Getting Oticon Deltas

After researching and meeting with the audiologist last week, I changed my mind about what I want from CICs to the Oticon Delta 8000s. Has anyone tried these? I just found out there are 3 lengths for the wire. The audiologist only seemed to have 2. The first one was too long, stuck out a bit and was noticeable. The 2nd one was much better as to how it laid flat to my head, but I’m wondering if it went deep enough into the ear canal. Time will tell. There is a 60 day guarantee, so I’ll have time to give it a good trial. I have ordered them with the standard earpiece. Does anyone have any experience with these, with any suggestions or recommendations? I have never had hearing aids before.

I have fit quite a few Delta’s. Very good hearing aids, comfortable, and can accomidate an 80db flat hearing loss if your hearing ever drops. If you have normal low frequency hearing then the right decision was made. CIC’s with normal lows is just asking for trouble. Your voice would have sounded like your in a bucket/barrel.

Don’t worry about the 3 lengths of tubing. Only one will fit you. If you don’t think the insertion depth is sufficient, your audiologist should know that they can take the longer #3 size tubing, heat it up with a hair dryer, and custom bend you a tube. :smiley:

Does anyone have a delta 6000? What do you think about this aid? Inow am wearing just 1 aid that is a half shell and they are saying I need the other one for my right ear and I understand that, but they are also saying that by wearing 2 half shells (seimans) I will fill like I am in a tunnel and the delta 6000 is better :confused: help.

thanks
srb

Hi,

I tried the delta 8000’s before deciding on the Unitron Element 16.

I really liked the Deltas ( for me superior sound) But I didn’t like the
cost or the fact that the speaker is in your ear and would need to be
replaced some time ( ear wax is the issue here )

As far as the 6000’s vs 8000’s I was told the 6000’s were the same as
the 8000"s except the 8000 had more channels. That also applies to
the Element 8 vs the 16 the price was only 300 more for the 16’s

I thought why not have the most channels available for a little more
cost.

Tom

Thanks for your reply. I am new to hearing aids and don’t understand what you mean about what element 8 is? vs the 16 price. I was told the delta 6000 would cost me $3,200 or $3,400 for both ears, is that to much? and the 8000 is about $4,500. What does the cic in the forum mean :confused:
thanks again,
srb

Sorry Model Element 8 has 8 Channels Of Data/sound

Model Element 16 Has 16 Channels Of Data/sound

I Was Told The Same Was True For The Delta’s 6000/8000

Tom

Ps I paid $3100 for the pair of Unitron Element 16’s

I was quoted $4000 pair for the Delta 8000's 

Pss I live in Minnesota, where I believe the Delta’s and the Unitrons are made so that might make a difference

More channels are nice, but there is a cut off point where the human ear simply cannot tell the difference. Also some companies brag about having lots of channels, but when you adjust one channel three others move at the same time. The key to quality is whether these channels are truly independent. I’d rather have 8 fully independent channels than 12 non-independent.

There is a lot more to hearing aid sound quality than simply the number of channels. You should always bear that in mind. Even the most thorough hearing test only checks 8-10 different frequencies.

Does anyone know if there is Really a difference between the Delta 6000 that I am now trying for 2 weeks and the Delta 8000. I know that there is a $1,800 difference on price. Is it worth it???

There are some subtle differences, which would primarily be noticeable for someone in many varying environments daily.

Yet, for someone wearing them, for example to just watch TV, I believe there would be no difference.

The more channels the feedback cancellation, noise reduction and the better the directional microphone systems work slightly better.

But if you are already doing well with the 6000, then no sense in changing to the 8000.

Thanks you are wonderful and I am very happy I found this site and have someone like you to talk to.

Admin.

I am a retired Electronics Engineer with Ski slope hearing loss and need to replace a pair of damaged Resound Air 60’s that worked well for me. The Resound Air 60 has only 3 warp bands (the design must be about 5 years old) whereas the new Resound Dot 6000 has 17 bands.

Is the increase from 3 to 17 bands significant ? There have been occasions where my Audiologist could not raise the gain in a part of the 2-to - 4Khz spectum because it would then be too loud in an adjacent part of the spectum. This would argue for more bands.
It seems also possible that the noise reduction circuits might be more effective (like Dolby Noise Reduction) by having the capability of lowering gain in those noisy small parts of the total spectrum with little speech energy. Perhaps there are similar advantage for compression.

Also it seems the number of bands usually well exceeds the number of handles used for fitting, and it is appears that groups of bands are connected together for control by each handle. Do you know why this design approach is used other than for simplification for the Audiologist? Your ideas on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks
OE

I have fit many Deltas (mostly 6000 and 8000), and I have also had several patients who tried both models. Some of them could tell a definite difference between the two, and some couldn’t. Besides the difference in channels, the directional capability and noise reduction is more advanced in the 8000. Ideally, your audiologist can let you try both models for a few days to see which is better for you.

for my money

i would wait for vigo to show up, and get them rite…

it will outperform (all other oticon products Delta, sincro ,etc)

So I would expect a lot of people buying this…

Hopefully, this would also trigger other manuf… to have new mid price

instruments with trully advance features…

I think @ last we got a mid price instrument from oticon with datalogging…

Already, Unitron had anouce a new mid price instrument…