Generic Hearing Aid Accessories and Devices

Now that Bellman looks very interesting too!
Thanks for pointing it out.

“… when I unplug the Clipper (or any other Bluetooth receiver) from my headphones and instead plug them into my ReSound Mike, then the sound DOES go DIRECTLY into my hearing aids. It is just not a high quality sound but it is an adequate sound for speech.”

Update: One other point which you may find interesting. When the voice audio arrives at the Clipper receiver it is lip-sync’d (due to aptX); when the Clipper’s audio is inserted into the ReSound mike it is still lip-sync’d; and when it is heard in my hearing aids the voice audio still appears to be lip-sync’d, and although no longer stereo it still is of reasonable listening quality.

So I really don’t consider this to be an idle exercise, and anyone still using previous generation and/or non-iPhone HAs which they are otherwise still satisfied with can use this method to enjoy individually volume-controlled movies, lip-sync’d movies in their home even without headphones and without disturbing others present.

And it also appears to work with my cell-phone without aptX but where lip-syncing is irrelevant absent video calling exceptions.

Voila “Generic Hearing Aid Accessories” available to all. :slight_smile:

But…but…but…your Resound Mic is NOT generic. You can take whatever audio source you like and however it’s delivered to your Resound Mic…that last mile to the HA’s is proprietary.
Or use mfi.

Z, my friend … You are entitled to create a narrower definition of “Generic Hearing Aid Accessories” if you want to, but that’s not my definition.

My definition is a bit broader, to-wit: If you can take the existing available hardware for the hearing aids in your ears, and can add readily available inexpensive generic hardware to the mix which extends the usability and/or enhances the function of those hearing aids, then what you have added are “generic hearing aid accessories.”

Respectfully,
Nate :slight_smile:

I’m with you on your definition up until getting stereo audio into the HA’s themselves.
My definition (and of course this is your thread :slight_smile: ) of generic would be all the wide assortment and myriad options of getting audio from a source to an output. Generic-icity (word? :slight_smile: ) is lost at the point that the output would then need to connect somehow to the HA (mfi) or the proprietary accessory to pass on up to the HA.
I would NOT define your Resound Mic as generic. It is proprietary to Resound. But hey it’s your thread :slight_smile: All the way to that point I’m with you and your definition.

Totally agree. I understand @NateS thought process as well, we should be able to do things using generic devices rather than high cost HA proprietary items.

6 months ago, I was doing my research because I needed new aids after one of mine died. I quickly came to the realization that all the new Bluetooth stuff was not quite ready for prime time or worth the current premiums. I chose to try the low cost route of doing a trial with the Phonaks from Costco and a few connecting accessories.
Logic said that I should be able to get 3 years out of these while all the Bluetooth stuff catches up and hopefully starts playing nicely with each other. If not, I might be able to squeak another year or two more out of them.The technology has come a long way in a short period of time and I expect it to keep going that way for a while.
Sooner or later we will all pay the premium to have everything just work well together.

I would like to share my experience with a simple device allowing me to hear and enjoy the birds singing in our backyard. It does not involve my HAs directly, except for the fact that the recent adjustments made by CostCo, boosting my high frequencies, has enabled me to enjoy those sounds when I am outside in the backyard.

But I wanted to also be able to hear those birds singing inside our home, with the doors closed and the air conditioning or furnace on.

Originally, I came up with all sorts of proposed solutions, some of which were cheap but very time-consuming to set up running wire and drilling through walls, while others were ready-made but relatively expensive.

Finally, I took a $40 (there are cheaper ones that would probably work too) pre-linked baby monitor and parent receiver, the small units you can hold in the palm of your hand, and put the little baby monitor outside and the little parent unit on a living room table, and voila! Our living room is filled with the sounds of birds visiting our bird feeders out in the backyard.

There is no work to link/pair the units - it’s all automatic and it cost peanuts. If your adult kids are parents, they could probably give you theirs that are sitting in a drawer unused since their kids are no longer babies. Otherwise, Amazon is open for your business. LOL!

Best wishes, Nate :smiley:

Dang Nate! I hope that thing has a mute feature. My neighbor put in a bird feeder and every time I walk outside i am assaulted by the incessant bird chatter. Though, occasionally a Merlin Falcon shows up to remedy the situation;