environment, array of table mics and pen should work perfectly.
Depends on your classroom size how many table mics you need, but maybe it could be enough to put them near soft spoken students / in the back. Test and you’ll see.

I’m not sure, but I think resound’s multimics cannot create network of them… For some reason I think I’ve remembered that so far only roger supports networking of mics.

So if you need more than one mic, definitely check who supports what exactly.

1 Like

@efigalaxie is pretty reticent recently but he’s certainly tried many HA’s and been an HA user for over ~44 years. Here’s how he rated the Marvels, the Quattros and the Opn’s back around March 6. I wondered if he’s trialed or thinking of trialing the Paradise or the ReSound One? His comment doesn’t specifically address multiple remote microphone use but he’s used an FM receiver on the ReSound Multi Mic and owns multiple Roger devices and I think is highly knowledgeable about electrical IT stuff - so given his experience, he might be able to offer some excellent advice. He used to work in a very noisy steel mill and needed remote communication to be able to hear things.

3 Likes

Thanks again for your great input, and for the information you’ve provided!

It was very interesting reading about his comparison of the devices. I hope you will give us an update if he’s able to compare them to the ReSound One with the new mics.

I have tested the Quattro for a week (discareded those, I found them clearly inferior to the One), the One for a month and now Paradise for a few days. I have to try the Paradise for a bit longer before I decide between them and the Ones.

My thoughts so far:
Phonak Paradise: A lot more natural sounding than the Ones, possibly due to the open domes. My own voice feel natural and other sound also feels more natural, and amplified.
ReSound One: I’ve tried with closed domes and the M&RIE. My own voice is unnaturally amplified possibly due to the closed dome and the mic inside the ear canal. Other sounds also feels less natural than with the Paradise. But when it comes to clarity of speech, I feel the Ones are better, but at the cost of a more unnatural sound.

So do I go for the Paradise with the more natural, comfortable sound? Or do I go for the Ones where I pick up speech (including my own) and other sounds (including unwanted sounds) better, but it’s more obvious that I get the sound through HAs (at least for the first couple of weeks)?

I can also add these thoughts:
Paradise: Open domes are more comfortable. Much more compatible with “normal” bluetooth. Fun that they are more “tech-friendly” as you can talk to google assistant/siri etc. but it’s too sensitive as I suddenly hear google assistant just by accidentally touching my ear. I also had to turn off the “double-tap to hang up phone call” for that same reason.
One: Better buttons on the HAs. Better app. Better battery-life.

If I had less natural hearing/more severe hear loss, I would have gone with ReSound One, no doubt. But after a month with those, it was very nice to have improved my natural hearing instead of a better artificial hearing.

Will wear the Paradise for at least another week, then spend a couple of weeks alternating between them to compare before deciding.

I haven’t read all the above… but have anyone else tried both Paradise and One and shared a comparison, or have seen such a comparison somewhere else?

I just wanted to add that I these will be my first HAs and I’ve only had a hearing loss for about half a year. So since I’m quite new to all this, I find it a bit overwhelming and don’t really know what to expect, neither the whole living with reduced hearing nor what to expect from hearing aids. So I’m glad you’re all so helpful.

2 Likes

Threads on “My Own Voice” :

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/own-voice-with-hearing-aid/45650?u=jim_lewis

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/would-you-go-for-it/45653?u=jim_lewis

I think if you let something bother you, it will. Otherwise, within a short time you quickly adapt to it, like which back pocket you might put your wallet in or whether you wear glasses and are comfortable wearing them. I wear ~almost totally occlusive custom molds. When I put my HA’s in or take them out, I’m aware of the change but after a few minutes, my brain has adapted to either situation. On the other extreme, before I had cataract surgery, I was so near-sighted that the world was “unviewable” without my glasses. So there are some things that you can adapt to, if you give yourself time, and other things are so extreme, it might be impossible. So I guess one has to decide whether whatever is something one will acclimate to or not. You have to go with what works best for you. Perhaps with more occlusive molds, you might be more likely to develop an ear infection because of increased moisture in your ear canal. Maybe a provider on the forum or your own audiologist could comment - or there’s info to be found from a search of the Internet?

2 Likes

I’m die hard phonak /roger fan, but. That sound isn’t natural, the one I get. It’s always distorted / has a vibration for every sound when I stream. In both ears. And I have one normal ear where I wear aids for symmetry, especially for streaming.
Also from mic.

With regular headphones i don’t get distortion on good ear, but do on bad ear.

However, I get comprehension with it,despite the distortion and non natural sounds.

Roger and android and other bt streaming are my limiting factors why I’m paying premium for distorted sound - I get the comprehension. To the point that I didn’t test others bc of roger mics convenience.

And my brain is happy like a pig in the mud, I get same type, both ears, and I don’t have to look at person talking and no ear is messing the comprehension.

But that sound isn’t natural. So if you say it’s more natural than resound, then I definitely haven’t missed much by not testing them :joy:

Point - brain will adapt and work with whatever you throw at it, and any aid from those is miles away in quality and comprehension than no aid.

I picked my first one bc of was red. And could be the least bad out of the bunch. Phonak was so bad that I pulled it out immediately back then.
Now I have black phonak. Would go with red, but they don’t have it for adults, and kids’ aids have sw limitations.

Red ones made me happy to wear them juat bc of color, I couldn’t understand people when they were on my bad side.
This black ones make me happy with streaming and mics, and I can listen people on both sides now. So I’ll forgive them for not being red, they still bring joy.

Find your joy and the model won’t matter.

3 Likes

I’m finally wearing and trying out the Resound Ones… the HA’s were in but had to wait almost 2 weeks for new soft molds… I have worn the Resound Quattro for over 2 yrs and was very happy with them… I’ve had these for just 5 days and so far with just 1 minor adjustment by me on the Resound app. I really like them and believe they have improved my hearing…
I have 5 prog.s all-around… restaurant… ultra focus… outdoors. and TV streaming… I have already picked the outdoor program as my favorite program, it seems clearer and sharper when listening to conversations both indoors and outdoors… all I’ve done is add a little more bass by using the app. and it’s perfect … when I see my audi I will have him do a permanent fix… I’ve tried the ultra focus prog twice and it seems to be a glorified Restaurant prog. which narrows the width of hearing… it worked well …
I have my wind resistance maxed out on my all-around and outdoor prog,s because I live in florida and 9 mos. out of the year it’s pretty windy… I was golfing and had 20mph winds the other day and only a couple times did I hear a crackle… with the pandemic I won’t be able to see what it’s like in crowded restaurants which is always tough … I have been in Walmart and that was pretty crowded and I was able to hear and actually pick out who was talking even with there masks on … also I have the rechargeable version and battery life is great … I wear my HA’s an avg. of 15/16 hrs a day and I streamed TV on Saturday, football and golf for about 10hrs and still had 40% battery life which was equal to the quattros… so far I’m very happy with them

4 Likes

Well, I certainly wouldn’t mind trying the Ones. Might even be interested in trying the Starkey Livio AI.

My work has changed. Unfortunately, the Resound Quattro, so perfect for the steel mill. Isn’t working in plastic extrusion. Coupled with the masks due to the pandemic, my favorite words are huh, what, can you repeat that, and so forth.

The noise is right on the speech frequency range and right in the worst part of my loss.

1 Like

Tuff situation. Good luck with that.

1 Like

Resound One took a firmware update Feb 6th to 4.27.1.0 cant find data to see what was added. Just a heads up

3 Likes

I was fitted for the Resound one 971 with m7rie, with the closed domes, very echoey, with open domes , sounds very open.