Generic Hearing Aid Accessories and Devices

That would be no doubt then :slight_smile:
Oh well.
If you have made for iphone HA’s and you have an iphone that would be of interest as well. I seem to think they might be A2DP but I’m not sure. Don’t they boast of stereo streaming?

z, I have KS5s and an Android phone. I am engaging in conjecture and experimentation, together with the rest of you here on this thread, as to whether hearing aid users who are generally satisfied with their existing, older hearing aids, might nevertheless find a way to add bluetooth communication by using relatively inexpensive generic bluetooth receivers and/or transmitters of the type available through vendors like Amazon, etc.

So far, I have shared with you here on this thread the success I have had finding a simple and inexpensive way to stream low latency no lag stereo sound from the TV via aptX bluetooth to a hearing aid user willing to place soft cushioned headphones over his/her ears without bothering to remove their hearing aids; or to send non-sync’d mono sound from the TV directly into their hearing aids without adding headphones.

The next step would be to see if a similar result could be achieved for those with older working hearing aids who would like to add an ongoing bluetooth connection between their cell phone and their hearing aids. I am hoping to encourage you and others here to try to contribute their ingenuity and/or experimentation to that quest.

PS - There are many brands of low cost bluetooth equipment available, I chose Avantree, although they are a little bit more expensive, because of the wide range of options and solutions they offer, depending on the personality, skills and patience of their user, and their pioneering efforts in aptX. For example, they offer a set consisting of a Tx and Rx with “locked” pairing, or ones in which their pairing steps are clearly audible, or a receiver which adapts your existing headphones to low latency, or a set which includes a brand new aptX cushioned headphone, etc. etc. There are other good brands as well.

The Oticon Connectclip 3 does not support AptX. I got this confirmed by Oticon. I don’t know about other brands. You need AptX support at both ends of the connection to get AptX. Having said that, I tried the Connectclip with the Avantree Saturn Pro and the lip-sync wasn’t too bad. I’m waiting for a part to arrive to be able to test for when audio is coming through speakers as well. Without low latency that generally sounds pretty awful.

I’m waiting on a crowd-funded device (repeatedly delayed) called a Snowowl. It’s supposed to do many things, but one of them is act as an AptX Bluetooth transmitter. The difference is that it will allow you to enter your audiogram into the device, so you get at least some equalisation. I do have some quite nice headphones that do support AptX, so that might be a good combination for me. I don’t think it will be happening any time soon however.

NateS: I’m aware of your quest. The problem is proprietary or open technology. The made for iphone solution uses proprietary technology. The HA’s have to be able to accept iphone connections. If they don’t then the only way to get stereo to HA’s is via an intermediate device from the factory (HA manufacturer). Not aftermarket streamers. Past that then anything that that factory streamer can accept should work. That could be open standard A2DP (assuming the factory device accepts A2DP) bluetooth or a cable from any audio source.
Other factory devices like your Mic are mono input only (as you found documented and I don’t know about all the other factory external mic’s) and one mic is always mono. I don’t know if they copy the sound to both HA’s. Or if one Mic connects to one HA and another one to the other HA. Which I also seem to recall you have multiple Mic’s. Telecoils are also mono only.
These Mic’s and factory streamer devices use yet another proprietary transmission method to get to the HA’s.
Your headphone idea can be done in any number of solutions currently available that use standard bluetooth with A2DP. But I’m not sure you’re hearing the headphones naturally or through the mic’s on the HA’s.

The only HA (that I know of) that can receive cellphone audio from a non-iphone/non-factory device is the Phonak B Direct or some such name. But it’s one side. And uses standard bluetooth (sucks battery). And it doesn’t stream music audio. Almost there.

Hey @d_Wooluf did you mean Connect Clip or the TV Adapter 3? I tried to get codec specs from Oticon but they didn’t share much. I agree that the Connect Clip audio quality has been lacking compared to the TV Adapter 3, which leads to my suspecting that Connect Clip does not support AptX. I wonder if the TV Adapter 3 does support AptX though due to the greater audio clarity

Connect Clip. They wouldn’t reply to me directly but they did eventually give an answer through Cliff, the Youtube reviewer with Hearing Tracker. It’s possible that the TV adapter might license some AptX technology from Qualcomm. There’s no way of knowing because everything that is streamed to your aids is in a proprietary format. I guess there’s one less stage of decoding-encoding with the TV streamer, so maybe not a surprise that the sound might be better.

Just to clarify, the clip I am using is the Avantree aptX LOW LATENCY Bluetooth 4.2 Adapter for Headphones, Speakers, Car with Mic, Clip, Voice Prompt, 3.5mm Wireless Audio Receiver for Handsfree Call and Music - Clipper Pro [Upgrade Version] at

I don’t think that there is any doubt that it supports aptX and as far as I can tell, the lip syncing is excellent.

It supports AptX but does your hearing aid? With my Avantree, the light blinks in a specific pattern when it is connected with AptX. There’s probably something similar with your unit. If you’re getting good results I don’t suppose it really matters.

Not sure I know what you mean. My hearing aids are not part of the transmission. The Clipper converts the headphones to aptX and I consider myself listening through the headphones the same way I would listen to ambient sound. I have open domes. Maybe it would be a problem with closed domes or molds but in that case I would just take my hearing aids out before putting my headphones on.

It’s like a conversation. The transmitter and your hearing aids have to speak the same language. If they don’t both speak AptX, transmission will fall back to some other standard, typically SBC. The transmitter will not send AptX in isolation, because the protocol has to be agreed first between the transmitter and the receiver.

I understand that, but I am not using the hearing aids to hear the sounds. I am using my headphones with the Clipper which converts the headphones to aptX. The headphones are the receiver not my hearing aids. (As a matter of fact, Avantree also sells aptX headphones, so I think it would be unlikely that they would make this claim for their Clipper if they were not confident that it successfully converts their competitors’ brands of non-aptX headphones into aptX headphones.)

The role my hearing aids play in this process is no different than if I was listening to the sound coming our of my stereo system from across the room.

Respectfully,
Nate

So that answers my wondering. You’re listening from the headphones naturally…not via the HA’s. The HA’s aren’t in the picture. So really…you’re not talking about an HA accessory per your thread title. (no I’m not saying you’re off-topic…it’s your topic)

LOL! :rofl:
Exactly! It’s no different than if I had taken the hearing aids out of my ears.
On the other hand, the example I gave of removing the Clipper Pro from the headphones and instead plugging it into one of my ReSound Mikes, in that case I am transmitting the flattened version of the sound into my hearing aids. Once it leaves the Clipper Pro and goes into the ReSound Mike it is no longer aptX and no longer stereo.

Yes I understand the Mic limitations.
I guess what I’m noticing is that what you seem to be wanting to talk about are all the ways to play stereo audio and transmit it somehow wirelessly or however all the way up to the point of getting that stereo audio to the HA’s (or maybe could be thought of as “the last mile”).
It’s there that it all stops cold. Only made for iphone devices (iphone, ipod, ipad) can directly connect stereo audio to HA’s that also have made for iphone technology in them.
Those made for iphone HA’s can also take stereo audio connections from factory intermediate devices as can most of the other HA’s that don’t have any made for iphone technology. Those intermediate devices have more options for receiving stereo audio like full bluetooth or cable.
So like I said, you seem to be exploring all the ways to get stereo audio to your ears and not necessarily using HA’s. Which is fine. But I wouldn’t call those specifically hearing aid accessories. That’s how I got all side-tracked into wondering what you had and testing it to see what it could do and all this blathering about getting stereo to HA’s. I can’t help but think you might possibly be confusing terms. Or of course I am :slight_smile:

I would also be interested in reading about other clips and streamer devices that CAN get stereo to the HA’s but I would expect they’re proprietary from those manufacturers. Not generic as per the thread title.

So like I said, you seem to be exploring all the ways to get stereo audio to your ears and not necessarily using HA’s. Which is fine. But I wouldn’t call those specifically hearing aid accessories.

I think you are giving up too soon.

z, when I unplug the Clipper (or any other Bluetooth receiver) from my headphones and instead plug them into my ReSound Mike, then the sound DOES go DIRECTLY into my hearing aids. It is just not a high quality sound but it is an adequate sound for speech.

Find an inexpensive generic device to replace the ReSound United Mike transmitter and then you would be listening to the sound IN your hearing aids - voila a “Generic Hearing Aid Accessory.”

It seems to me that someone with the training of an audio engineer with be able to identify and replicate, on the fly, the parameters of the audio being transmitted by each brand of auxiliary microphone.

In fact, I believe there already is both software and hardware on the market which can do this on the fly.

Nate

We seem to be talking past each other. Of course what your saying would indeed be your thread title. BUT…
There are no generic aftermarket devices that have the ability to use the proprietary method that each of these HA companies individually use for their specific proprietary intermediate devices to connect to their HA’s proprietarily.
I wouldn’t limit your wishes to just an external mic. Why not also the streamer device that can be used to control a smartphone and also receive stereo audio and play it up to the HA’s. They don’t exist. Just the proprietary manufacturer ones exist.

Aftermarket telecoil ones exist but they’re mono.

Only iphone/ipad/ipod with the secret sauce can send stereo audio to made for iphone HA’s without an intermediate device.

Please do enlighten us all on what those software and hardware items are that you mention. I know I don’t know of any.

Or…I’m completely wrong. :slight_smile:

But there is no inexpensive generic device, is there? That’s the problem. It’s all proprietary. That’s why we’re all waiting for Bluetooth 5 hearing aid and general audio standards. Everything becomes generic.

And would probably be slapped with injunctions within about 5 seconds. To be honest, I’m not really sure what you’re saying here. Are you saying that someone could/should develop an all-purpose intermediate device… anyway, just saw z10user2’s reply. I’ll just sit back and watch!

Remember the threat to use all of Apple’s resources to sue and shut down Android as “stolen technology”?

It never happened.

I thought we were all in this together to find a solution.

It’s all right - you are all still my buddies. sniff sob wiping tears from my cheeks. :disappointed_relieved:

No, really. I hate to discourage initiative. You make it, I’ll buy it. Unless Bluetooth 5 audio gets here first. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sure…we’re all in this together…and we’ll all rejoice when the bluetooth le audio standards come out and manufacturers adopt it and then we all run out and get the latest smartphone that has that new standard in it (because we hate Apple that much :slight_smile: ). There was excitement from many when Phonak brought out their made for anything HA. Great. Keep it going. Stereo please. Others want phone audio copied to the other side please.

Until then…we wait…with tears…as we grumble at those smug smarmy kool-aid drinking iphone users cooly using their iphones to play stereo audio in their HA’s. The b@$t@rd$. :slight_smile: