GN Hearing introduces ReSound LiNX Quattro

resound

@davart made this observation in another thread: “You’re also buying a device that definitely has a finite life. Although I appreciate that all devices will break, HAs with empty battery compartments can be kept as backup, whereas rechargeable batteries will degrade over time.”

@davart @x475aws - Presumably if loosely wrapped in a plastic bag, rechargeable HA’s could be stored at ~50% charge in a refrigerator door compartment. I have expensive Nikon DLSR Li-ion camera batteries that have been kept that way for most of their twelve years of life and are rated ~ like-new by the camera software. Cell phone cameras are so good, I normally use my phone and haul out my prosumer Nikon camera or Sony camcorder mainly for special occasions or trips. I let any battery so stored warm up for at least an hour in the bag at room temperature to avoid moisture condensation. Apple has very good info on battery care for their devices. They recommend 50% charge for long-term storage of a device (but they don’t make any recommendation on frig storage!). Unused batteries may lose a few % of their charge a month so you need to check any stored battery periodically. Below about 20% charge a Li-ion battery can become very acid and have its lifespan degraded and at too low a charge fail to be rechargeable at all.

My Scheme for Doubling the Lifespan of ReSound Quattro Li-ion Batteries

Three of the main advantages of a rechargeable solution:

1. You don’t have to fumble with small batteries trying to get them out and into your HA’s

2. You don’t have to remember to reorder, make trips to the store, or whatever to get them or deal with the bad disposable that just unexpectedly conks out on you.

3. If you’re concerned about generating large quantities of environmental waste on a finite planet, you avoid, admittedly in an almost inconsequential way, the environmental costs of a lot of stuff you just make, use, and throw away

Rechargeable HA’s may be WAY ahead of their time. The next big thing in batteries, like nuclear fusion, is always just around the corner. But hopefully someday real soon now, we’ll have rechargeable technology that will charge like crazy, hold a higher power density and last for many days if not weeks instead of just a day or two, and will allow thousands of more recharge cycles than today’s technology. If such battery technology ever arrives, it will make stuff like solar power a lot more practicable and you’d want that in your HA’s for sure instead of disposable solutions.

And the nice thing about such pie-in-the-sky hopes for rechargeable batteries is it’s not being driven by the HA market for it. It’s being driven by the quest for dependable renewable energy, the electric car market, the solar-powered panel microgeneration/microgrid industry that’s taking off around the country at a local level, the portable phone, tablet, and mobile computer industry. So the quest to succeed has almost nothing to do with HA’s but if anyone builds a better battery mousetrap, it’s going to land with a gigantic thud in the HA industry. Suddenly a lot of disposable battery makers may be looking for a new role in life…

No doubt in the future, rechargeable will be the way forward.

However, right now, it’s not ready for prime time.

I’ve just pulled a rechargeable battery out of my 2008 MacBook as it’s depleted and has started to swell. If this had been a newer model, it’s essentially sealed. It would have swelled and warped the device, destroying it. This happened to an old iPhone of mine. I had to disassemble it to save the device.

I work shifts, I’m on the go a lot. Lugging additional junk around with me is something that I can do without.

Whilst I can see the benefit for those with poor manual dexterity, and perhaps for safety reasons (swallowing small batteries), a small disposable battery is more convenient.

The solution is better efficiency, lower current draw. Rechargeables may well get there one day, but it’s very early days and the cons outweigh the pros for me.

The Quattro charger is very small — palm size, actually. Since you remove your HAs while sleeping and would generally be putting them into some sort of container, why the objection to using such a compact, unobtrusive and well-engineered case such as the one for the Quattro?

Sorry about my paragraph above: thought you had been referring to the size of the charger case and not the HA itself. You said:

The main reason is the rechergeable solution is bigger than the 312 batteries version. And for me is not a negligible thing.

While I cannot compare the Quattro’s size to any other device, since this is my first, I find the Quattro to be comfortably small and completely unobtrusive: I never think about it or notice it, except when I am taking off or putting on my glasses. I find that the sidepiece of my wirerim glasses fit easily between my skull and the Quattro, without any discomfort at all.

Admittedly, as I am a first-time HA user, I have never gone the traditional battery route. But I’m enjoying the simplicity of not having to open doors and swap button batteries periodically, and for me this just seems to be where the tech world is moving towards right now: rechargeability. The added initial rechargeables cost balanced against disposable battery purchases over time may turn out to be pretty much a wash. As more people become used to rechargeable battery technology in HAs, I can see manufacturers gradually reducing production costs — in as far as having fewer SKUs to maintain — by perhaps making more of their new, and especially high-end instruments, only available as rechargeables.

Swollen laptop batteries are not uncommon, and not in any way limited to Apple devices. There must be a slew of technical reasons why a tiny HA rechargeable battery is very unlikely to have a similar issue. I’m not at all worried about my Quattro rechargeables. I believe they ARE more than ready for prime time!

The technology of disposable zinc-air hearing aid batteries is pretty amazing. Very high energy density, and hardly toxic at all (blanket warnings about “button batteries” notwithstanding). Seems a shame to be forced to give that up in favor of Li-ion, with its well-known shortcomings.

Incidentally, nothing to do with hearing aids, but rechargeable zinc-air batteries are coming out for energy storage.

I have Resound Forte size 13. I stream just a little and get a full week between battery changes . This is very convenient, as I simply change batteries each Monday morning.

if I stream a lot, I don’t get a full week- and this is always in the back of my mind while streaming.

I would love to have the Quattro rechargeable capability so I could stream without needing to give battery life a second thought.

9am appointment to pickup Quattro 7’s. Can’t wait!!! Been trying to get afford hearing aids for a year now!

Well, now I’m an official card-carrying HA wearer. I got my ReSound Quattro’s (9 61’s) today and never having worn hearing aids before, it’s a little hard to give them a knowledgeable review, at least as of yet. But from the moment I put them on, I’ve been delighted with them. I really like my audi, too. She let me start out at full settings - she said that she doesn’t buy into the gradually cranking settings up as you go with one level, you’re forming opinions, tweaking the settings in the app, and then, Oops!, suddenly the sound changes and your’re constantly reforming your opinion. So she said she might have overdone the volume a bit - I can tweak it in the app, but after two weeks, if I don’t have any reason to contact her sooner, she’ll see how I adjusted my four programs (All-Around, Restaurant, Outdoor, Music-the standard ones) and if needed, reset the default parameters for those to match the adjustments I like, e.g., if I have a particular Favorite derived from one of those programs that I quite like better than the basic version. She has a lot of confidence in my ability to adjust the sound to my liking with the power in the Smart 3D app.

In speaking with folks while using my Quattro’s, I have a bit of a Hi-Fi/PA system notion in my brain that I’m on a mic and talking with someone over an audio system - a little bit of reverberation - but I’m pretty adaptable and could probably get used to it and like it quite easily-because just like someone using a mic to talk to you, the people I hear come in loud and clear. I have very open domes and my voice sounds quite normal to me, too, with the little bit of reverb there, also. Perhaps small noises are amplified a bit more than they would be to a normal hearing ear -but it delights me. When the audi’s assistant was turning appointment pages to find a date for my next appointment, I could hear the pages softly swishing against each other - probably haven’t heard such a sound in decades. The compression in the Quattro’s must be doing its job great on loud noises, though, because opening and closing the microwave door, clattering plates, etc., the sounds are sharp and fairly loud but not disturbing (to me) at all.

But the thing that sealed the deal for me was driving home from the audi and listening to music on the car radio. In particular, Rick Springfield’s Jesse’s Girl and Michael Jackson’s Beat It, both of which have a lot of high-pitched percussion and high-pitched guitar in them, sounded TOTALLY AWESOME. I also drive an older (2007) model Honda Accord Hybrid and Honda’s are not noted for being very good with road noise. The radio sounded great and the road noise seemed no greater to me than it’s ever been (the audi cranked up noise suppression quite a bit on the All-Around program).

If I bring anything close to either ear with the Quattro’s, I have zero feedback. I can generate very soft and low feedback if I run my fingers through my hair. No wind noise outdoors but then it’s not very windy today (the audi has wind noise suppression cranked up to the max, too). Even though I have medium power receivers, I have no sensation of processor noise in either ear but then since it’s raining today, it’s hard to find a totally quiet environment in my house to really check it out.

I don’t think the audi used REM to fit me - I didn’t notice anything in addition to the HA’s - so we’ll see how that works out. But she was extremely proficient in showing me how to insert and remove the HA’s, take care of the HA’s, use the Phone Clip+, and use the Smart 3D app. She’s very generous with her time. I apologized for asking a lot of questions and she replied, “I like questions.” So anyone in San Antonio, TX interesting in getting a ReSound HA through TruHearing (or even directly through her) might want to look her up. Dr. Jodi Mclean. She said she doesn’t go by the 3-fitting sessions allowed in the TruHearing contract and if I needed to come back more often, she’d be happy to see me. If I have any reason to change my opinion in the future, I’ll update this post. She doesn’t have many online reviews but the few that I’ve seen are all 5-Star and emphasize what I found - she’s a very agreeable, easy to work with person and very knowledgeable. She’s been in business since 1983.

Apologies if rewriting mini-reviews of your audi is against Hearing Tracker policy. I’ll be glad to delete anything that I’ve written that’s against site policy.

The acid test will certainly be going to a noisy restaurant with my soft-voiced wife and seeing how that all works out. Being outside on a really windy day, Running some of my ear-splitting power tools with gun muffs and the like on over my HA’s (and probably turning them off). Watching DVD’s and Blu-Ray movies is also big on my checklist.

But so far, having no other experience with HA’s, I am super-delighted with my Quattro’s and very glad that I got them.

Jim glad you are happy with them… I’ve had mine for a month and really like them…also when you start using your power tools don’t be surprised when everything is super loud and then after a few seconds they sound will muffle down… it really is surprising how good the sound suppression works … when in my car I switch to my restaurant program for some reason in the small confined space this program works better for me… I actually only use the all around and restaurant programs the music and outdoor programs I didn’t care for… I also made up a favorite program when in the house… I changed my bass middle and treble adjustments in the sound enhancer

@Ureout - Thanks for the tips! If you have any advice on the accessories, I’d love to hear that, too. I’ve read that a number of forum members like the Multi-Mic (bad, old foggy memory as to who) and I think I’ll probably want to get that towards the end of my trial period when I’m sure I want to keep the Quattro’s (I already feel sure -but I’ve read a number of other users’ posts where an initial romance turned into a bromance so I’ll try real hard to be restrained!). I have the Phone Clip+ and am looking forward to exasperating my wife when she gets home from work having her call me up a bunch to see if I get a slow connection or stuttering, etc. Same tests for streaming podcasts with the PhoneClip+, too.

Got my Quattros last Friday. They are tiny!!! The sound and my speech discrimination is much better than the Linx3D. The streaming sounds very good. The stream is also much more stable than with the Linx3D. Mine are the rechargeable 61s. The charger is a slick little package.

the one accessory that I use daily is the TV streamer … it works great and raises comprehension so I don’t need closed caption… I have also got the multi mic but haven;t really used it more than a couple times… but it did work good… I didn’t need the phone clip because I have an I phone and streaming from that was also very good

I have an iPhone as well, but with the streamer, I can hook up other Bluetooth sources. I am an electrician at work. So I carry a two way radio. My streamer pipes the sound into my hearing aids and the streamers mic acts as the radio microphone.

Also, if your work requires you use gloves a lot, I suggest the remote for the Resound. It is very well done.

Got my Quattro 7’s around 10am. Was able to hear everyone in a meeting today for the first time in a long time. Loving them so far. I have the open domes and the music steaming is ok. My see if I can get so closed ones to compare

I haven’t tried streaming music from my phone much. In my car with my open domes, I could get a lot of bass from my car speakers, which are those in a top-of-the-line Accord. But I noticed in the Smart 3D app, there is an option choice to enhance bass as much as possible in streaming - I’ll have to give it a try. Audio podcasts of the human voice sound great when streamed - having all the “s” sounds, etc., that I was lacking before.

Might be the placebo effect but if you’re using an Android phone, might want to check the phone audio settings (don’t know about iPhone). My Samsung phone running Oreo is normally running “optimized” settings - meaning everything is scaled back a bit to avoid chewing battery - but there is an “entertainment” setting that promises to enhance the quality of digital audio - I think it’s supposed to upscale it to a higher audio bitrate just as with video a DVD can be upscaled from 480p to not look crappy when displayed on a high-definition TV. Whenever I go walking and listening to a podcast, I switch to the entertainment setting (my screen is off so I’m not burning extra battery lighting up a max res “entertainment” screen, too) and I like to think that the audio sounds better than ever! I have a good imagination!

Well, so much for that one with Resound LiNX Quattro 9 61’s. I’d say it’s not bad but it’s certainly not “instantaneous” and the first few seconds can be less than great. My wife hit on the clever idea to qualitatively time the connection by having the person who answers, when they hit the answer button, start counting "1…, 2…, 3…, …. (at a normal moderate counting pace). Whether I called her from my Android phone using the Phone Clip+ or she called me from her iPhone, invariably at least the initial “1” count was missed and when I called her the 2, 3, to about 4, was a bit garbled although I could hear her counting. After the first two or three seconds, a pretty good connection is established but what I hear in my HA’s does not have a audio quality of a Plantronics Calisto Pro headset - but it could be the cell tower connectivity and my cell plan are different, too, from back in the day.

I see there are a ton of other threads on this forum critiquing Phone Clip+ connectivity. I didn’t try to find the best home for my little contribution. Just wanted to correct what I previously wrote in this thread that I’m quoting above.

I haven’t experienced any warbling or stuttering once streaming starts but I’ve experienced the same start-up delay if I stream audio from my Windows 10 PC through the Phone Clip+ to my HA’s (and I’ve streamed an hour or two now). Don’t know what’s going on there. Sometimes there is little or no delay in the audio reaching the HA’s from the start of video playing. Sometimes the delay in audio is a long as 7 seconds after the video starts playing on the PC. Maybe the startup is delay is that the Phone Clip+ likes to go to sleep to conserve battery juice and depending on circumstances, it takes a while for it to wake up or be awakened by the PC. So the cure for HA/Phone Clip+ connectivity is probably not newer model HA’s but ReSound coming up with a better PhoneClip+ 2, I think. Perhaps the one or two second delay in a phone-to-phone connection will not be noticeable most of the time since most people allow for a few seconds of “Hello?..Hello?” before trying to launch into any meaningful conversation.

Well, it’s a big day on the forum for Quattro first impressions. I thought I’d add mine. I’ve had mine for about 8 weeks. Today I made my first request through ReSound Assist. My partner says, and he’s right, that I’m back to asking him to repeat stuff quite a bit. I let my audiologist know and she “increased the gain in the aids and also adjusted the volumes for both quiet and soft speech.” The app let me know that her software change was ready to install. The install took about a minute. It definitely “took” because I hear the difference. And, if it doesn’t work for me, there’s a feature in the app to restore the prior settings. Pretty cool, especially since I live in a very rural area and my audiologist is almost an hour and a half away!

I am still struggling with comfort, though–and with the aids moving forward in my ear canal (especially one). And my glasses are still not playing nice with the aids. I have an audiologist appt in November and I think I’m going to ask to have custom domes made. And I’m waiting to see eye doctors in November also.

My main problem so far is just cosmetic. The audi thought that #3 wires were too long (3-inch wires?) so she changed them to #2’s. But I think they’re a bit too short. It’s hard to make the wires run along between the curve of my helices and my hairline, then enter over the ear surface near the tip of the concha. One would think that they would make #2.5 wires! Could be, too, as I try to insert the domes in my ear canals, I’m going about it the wrong way and causing them to splay out instead of hugging down along my hairline. Really not a Quattro/ReSound question but since @Noreen1009 mentions dome movement, etc., my problem seems to me to be somewhat related to a newbie dome insertion problem! I am very unconscious of my domes and have had no movement but if I grit my teeth or move my jaw in a certain way, I sometimes create uncomfortable pressure on the left dome but not the right?! Again maybe a newbie insertion problem - for some stupid reason (I’m right-handed), it’s easier to insert the right dome into my right ear.

On the glasses, I wear metal frames that don’t curve much around my ear. Perhaps it’s the Sports Locks attached to my domes, but I’m able to remove and replace my glasses without anything much happening to my HA’s. It doesn’t seem to matter whether I put the HA’s on first or the glasses but if I put the glasses on first, I have to think more about carefully removing them without disturbing the HA’s - the audi’s opinion was that I have plenty of room behind my ears - how do folks quantify this for comparison?! If I press a ruler again my scalp, try to grab the ruler where the inside face of my helix is, there is about 10 mm of space between my scalp and the inside surface of the top of my ear (put then I might be depressing my scalp with the ruler). One day after getting the Quattro’s, I have just about zero sensation that they’re sitting behind my ears, whether they’re on top of my glasses or the glasses are on top of them. Maybe wearing glasses habituates me to any sensation from that region?