GN Hearing first to support direct Android streaming using ASHA

I’ve known Paul for over 25 years since we both were beta testers for Microsoft Windows. I’ve met him at Industry functions. You’ve gotta love Paul, but sometimes he’s an accident waiting for a place to happen. At the end of his 3 XL “review” his last sentences were:

" Maybe the Pixel 4 XL will solve all my problems. You never know. For now, I’m still grappling with whether the Pixel 3 XL makes sense for me today . So far, it’s not a disaster. But it’s not a slam-dunk either."

You never know what Paul might mean by that.

The Android Police article seems wound up in cell phone comparative pricing. I didn’t find anything else negative other than the article writer’s fixation on the Pixel low market share. But think about it. The Pixel is made by Google and Google owns Pixel and the Android operating system. Android has over 80% of the cell phone market. Google has more cash available than any company in history according to the article. Why would Google spend money promoting their Pixel phone at the expense of all the other Android phone makers who buy their operating system? You constantly see Samsung ads everywhere. Samsung is the cell phone market leader and is, of course, Google’s biggest customer for the Android operating system. I should think that would put things in perspective for the guy writing the article.

1 Like

I neglected to say something about the first article you mentioned. I can only tell you that in almost a year of owning a Pixel 3 XL, I’ve not experienced any of the problems the reviewer enumerated.

Given past Pixel history, which is often true of other phones, too, it might pay to wait a bit to see if there are any bugs they didn’t catch/fix and wait to get a better price. I recall Thurrott thought the Pixel 3 was initially overpriced for what it offered compared to other premium phones. Just suggesting waiting a bit as a general approach, not specifically for you.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. It’s true for any device or the software that drives it. There is no such thing as bug free software. No matter how careful development is, there are always things that were never tested for that slip through. Last year I put in my order for the Pixel 3 XL while they were still in the middle of the release event. I was lucky with the satisfaction I have with my current Pixel. I’m sure it would be prudent to watch what happens in the weeks after release this time.

How can I find out the software number of my Resound Quattro 961?
as well as
Which device on android can now work with RQ 961 and transmit sound / music, etc. ?

If by software number you mean “firmware version,” use the Smart 3D app on your smartphone (the latest version on Google Play is v1.5). While connected to the Internet and connected to your HA’s via BT, launch the Smart 3D app. If your hearing care provider(HCP) has provisioned your Quattro’s for ReSound Assist (remote connection both to your hearing care provider for remote fine-tuning of your settings over the Internet and for downloading firmware updates from ReSound), you will see the My ReSound tab at the bottom of the main page of the 3D app. After you tap My ReSound, you will see on the page for that applet towards the bottom a line for ReSound Assist if you have it enabled through your HCP. One of the lines under ReSound Assist will be Hearing Aid Software Updates. If you open that, you can check if the firmware is available for you to download in your region of the world. You should be sure that your HA’s are reasonably charged before you do a firmware update (at least 50% charged, probably). The app will instruct you how to proceed and you cannot remove the HA’s from the proximity of your smartphone until it’s done. If you’re uncertain about how to proceed, you can probably go to your HCP and they should be able to do it for you. The firmware version that enables ASHA is 10043.4300. Right now the only known devices that support ASHA under Android 10 are the forthcoming Google Pixel 4/4 XL devices and the various Pixel 3/3A devices but as time goes by one can imagine other Android 10 phones will support it as well (see debates about how many OEM’s will earlier in this thread). To find out what version of the Smart 3D app you’re running you can go to Android Settings, Apps, Smart 3D, look at very end of that app’s listings. Or as someone else pointed out above, in the app itself, go to More tab at bottom, Legal Information, Manufacturer.

After you have updated to v1.5 of the app and .4300 of the firmware according to ReSound you should experience faster and more reliable BT connectivity as they say that they’ve zapped a number of previous problems that they had in both areas with the updates. You’ll also find your Quattro’s now listed under Android BT settings as paired devices named GN. I found improved connectivity but since I only have an Android Pie device (Galaxy Note 8), I haven’t been able to enjoy direct connectivity yet. Good Luck!

Thanks for the instruction. I customize for myself. I have Noah. program and my hearing. Unfortunately, the update point in Smart 3D probably appears when registering the SmartFit program in GN and the new firmware is uploaded to HA.
And I don’t have that. But I do not despair. We will wait and see how events will develop.

Hi. Do you mean, that if the version of updated ha via Smart 3d is lower ( mine, for instance, has 10037.3700), ASHA will be disable? May be you know, is it depends on a version of Android available for the smartphone?

I experienced the requirement for the HA to be registered by an official provider myself as my audi forget to register one of my HA for Remote Assist. The other HA was connected to Remote Assist. Perhaps because of the connection of the one HA, Smart Fit 1.5 tried to download the .4300 firmware to the non-registered HA but the download bombed. As soon as the audi realized her mistake and registered the device, my phone delivered .4300 almost immediately to the previously unregistered HA. Part of the reason for ReSound wanting only a registered provider to sign you up for Remote Assist is that there is a two-part agreement you’re supposed to sign - memory bad here, but I think one part allows the HCP to do the remote-fine tuning. The other part allows ReSound to collect data remotely on your use of the HA’s and the app to improve their product line, etc.

I don’t really know if GETTING the firmware update requires the the latest Smart 3D version but it’s relative easy even if you have to go to an Internet cafe or a public facility with Wi-Fi to update the Smart 3D app and since the firmware is designed to work with v1.5, I would think it would pay to update the app. ASHA won’t work unless you also have the updated HA’s paired with a smartphone running Android 10 and the only phones that work so far, mentioned above, are newer versions of the Pixels (3’s and 4’s). But my BT connectivity to my Android Pie phone is definitely better since updating firmware and app. And, yes, if you have an Android 10 phone, you won’t get ASHA without the .4300 firmware update to your HA’s, according to ReSound. There’s a post from another forum member with a Pixel running Android 10 who personally confirmed ASHA connectivity arrived with the .4300 update.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer. Just a minute ago i’ve got 10043.4300. It’s strange, a week ago i got updates too, but not for the latest version :confused:.That was also because of registration in GN.

1 Like

How long did it take you to update HA up to 4300? I 've been waiting for 1,5 hours and it still write “please, wait”…
It seems to me, that it was a bad idea to upgrade my HA (resound quattro, left) via smart 3d up to 4300, while my phone has just Android 9. Now my HA reject connecting to smartphone, tommorow i’ll try to fix it by noahlink and resound smartfit. Hope that’ll help.

It took me only a few minutes to upgrade my HA to .4300. Is the single or pair of HA’s you’re trying to upgrade registered for ReSound Assist? I might not be remembering accurately but I think the Smart Fit app displayed a progress indicator while in the update was going on.

I’ve got just 1 left HA Resound Quattro. If I solve the problem, l’ll write, how it possible to overcome. Thank you for your answers.

1 Like

Write a must. My CAs are not registered. But my friend has an identical problem, like you. In the evening I will give her Noanlink …

jim_lewis
Can you take a screenshot in the menu where the firmware is indicated?

1 Like

Thanks everybody for the attention. I’ve understood the problem. Noone device with Bluetooth lower than 5.0 can connect to HA which updated up to 10043.4300. So, yesterday, my resound quattro was successfully updeted, but my smartphone with Bluetooth 4.2 was not able to appreciate it. I can’t send the first picture which appeared while i was waiting connection,but here is the last one.

I’ve tried the device with 5.0 bluetooth, the connection is perfect.

2 Likes

Thanks my friend))))

Can you please tell me make and model of your phone. Also are you able to stream, or can you only control settings. Thankyou

1 Like

If you follow the instructions in the previous post (GN Hearing first to support direct Android streaming using ASHA) and your provider has enabled Remote Assist, you’ll find it on the page revealed by tapping the tab the BLUE arrow is pointing to. As I said, if you’re connected to the Internet and your phone is connected to your HA’s via BT, you’ll see the firmware version when you tap on the line Hearing Aid Software Updates under Remote Assist. You won’t see Remote Assist or Hearing Aid Software Updates if your provider has not registered you and you haven’t agreed to OTA provisioning. I think if the provider had registered you, you would have discovered it by now. It’s not hiding in any way and if you haven’t seen it anywhere, not being registered is probably the reason. The firmware version in use is shown on the Hearing Aid Software Updates page accessed through the My ReSound page/tab.

Tap My Resound Tap Hearing Aid Software Updates
ReSound%20Smart%203D%20Interface238x481,75%

Xiaomi mi a2 lite, i can just control settings ( i have neither Android 10, not BTE 5).