GN Hearing introduces ReSound LiNX Quattro

resound

i’ve worn HA’s for about 7 yrs 3 different brands including my new quattros … cosmetics was a big problem for me also … I have always had the same problem with tips sliding out and rec. wires sticking / buckling out beyond my ears… I live in florida and am very active so I always thought because I was sweating that helped with them sliding out… I tried every style tip and size imaginable nothing worked… with out exaggeration I was pushing the tips in very 10 to 15 min… frustrating… I then had molds made last year and no more sliding out… I put them in early morning and never touch them again all day… the rec.wire was still a problem sticking out but not as far… so that is why I tried curling the receiver wire that I showed above… the wire now stays close and inside my ear … I didn’t use anything to heat it I just slowly made the curl and after a few times of curling it stayed… I have had no problem with the receiver breaking either… as far as the molds I did have the vent enlarged because of a little occlusion

I have the same Quattro 9 61’s, and they connect instantly 100% of the time to phone calls or streamed audio content from my iPhone, and the quality is excellent.

Loving my Quattro 7s. 9s were 800.00 more. First time in many years I can hear everyone in meetings. Got them on Wednesday

Ive had my Quattro 9s for almost a month. I just had the Audi up the volume by 15% because I still struggle hearing speech in all situations. I hope that will help.

I’m not impressed with the streaming. My last HA were Phonak V90 with Compilot air.

The sound that streams from my iPhone 6plus sounds canned and not full. I tried closed domes. I tried boosting the middle and base sounds up from the app. It reminds me of the sound that comes out to a cell phone or Ipad speaker.

Still, I used them, hoping my brain would adjust. I seem to get interference during the streaming as well. Sometimes, it creates an annoying sound. Sometimes it just drops completely. That’s just sitting there doing basically nothing in my recliner, and no big appliance doing anything nearby. I also notice distortion with streaming music.

Yesterday I put my Phonak V90&Compilot air on again and immediately thought ahhhhh. Such rich, full sound.

I think I will be returning them. The Audi said maybe I just prefer Phonak sound quality.

Not sure if I wanna try the Phonak direct Bluetooth or Marvel technology. My amazing insurance cover 100% so I will probably try it after Marvel is released and reviewed.

Oh my Audi also did a program change called base boost in the Quattro streaming program. Still not the clear full sound, and it seemed to up the distortion.

Also, the Quattro don’t stream directly to my I watch like the Compilot does. I really love that feature cause I can leave my phone back and listen through the watch. With my Quattro, I suspect my watch BT is interfering with my streaming so I turn it to airplane mode, but I still get issues even when I do that.

Oh and my fit issue was fixed with Phonak closed domes size small. Tried the tulips but they didn’t fit into my ear, my canal is too small

I am having difficulty streaming with my Quattros. I have an Iphone 6 (and a series 3 Apple Watch). Forget the watch for the moment. After I stream music or the radio through my HAs (but usually not for a phone call), usually the left hearing aid (sometimes the right) is dropped by the app. Closing and opening the app doesn’t restore the full connection. When I turn off the phone and turn it on again, the connection to both is restored. As for my Apple Watch–I’d like to use the App to control the programs because I think people observing will be less likely to misinterpret what I’m doing as rude. Out of 20 tries, with nothing different that I can figure out, the apple watch connects 2 times. Otherwise I get a message that says “there is a problem connecting.” Yeah, no kidding.

My Iphone 6 doesn’t support Bluetooth 5. I have been trying to read up on what 5 is better at than 4. It includes handling multiple devices. I’m wondering if the TWO hearing aids, and then the watch, is too much for Bluetooth 4.

I am not keen on buying a new Iphone just for the heck of it. But an Iphone 8 supports Bluetooth 5 and I’m considering it.

I am: (1) no experts on HAs, and (2) no expert on computer stuff generally. I talked with an Apple rep who seemed to sincerely be researching the issue and he thought it was likely that access to Bluetooth 5 would improve functionality for me. He wasn’t sure though.

I’d welcome any thoughts you have on the issue.

Is there a nearby Apple Store where you could try a new phone?

Bluetooth 5 shouldn’t matter. To best of my knowledge, Quattros do not support it. I think the suggestion to go to an Apple Store is a good one, but I’d ask for help in making what you’ve got currently work

2.5 hours away is the closest.

Wow, [MDB]. I thought I read they support Bluetooth 5…searching now.

What version of iOS are you using Noreen1009? I’m asking as versions 12.0 and 12.1 are much better in terms of Bluetooth connectivity than 11.4.1. An advantage of moving to 12 on an older phone like the iPhone 6 is that the OS has been optimized to run better and faster on older devices (which is not always the case with newer operating systems).

If you haven’t yet upgraded your iPhone to 12.1, I would suggest you consider as one option to addressing your issue. I was a beta tester and found it worked (even in Beta) much better than 11.4.1 with my ReSound Linx2 962’s.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I am current on the operating system, 12.0.1.

Ok, I just got a very helpful ReSound rep. MDB is correct. The Bluetooth ReSound uses isn’t 5. It’s a “proprietary, low frequency, low power” thingamajig. He said a new Iphone won’t help me. He said some Iphones are working well and some are not and it doesn’t matter what model. Here’s what he had me do:

1. He had my phone forget my hearing aids (through the MFI menu).
  2. He had me reset my network settings on the phone.
  3. He had me open the Smart 3d App and TURN OFF “optimize MFI connection” (which my audiologist had turned on).
  4. He had me go through the protocol of re-pairing my hearing aids to my Iphone.
  5. He reminded me that for my Apple Watch to control my hearing aids through the Smart 3d App, i have to have the app open on my phone.
  6. I went back into my wifi menu on my phone and entered our network password.

He seems to think that this will solve the problem of the App losing an ear after streaming. My Apple Watch is already working properly to control the hearing aids. Wow…hopefully this solves the problems. I’m off to stream…

Noreen I had that problem with the left not syncing. When I’d go to the app, the right would be green, and the rleft would have the red x. My Audi repaired them both, and that helped. Have you done that?

I wonder also if the iwatch is causing problems with streaming.

Oops I see you did all of that. I did all of those other steps with my Audi too, but am too lazy to remember haha

I have had my Quattros two weeks. I love them. That being said, there are a few issues.

1. The Apple Watch will often only connect when the phone app is open and up. As soon as the phone app is exited or the phone display cuts off, the ‘Problem with connection’ message shows. As if to spite me, right this very second, the watch app is working perfectly without the phone app being up. I am going to do more investigation.

2. Streaming… most times, streaming is excellent and sounds very very good. Occasionally, it gets finicky and will drop one or the other side. Sometimes it re-establishes the connection quickly and easily, other times it doesn’t.

What I like,

1- tonal balance - excellent

2-streaming…much more detailed and fuller than the Linx3D.

3-recharging case and battery life are as advertised. I have no issue getting through the day and streaming 12 hours. (At work, I have a Motorola xpr7550 two way. I use the phone clip+ to connect to it. I hear the sound through my aids and my voice goes to the radio through the phone clip. To get through my shift, I usually have to switch to the second phone clip. I have two for this purpose. I also use the remote at work as well. It is much easier to use with gloves on than the phone. It is a steel mill so I need to mute my mics quickly. )

4-speech discrimination…better than anything I have tried. Until now, the OPN platform was best in MY experience.

5-the accessory line is simply the most complete, most thought out, and most reliable.

Phonak is receiving much attention for the Audeo Marvel. While it can connect via standard Bluetooth, it pays a heavy price in battery life. This would not work for my needs. Besides…I have a Roger X.03 receiver that plugs into my multi-mic… I can use the entire Roger line.

For me, the whole system is simply the all around best and most versatile around.

My setup:
2 Quattro 961 with embedded mp receivers in custom shells.
1 multi-mic
2 phone clip+ (1 off eBay)
2 remotes. (Both off eBay)
1 TV Streamer. (eBay)
1 Roger X.03 receiver to plug into the bottom of the multi-mic (eBay)
1 Roger Pen 1.1 (eBay)
1 NOAHlink wireless programmer (eBay)

2015 MacBook Pro 15 running windows 10 pro with Resounds fitting software.
IphoneX

Hey @Volusiano; Since you have very excellent knowledge about Oticon Opn’s, I am curious to know if you might be enticed by these new ReSound offerings?

More specifically, are the ReSound Forte reviews (Review: ReSound Forte FT861-DRW (Costco) vs. Oticon OPN1), and especially this newer Resound Quattro technology beginning to erode your confidence with the Oticon Opn paradigm?

Perhaps you cannot say without trialing the new ReSound technology? I was just curious.

in my opinion resound jsut restored impulse noise reduction which is not present in linx 3d
second earlier 6k range avaliable but if requency lowering enabled it might shift to 8k and below this happen in nx too. for more frequency range you should have good high freqency hearing. eventhough echo stop is still missing.
and of course android capability advertised is just one new thing but now after marvel its absolete feature.

You’re right, I cannot say without trialing those Resound HAs myself before I can offer any opinion.

I have been following that thread on the Resound Forte vs the OPN 1, and also the threads about the Quattro. In the first thread on the Forte, I believe the OP demo’ed the OPN 1 only for a couple of weeks before moving on to the Forte. He said that he could hear his wife better at home with the Forte than the OPN 1 in a more quiet environment. That’s really the only direct comparison as far as I can tell. He said that the improvement from the OPN was remarkable but not perfect, but the Forte’s result was better.

I don’t think he had a chance to test the OPN 1 in a super noisy restaurant, although he said the OPN 1 performed well at a noisy Costco, although the Forte seems to perform just as well.

The rest of the comments and review was more focused on the Forte going forward because by then he’d already returned the OPN 1 after only 2 weeks of the trial. So I don’t think it’s really a full blown and thorough comparison between the Forte and the OPN 1 side by side with A/B comparison, although the title might have given that impression. Because of this, I don’t think anything conclusive can be drawn with finality anyway.

And even if the comparison had been more thorough equally on both, he’s fully entitled to like the Forte better because as we all know, HA results are so subjective depending on individuals anyway. Who knows, maybe if I try out the Forte or the Quattro, I may end up liking them more than the OPN. Or maybe I won’t because I’m more used to the open paradigm and I really don’t like to have to fiddle with controlling anything in any environment. It may be that I’m more used to the openess of the OPN paradigm while the other folks are more used to the way their HA works.

While I advocate for the OPN because I like it, I don’t advocate against any other HAs currently on the market because they can work just as effectively to other people like the OPN has been effective for me. But the previous generation of HAs that I’ve worn myself with the beam forming directionality has been lacking in my personal opinion because I’ve been wearing HAs for almost 30 years, and I advocate for the open paradigm and the OPN noise reduction because it tries something different to solve that problem. Now if the Forte and the Quattro and the Marvel and the other ones that use AI to try to solve the problem in their own ways more effectively, the better it is and for sure I don’t advocate the OPN over any of them.

If I had a chance to trial the Quattro or the Forte, I wouldn’t mind trying them out at all and give my honest opinion of them, like I did with the Sonic Enchant 100 and the OPN 3. I definitely agree with the OP that wrote that Forte vs OPN 1 thread that the $2700 for the Forte definitely beats the OPN 1 in terms of value, if he likes the Forte not only just as much but in his case even more than the OPN 1.

But back to your question about whether that review or the positive reviews of the Quattro erodes my confidence with the OPN paradigm, the answer is not really. There are many ways to solve the issue of speech in noise, and if other HAs manage to address this issue effectively like I think the OPN does for me, then it’s all good for the consumer. While HA mfgs may see this as a battle because they’re business competitors, it’s not really a battle between us consumers to see whose choice of HA is better than whom. We don’t really need to defend our choice of HAs, but we should share what we like about our choice of HAs so that others can learn about it and the more anecdotal testimonies are on this forum, the more informed we can be so that we can all benefit from it.

I’ll just add on here that Resound Quattro may not be a good choice for people with a steep skislope loss that reaches severe to profound levels and they want some audibility in the higher frequencies. Resounds frequency lowering scheme is pretty basic.

Maybe it would help to provide an example of what you consider “steep ski-slope.” According to the “tooltip” tool that pops up over the mouse cursor as one skims over the site audiogram colorations, I have moderate-to-severe loss at my highest frequencies yet my audi did not think that merited kicking in frequency lowering for my Quattro 9 61’s. So theoretically I am enjoying audibility in higher frequencies (I can hear my cat walking through grass and leaves with the treble cranked up all the way in the ReSound Smart 3D app-and crickets come through great, too!).

Also, isn’t it true that frequency lowering doesn’t have to be turned on for all programs? Can’t you have a program like MUSIC that is free of frequency lowering? For each of the four basic programs (All-Around, Restaurant, Outdoors, Music), I have some control over the relative amount of bass, middle, and treble that I hear, too.

There are also separate sliders for wind and noise reduction in each of the four basic Smart 3D programs. Too bad the app doesn’t show you the actual relative effect on true frequency response/amplification for any of the sliders. Perhaps it would just confuse the average user but it would be nice to see what happens to “signal” vs. “noise” at different frequencies when one plays around with some of these sliders.

Since I haven’t trialed other brands/models, I may not appreciate what I’m missing but I think the important thing for any brand/model of hearing aid is not just one thing but the weighted average of everything that’s important to you. So on some particular features a particular brand/model may come up short relative to some other HA but if you’re not using that feature or it’s relatively unimportant compared to other “must-have” features, that feature won’t matter much in the end.

You have one audiogram point that reaches 70db which is the threshhold for severe. I was trying to imply worse than that–well into severe range and profound. For examples of what I’m talking about, look at my audiogram and Volusiano’s. I don’t get audibility above 4khz with amplification. I’m guessing Volusiano’s is closer to 2khz.

I also said it “may not be a good choice,” not that it isn’t. Also if they wanted audibility in the higher frequencies (like hearing certain bird songs) I think the Quattro’s are great aids. I wasn’t trying to knock them. I was just trying to provide info. Frequency lowering can be activated in pretty much any program you want (or not) Some people hate it. For people like me and Volusiano, it is the only way we’re going to hear the higher frequencies. As stated, Resound’s frequency lowering is pretty basic. It pretty much has a low, medium and high setting. Volusiano’s Oticon’s have 10 different settings. My KS7s let me do quite a bit of customization to it’s frequency lowering parameters.