GN Hearing first to support direct Android streaming using ASHA

I think the earliest will be late this Fall. Google is rumored to be releasing their Pixel 5 with Snapdragon 768G chipset which should have BT 5.2. New phones seem to be coming out all the time, but agree that it will be a number of years before BT 5.2 is widely adopted.

2 Likes

It’s a protocol that supports streaming to essentially one brand of hearing aid as opposed to LE Audio which will support low-energy streaming to about a thousand times (yes, I pulled that figure out of the air) more potential users. Its low uptake is not a surprise. Apple and Google also manufacture ear buds by the way. That synergy is a huge incentive.

Yes, it may appear on flagship phones first, but once it’s baked into the OS- and not just as an exotic ‘accessibility’ feature- it won’t be long before every new phone will have it.

The main issue for me is that as a hearing aid user, overall audio latency (not just Bluetooth latency) is extremely important. I’ll be looking for a lot of improvement in that area- especially from Android phones.

I know what ASHA is. I’ve posted the specifications for it. My point is that despite it being part of the Android, ASHA is available on very few devices. The reason for this is related to the many reasons for the fragmentation of Android. This is probably why the Android Dashboard is no longer working. I’m not a fan of Apple, but one excellent feature of the iPhone is that iOS is current on the overwhelming majority of devices, even MFi, which didn’t exist when many iPhones were originally sold. I’m unaware of a single Android phone that ASHA was backported to. If the Android Dashboard reported the number of devices that support ASHA, we would know how many there are, but I doubt it’s more than 1 or 2%, hardly motivation for hearing aid companies to invest in supporting the technology.

I know you know what ASHA is. You were using its poor uptake by phone manufacturers and hearing aid manufacturers to support your 3-5 year prediction for LE Audio. I’m saying it was nothing but a half-baked misadventure that interested no-one partly because every manufacturer knew there was something infinitely better coming just down the road. The hearing aid manufacturers definitely knew it was coming because it was their association that approached Bluetooth SIG in 2013 and proposed development of a new standard.

You can’t use the history of ASHA to predict the future of LE Audio. The two protocols are not comparable

1 Like

ReSound App Support gave me a fix: uninstalling and reinstalling the Smart 3D app makes the ‘phantom notification exclamation’ on ASHA Direct Streaming availability go away. Problem solved!

Update 2020-07-24: Oops! Phantom Exclamation Point for Direct Streaming Availability came back today! So much for “problem solved!”

Are any of those three not a Pixel or a Samsung? lol You changed your post half-way through posting my reply. The question still stands I guess. What’s the third make?

Here is the ASHA compatibility list for phones from the Resound site (: https://www.resound.com/en-au/help/compatibility#androiddevice). I think we’ve had this dance before. Running Android 10 is NOT sufficient for compatibility. ASHA needs to be enabled by the manufacturer.

• Google Pixel 4 XL
  • Google Pixel 4
  • Google Pixel 3 XL
  • Google Pixel 3
  • Google Pixel 3a XL
  • Google Pixel 3a
  • Samsung Galaxy S20+
  • Samsung Galaxy S20
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
  • Samsung Galaxy S10+
  • Samsung Galaxy S10
  • Samsung Galaxy S10e
  • Samsung Galaxy Z flip
  • Samsung Note 10+
  • Samsung Note 10

What other aids other than Resound have ASHA? Genuinely curious.

1 Like

Pretty sure Starkey does.

Checked and you’re right. Thanks. I thought there was at least one other. Still waiting for LE Audio myself. Waiting waiting waiting…

hello, which brand of hearing aid do you use ?

You need more than Android 10. Android 10 and BT 5.0 are necessary but not sufficient. d_wooluf already posted Resound’s list of compatible phones. Here’s their disclaimer from their website: *Full streaming compatibility with Android devices requires minimum Android v10 and Bluetooth 5.0 and that functionality has been enabled by the phone manufacturer and service carrier.

2 Likes

Yesterday I checked the Samsung “S10 Lite” (with bluetooth 5 and android 10) - it works like a remote control, but the sound does not stream.
I also checked the Samsung S20 - it streams the sound perfectly.
P.s. I have ReSound Linx Quattro 9

2 Likes

Your statement, “They need to be running Android 10 that is all.” is NOT correct. For ASHA to work, it must be implemented by the phone manufacturer. A phone that was previously sold with Android 9 that was upgraded to Android 10 likely does not support ASHA. Even a phone that was originally sold with Android 10 does not necessarily support ASHA.

1 Like

I don’t understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting that people not worry about what phone one buys to use with hearing aids and just hope for the best and not worry about reading the requirements specified by the manufacturer? Are you talking about using the phone as a remote or streaming from the phone? These may seem like picky details and if ignored are likely to lead to being unsatisfied with how one’s phone works. If you’ve had a good experience streaming from a phone not on the list, stating which phone you used could be helpful.

1 Like

What is the make and model of your phone?

1 Like

What kind of android phone do you have? Answer the question!

I suggest we leave hearingaiduser2020 to his own devices (boom tish) whatever they may be.

3 Likes

I was reading a Oneplus (Smartphone maker) forum and it looks like they have ASHA in a beta.

3 Likes

Who can I talk to about getting ReSound to offer and support backwards-compatibility with “non-compliant” devices, such as a Windows 10 laptop/desktop? I am an IT professional who works mostly on a computer, and the inability to stream directly to my hearing aids is bothersome. Not to mention the principle of not getting my computer to properly pair with my brand-new hearing aids (Jabra Enhance Pro) just irks me. :slight_smile:

I don’t believe what you’re asking for is possible. I see 2 options. 1) If your hearing aids are within the return period, return them to Costco and purchase KS10. Your computer should be able to stream directly to them, although it might take a little tweaking. 2)Purchase the TV Streamer that is compatible with your device and plug it into your computer.

3 Likes