GN Hearing introduces ReSound LiNX Quattro

resound

Rarely see any mention here or elsewhere online re use of dryers for rechargeable HAs. I’ve been using Quattro BTE rechargeables with standard domes for about 6 weeks now and, at this point, can’t see any actual need for a dryer. Anyone have info on the benefits, if any, of machine drying of rechargeables? And if any benefit, which machine to use? Or are the small, simple dessicant-filled containers just as adequate, assuming drying does have any beneficial effect on a HA without a battery door where moisture and humidity can enter?

I just got my ReSound Multi-Mic and I am IMPRESSED!

Except that any instructions by ReSound on using it with the rechargeable 9 61 Quattro’s are entirely lacking. Not even an insert in the box or an update on the website to mention how to specifically set it up (states in the pairing instructions “your audiologist will probably do this for you…” but mentions that the pairing process was intentionally designed for the user to do him/herself in a simple, straightforward manner.

So since I have no battery doors to open and close, I deduced I just turn the durn HA’s off, start the pairing process with the Multi-Mic and be sure to turn both HA’s on within the 20-second pairing window - practiced picking one up with each hand and turning them both on separately at the same time - and it worked!

But my next major unanswered question is, “Is the only way to turn streaming to the HA’s from the Multi-Mic ON or OFF just to hold a power button on one of the HA’s down for 5 seconds until you hear a melody?” I was disappointed that there doesn’t seem to be any way in the Smart 3D app to turn Multi-Mic streaming on or off. If one just turns the Multi-Mic off does that effectively terminate streaming or are the HA’s wasting battery power listening to a BT channel that’s not broadcasting?

I never paid much attention to the ReSound Connectivity instructions before getting the Multi-Mic but as an Android user, the booklet that comes with the Quattro’s is depressing. At least 3/4 of it seems to be devoted to connectivity to an iOS device and the Apple Watch. The Android connectivity instructions seem to be thrown in as an afterthought (part by copy and paste) as the section heading for the Android section has as an overlooked typo subheading “How to pair your ReSound Smart Hearing aids to your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.” (p.53) and my wife pointed out to me that the diagram on that Android page on “How to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to reveal the Control Center” is showing the iPhone Control Center!!!? - nothing Android!

And Made for Android connectivity is coming real soon any day now from ReSound!

Oh, well. As a physical device, the sensitivity of the Multi-Mic is impressive. My wife with her soft voice will now be able to sound like a drill sergeant yelling in my ear! And I like the ability to control mic loudness vs. environmental sounds independently. Well worth the $266 paid at Costco even if the warranty for an accessory purchased through Costco is only valid when returned to a Costco for service.

Update to Turning Multi-Mic Streaming to HA’s On/Off The answer as to other ways to turn the Multi-Mic streaming on or off is in the User Guide(p.15,16), not the Quick Guide, which was what I had been reading. The 3 ways are 1) button presses on HA’s, or 2) use of a Remote Control (separate device), or 3) selecting or deselecting the Multi-Mic program in the Smart 3D app on your phone (the option I was looking for, Hurray!). Option 3 makes use of the Multi-Mic very convenient.

I would not put your Quattro rechargeables in a heating dryer. Heat is bad for Li-ion batteries. If you wanted to use a dryer, I’d use a desiccant dryer. My audiologist, when I asked about drying my Quattro 9 61’s (I was thinking about desiccant drying), told me that I didn’t need to worry about drying, that the recharger slightly heated the HA’s and that would serve a drying purpose. (but I haven’t ever noticed the HA’s getting noticeably warm but then I never charge them from anywhere near close to 0% to 100%, either).

In my special scheme of charging, I only make sure the HA’s are charged above 40% before I go to bed. Then I leave them in the middle part of the charger case not charging overnight with the lid of the case open a cm or so. Texas has such a dry climate, at least indoors, almost the entire year, I trust the HA’s will dry out just sitting around overnight (the wax dries nicely and is easier to remove from the domes the next morning). Then the next morning while I am getting dressed, feeding the cat, eating breakfast, reading the newspaper, brushing my teeth, I let my HA’s charge to about 70% (10 min or so beyond a 60% charge). 0.7 x 30 hours full charge should be 21 hours of charge. But then in the evening, if the HA’s drop below 40%, I usually take a “break” as many users on this forum recommend and recharge my HA’s up above 60% again (20 to 30 min), more than enough to get me through the rest of the day without dropping below 40% again (and as long as I don’t go below before 40% for more than a couple of hours, I don’t bother in my scheme - 20% is the “recharge soon” limit for me and in another thread I mention the Lowe Pro Volta 25 belt camera case that I found at Best Buy that holds the charger rather nicely if I want to carry it with me when I’m out and about and be able to recharge anywhere from the case battery pack.

jim… when pairing instead of turning HA’s on and off it is much easier to place the HA’s back in the charger for a few seconds and then take them out… also once they are paired you should get a symbol for the multi mic on the main page of the app

Thanks! I belatedly realized that but you beat me to updating my post. I got to thinking, “Why did my audi ask me for my charger case when she first paired my HA’s to my phone and wanted to reboot them?!” And I was worried since I was setting up my Multi-Mic without going through my audi that she might not have enabled a Multi-Mic program, so it was a relief to see the Multi-Mic appear in the Smart 3D app and get focus after the blinking status light on the Multi-Mic turned to solid orange, then blinking green.

It’s neat that you can actually get the battery charge status of the Multi-Mic by a > 3 sec press on the Multi-Mic Mode button in 25% charge increments from the # of the four Mode LED’s that blink. Helps to avoid always recharging the battery to 100% so you won’t run out not knowing the % charge you have left (not good for long-term Li-ion battery lifespan).

BTW, I wanted to create a separate thread to discuss Multi-Mic use with the Quattro but Erasmus Braun seems to think all Quattro discussion belongs in one thread - and fused my initial post in here, same with NYDigital’s question about drying. Oticon Opn and Phonak threads seem to be allowed more diversity - and some moderators on some older forums actually leave editorial comments in moved posts in making such fusions to educate forum users in how they want the forum to be organized - so I think that would be helpful here when a moderator makes a change (haven’t looked yet in my post history to see if the original thread still exists visible to me but not to others, etc., with an explanation from Erasmus)

They ordered me a new set and they work much better. No weird cutting in and out in the car listening to music or sports. I think she mentioned that the early version I received (I pre-ordered) had some functions grayed-out but are now accessible. I must have got a not-ready-for-Prime-time software version initially.

Had these 2 weeks and no complaints. Hosted a meeting for about 30 companies and for the first time heard every question without issue, even those with softer speech.

I wore my Quattros on my trip to New York City this month. Wearing 3D’s on previous trips, the noise in the subway was unpleasant unless I used the Noise Filter option in the app. The Quattros produced a more pleasant sound that I felt no need to adjust. Impressive considering the noises down there.

As I think @MDB pointed out to me, one can sign up at Audiology Online and take courses for free to widen your understanding of hearing and HA’s (you pay if you want to get CEU’s towards maintaining a certification, etc).

I just took the course offered on the ReSound Smart Fit 1.3 fitting software, 56 minutes in length, and a good rundown on the sort of adjustments that are possible for your ReSound HA’s. The course focuses on the Quattro’s and introduced me to a number of features and adjustments I didn’t know were possible. For example, the course discusses the behavior of Quattro microphones in all-around listen mode (one set of microphones will focus binaurally on detected speech, another will continue to listen all-around) and also the ability of the Quattro to sense different listening environments and how volume and noise reduction can be set to adjust automatically when specific listening environments are detected by the Quattro’s, etc.

Perhaps if other fitting software tutorials are available on Audiology Online for other HA brands, other users would find auditing the tutorials equally helpful in getting to know their particular HA’s better. It’s certainly given me some questions to ask my audi and I plan to play around with the Smart Fit 1.3 software more myself (DIY) to learn more in depth what features the Quattro has and how my audi has adjusted them so far (no plans right now to twiddle anything myself until I learn A LOT MORE! but I’m getting a Noahlink Wireless device).

https://www.audiologyonline.com/audiology-ceus/course/introducing-resound-smart-fit-fitting-28880

(after you create an account, which requires no payment, you will be able to watch the 56-min video).

I think there’s value in doing this even if you don’t get a programming device (Noahlink wireless). Exploring the software is the only way I know of to really get a feel for what kind of options are available. It’s also perfectly ok to leave it in the hands of the professional. I doubt many of us are heavily involved in what pacemaker the doctor chooses or how it is programmed. :smile:

When in the ReSound Smart Fit 1.3 program, there is a link to all the ReSound courses available for free on Audiology Online.

If you’re into finding out the details of your Quattro’s, there’s a course specifically designed for hearing aid professionals in which ReSound explains the new features available in the Quattro’s: (presumably how these HA’s differ from earlier ReSound models, etc).

Not sure how I got this FILTER/SEARCH view from Audiology Online but it is a very powerful one (I found the link to Audiology Online with the filter on the ReSound Pro webiste).

In the particular view shown via the link, one sees ReSound courses but one can put in Search terms to get courses on a specific topics quite easily. The link shows the ReSound courses that deal with NOISE and some courses that deal with optimizing speech in noise. So it might be useful to view some of the courses (free to audit with a free Audiology Online membership) with a view to discussing knowledgeably with your audi what might be done to optimize the ability of your HA’s to deal with noise, wind, and speech in noise (haven’t yet viewed myself - just advertising the usefulness of the Filter/Search view, which can presumably be applied to other HA brands as well for users learning more how other brands work, too).

UPDATE If one takes the link used without the term, e.g, “https://www.audiologyonline.com/ce/resound/events/search/#/” and in your browser edits out the “resound” and substitutes “starkey” or “oticon” or “phonak” (without the quotes or any spaces, etc.) one can get a similar Filter/Search view for other brands. The ReSound Audiology Online offerings appear to be particularly rich compared to some of the other brands but HA wearers of other brands still might find interesting info relative to their HA’s.

Something to keep in mind is that there can be value in looking at courses for older software. I’ve sometimes found tips on programming in general that way.

The following manual describes in some detail the fitting adjustments available for ReSound LiNX Quattro’s and the reasons that a hearing professional might want to implement some of the features.
https://www.resoundpro.com/~/media/REFRESH/US/00-DOWNLOADS/Guides/MK605106-gu-linxquattro-fittingguide.ashx?la=en-US

In one of the manuals I’ve read ReSound emphasized that improper use of its fitting software could cause hearing damage. Particular emphasis was given to the dangers of dialing up the gain on tinnitus management too much. It was said that if the output would exceed 85 dB, the patient was not to use tinnitus suppression more than 8 hours a day, if tinnitus management were operating at 90 dB, no use longer than 2 hours a day, per OSHA standards on sound levels causing hearing loss. Hard to imagine that anyone would want 85 dB of suppression sound. (see top left column on page 17 of following guide, warnings on misuse of fitting software in general and inappropriate gain appear on p.16 of the manual)
http://www.declarations.resound.com/~/media/USERGUIDES/ReSound_SmartFit_UserGuide-en-US.ashx?la=end

EDIT UPDATE: A shorter synopsis of various fitting features is actually given in the tooltips on the product page for Quattro on the Hearing Tracker site if you mouse over the various features. The 1st ReSound manual cited above has a much more in-depth discussion of the features and is provided by ReSound, not Hearing Tracker, so it might be more accurate.

Hi, ReSound claims that the new Quattro cover and extended frequency bandwidth, up to 9.5 kHz. Do you hear a difference when compared to Phonak? I have now Naida

Hi Noreen, how did you go about getting the prices and if they sold the Quatros from different Audiologists? In New England I have been to 3 and they all sell different Brands.

I phoned audiologists in my area and asked them what brands of hearing aids they sold. If they told me that they sold ReSound, I told them I was going to purchase ReSound Quattros and asked them to give me the price, and also asked: (1) whether I could demo them without purchasing them, (2) what their restocking fee was, (3) what was the cost of the recharging unit, (4) whether they had any extra fitting fee or other fees, (5) what was included in their fees (e.g. free batteries, free cleaning), and (6) whether they did real ear measurements. I didn’t encounter anyone who wouldn’t provide the information. At some clinics, I first reached a technician and generally they wouldn’t tell me the price but had someone call me back.

Don’t know how soon you might want to get Quattro’s but if the rumor is true that Costco will come out with a “defeatured” version of the Quattro’s, probably lacking tinnitus management and remote assist for starters, you might want to wait a bit to see and potentially save a lot of money on an HA model that has all of the most basic features and the highly rated service (by users) of Costco besides.

The downside would be that it’s only a rumor and you end up waiting for something that never materializes.

Edit_Update: Additional limitations of a defeatured Quattro-like device from Costco are likely to be that its settings are locked and one has to go to Costco for any change in fitting or any warranty/repair issues.

Thanks, good to know

Cool, I’ve had a couple Costco Aids, KS5 and KS7, and been pretty satisfied overall. Just found out that my new medical insurance will cover some new aids, so I’m exploring to see what I can get. Thanks

Tip for ReSound Quattro users on noise reduction control:

ReSound has some excellent online courses at Audiology Online. These are for providers to understand how your HA’s and the fitting software work in order to better fit you. But understanding how these things work can benefit you as a user in knowing how your audi/HIS can adjust your HA’s to improve your fit (or hurt your fit if doing the wrong thing). Also, since you have some control over your fit through being able to make adjustments to performance in the ReSound Smart 3D app, one could learn some useful stuff about the wisdom of overriding defaults in the app.

The Quattro’s come in 3 models with increasing features: 5, 7, and 9. Noise reduction is one of the model-dependent features. Model 5 only offers Mild and Moderate Noise reduction, model 7 throws in Considerable, and model 9 offers all that plus Strong noise reduction. The Quattro 9’s also offer the ability to program the amount of automatic noise reduction applied on the basis of which of 7 sound environments the HA’s think they find themselves in. Supposedly up to a certain point ReSound claims that noise reduction does not affect speech audibility per se, just improving speech-to-noise ratio. A table of how many dB of noise reduction each setting contributes is below:

Mild 3 dB
Moderate 6 dB
Considerable 8 dB
Strong 10 dB

So a 10 dB reduction for the Quattro 9’s sounds great. Right?! The kicker is in the Audiology Online course ReSound Smart Fit: Advanced Features Tips and Tricks - AudiologyOnline, which you can take for free after registering, the lecturer recommends NOT using the Strong noise reduction setting in any environment involving speech. She says at that strength of noise reduction, the processing will begin to degrade speech audibility and that one should stick to the Considerable setting in speech situations.

You as a user have control over this in the Smart 3D app. If you have the 9’s, you will see all the possible noise reduction settings available to you in the noise reduction slider available by hitting the Sound Enhancer button for any program environment. I’ve experienced the reduction in speech understanding by reflexively hitting up Strong - and now I know that’s probably going to be counterproductive in speech environments and it’s better to stick to Considerable for speech. The Automatic setting on the Noise Slider in the Smart 3D app probably just lets the Quattro’s run on whatever noise reduction your provider has programmed into the Quattro’s for any one of the 7 different sound classification environments - so hopefully your provider knows about Strong vs. Considerable and is not using Strong for any environment involving speech. The Strong setting is just for noise-only environments or perhaps if you are willing to tolerate some possible speech degradation just to tone down the noise (and I think the noise reduction works best against droning, repetitive noises, not sharp, variable, irregular sudden noises). The 7 sound classification environments for ReSound are:

Quiet
Speech (soft)
Speech (loud)
Speech in noise (moderate)
Speech in noise (loud)
Noise (moderate)
Noise (loud)