Getting new Oticon OPN hearing aids early December

I don’t remember if you’re a DIY type or not, or whether you’ve downloaded the Genie 2 software to your Windows PC or not. Even if you don’t plan to be DIY programming and buy the hardware interface, I think it’s still beneficial to download the Genie 2 software and browse through it to get an idea of what all the programming options and features are so that when you’re at the audi’s office, you’ll know better what you want and what’s involved and what the audi will do/should do or what you want the audi to do for you exactly.

It’s free to download anyway, and since you’re the type who seems to want to do his homework and preparation thoroughly (as evident through this thread), i thought I’d mention this. But if you’ve already done all that then my apology.

Before I got a n the VA System to get my aids I looked at DIY but I haven’t had issues with the VA Audis fitting my aids so I just leave the adjustment to them

It’s so nice to read that you actually like your aids. I am thinking about trialing a pr. of OPN’s. What hearing aids did you have before. How do they compare? May I ask what your speech discrimination is? I guess what I’m asking is do you have trouble understanding speech?
Thanks!

I have the Oticon Alta Pros ITE and they have been very good. Before that Oticon Duals BTE rites they were good for the time period they were made. Before those two pairs of not so great aids but ok for the time period. But I have learned a lot about my hearing issues as well as hearing aids which as let me to be able to ask the better questions and ask for what I need.

I love them. I had Oticon Spirit Synergy BTE Power hearing aids supplied by the NHS (I’m in the UK). My Opns give me far more clarity with regards to speech especially in noisy situations, this is where they really come into their own. Noise no longer bothers me. I can follow group conversations with ease and actually be involved, whereas with my NHS hearing aids, they would just focus on what is in front of me and the background would just be noise.

As you may be aware, the Opns separate sounds, so instead of noise, it clarifies the sound and it’s up to you to decide whether to focus on that or not. Quite a few sounds I have heard, I have never heard it in that way. That natural way instead of the amplified way.

They are brilliant compared to my NHS ones. There is some minor tweaking to do with regards to hearing people when I’m driving and on the phone at work, but I’m so pleased with them and the direct streaming with my iPhone is even better! I had to use the Streamer Pro before.

The volume on the TV isn’t as loud now either! Instead of being at 50, it’s now at 35. So that’s much better!

My speech discrimination is 63.3% hearing monosyllabic words without context with my eyes closed, this was when I had my NHS hearing aids so my understanding of speech is not bad considering my hearing loss. I haven’t had it tested since I got my Opns, but I reckon it’s now increased ten fold :grin:

If you get them, just be prepared to be wowed. It’s so amazing to hear the birds and even hear my cat lick her lips! :rofl:

Best of luck!!

Tori,
Thank you for your uplifting email. I really need to hear positive information like this. Sometimes I think my negative thoughts about the whole hearing loss thing makes my hearing worse!
I don’t know much at all about the OPN’s, but from what you’re describing, they sound wonderful! I sure hope to be able to tell someone the same kind of good news someday in the future.

My discrimination is 72% in my left ear and 56% in my right. Not so good huh? Do you think I could do well with the OPN’s with this type of discrimination?
Thanks,
Jan

My score was worse than yours so think you’ll do well with them especially as you have better discrimination with your left ear. I don’t think about the scores etc nor focus much on my audiogram. My hearing is bad but actually doesn’t reflect how I cope. People don’t realise I am deaf most of the time as I speak so well.

Definitely go into Oticon’s website and read up more about them. The more you read about how they work compared to other hearing aids, the more you will understand how you will hear with them. It’s down to you as to what you want to hear. They use an open navigation platform, so basically you hear all sounds around you, especially speech and you choose what to focus on. Also, search for posts on here by @Volusiano. They are a wealth of knowledge about these fabulous aids.

I was originally apprehensive because I had worn traditional hearing aids with a microphone only picking up sounds directly in front of me for many, many years so wasn’t sure how I would fare hearing sounds from all around me but actually I adapted really quickly and love actually hearing sounds around me. It has really good noise compression in noisy environments so I can pick up speech with such clarity like never before.

It isn’t for everyone, but they are worth trying for sure and remember, there are other hearing aids out there such as Resound if you don’t get on with them :+1:t2:

Thank you for your responses, I sure hope I get as good a results from my aids as you. My speech understanding is very poor in my right ear but fairly good in my left. And with my Oticon Alta Pros I always have issues with not hearing sounds around me. It is like having blinders on that keeps me from hearing anything but right in front of me. I keep my aids in the music program most of the time, it helps but not that much.

You’ll find the Opns much more ‘open.’ It’s so weird hearing something in one ear but then something else like speech in the other. It’s basically hearing normally. Like you, my previous hearing aids were like having blinders on. No longer! :hugs:

You know what my wife is looking forward to the most. Me not wearing the streamer around my neck

I’m 2 weeks with my new OPN 1’s, they are my first HA’s. I really love being able to hear everything, I’ve lived with hearing loss for so long I’m at least glad now that I’ve decided to have aids that I got OPN 1’s. I went back this week for my 2 week visit to tweak program P1, much better with the last adjustments. I go back in another 2 weeks for to tell my Audi my results on the changes. Overall I love the OPN 1’s.

This answer came this evening from a member of my men’s group at church I knew he has been wearing the Oticon OPN Rites for almost a year and he explained to me what he had been told by his Audi at a different VA clinic.
Basically the concept is to present to the hearing aid wearer all of the useable sounds and even noise at manageable levels, then allow the brain to sort out what it needs and wants to hear. He said that even with him wearing aids for many years that it took him almost 3 months to get use to the OPN1s.
And he told me to just be patient and get whatever adjustments done that I needed.
He also told me that he no longer uses any other program other than the default and the tinnitus.

You mean from this question? :slight_smile:

I have been looking for an answer to my question about what I should expect seeing the OPNs are different concept from what I have been wearing.

The implementation may be different and improved, but the open / brain hearing concept is not new. It was there with the Alta2 Pro.

I have the first Alta Pros not the 2s

The Alta2 pro was., according to Oticon, their 2nd generation brain hearing device. That would make the Alta the first

My Alta Pros have never given me the feeling that I can hear from the back of me or even the sides. Now if I go to my music program I can to a point hear some sounds areound me. But I have always with what ever hear aids I have had feel like I have blinders on.
And some days I can hear better than others, I am sure it is due to stress levels, and how tired I am, a long with my sinus and allergie issues.
I live in a beautiful Natural Forest and love to hike and fish, and would love to hear the birds and the natural sounds of the area much better than I can now.

I don’t know if the Speech Rescue frequency lowering technology had existed back it the Alta Pro days yet but from what I can tell, it’s not a brand new Oticon technology just introduced with the OPN. So maybe it’s been around and maybe you’ve tried it.

In looking at your hearing aid profile, your loss drops off at 2khz and up already, so while this suggests that frequency lowering may not help because the destination area for the lowered frequencies can only go down to the 1.5 to 2khz range, I’m thinking it still wouldn’t hurt to try it out anyway when you get the OPN because one thing about the Speech Rescue technology that’s different from other similar technology is that it’s “additive”.

This means that you can choose to preserve the original amplified sounds while also have the lowered sounds added to your output. I’m hoping that this additive effect may help you hear the high frequency sounds more compared to hearing just the amplified sounds without the lowered sounds.

Anyway, this is in response to your mentioning that you’d like to hear more nature sounds while you’re outdoors. So I thought it’d be something worth trying out to help make the high sounds more audible for you. There’s nothing to lose to try it out since the technology is already there.

When I go Monday early afternoon I will be asking a lot of questions and giving my feelings about what I am hoping to hear. But my most important thing is to understand as much speech as possible. But I can hope for a lot more