Fyi Cisco IP Phone with iCom

Hi,
I have excelias with the iCom for my bluetooth set up. I have moved house recently and our IT advisor set up a VOIP telephone system for us. I ordered a Cisco IP phone SPA 525G phone as it has bluetooth capability but was nervous it might not work and no one had previous experience with it here in New Zealand.
The usual disclaimers that I have no affiliation with the company but am so pleased it installed and works well with the iCom. I can pick up incoming call just as I would with my mobile and am very happy.
Just wanted to post so if someone else is looking at VOIP phones they will have at least one review.

Wow, that is some good info. Thanks for letting us know. How expensive was the phone?

I see they are about 300 USD on Amazon. It is expensive here in NZ but may save me in the long run being with a cheaper provider and then of course there is no easy value to place on me being comfortable talking on the phone :slight_smile:

I just got installed voip phone system at home for my internet work and things getting little easier for me, now I can talk to my clients on high speed connection and it save time too. Thanks for sharing article here.

This thread started about a Bluetooth desk phone for Cisco’s small business phone system.

Cisco also now has Bluetooth phone models available for their large business system too. I briefly tested one with an iCom on a conference call and it worked quite well.

I am looking for using a SIP computer phone as the audio input into ACPs Business VoIP, but Connect doesn’t seems to be picking up the audio. I read the post referenced from last fall, but I wanted to know if the SIP > VoIP Phone integration has been released or is slated for release as part of 7.5 or 8.0.

I do not understand the question. SIP is an open standard VoIP protocol. Are you asking about Cisco moving from their SCCP/Skinny protocols to SIP? I believe that there is SIP support in their recent releases and in some of their phones.

I may be able to check with our Voice engineers next week when I return to the office is more information is needed. Your Cisco SE may be able to help too.

I work for a Tech Support center, and my work just purchased the aforementioned phone, 525G. It DID pair with my iCom and my Phonak Hearing Aids (Phonak Ambra MH20 BTE). My problem that I am having, is that even though I can hear everyone MUCH MUCH better on the phone, the listener on the OTHER end all they hear is background noise. The microphone on the iCom is focusing more on background noise(surrounding co-workers/noises/environment) than foreground (My voice). After several complaints from customers, my co-workers and I did a test in a controlled environment. Coworkers put me on speaker, and we could hear my fingers snapping on his phone better than with the speakerphone off. So…anyone who’s used this phone, did you have to have it configured at your Audiologist with your iCom device? My worry is that because my Audiologist at the VA doesn’t have an SIP phone area, that they will not be able to properly program this device with my iCom. It should be noted that when I am paired to my cell phone, it works perfectly, but when paired to my Cisco 525g SIP phone…it doesn’t work properly. Would appreciate any tips or settings that could help… Thank you!

I am an IPT Solutions Architect and have designed and set up many VoIP systems throughout the U.S. Midwest. My own system is a Cisco Communications Manager with a Bluetooth enabled phone, iPhone, iCom and Ambra H2O aids. I use the system daily with fantastic results. To clarify; in order to use the Cisco phones with the Bluetooth environment, you must first have a VoIP system that supports any of the Cisco phones - Small Business or Enterprise. You can not simply add a Cisco phone to a standard telecommunications system. There are Bluetooth enabled standard phones that you can use. I only bring this up to insure that someone simply goes onto eBay and buys one of the Cisco, Avaya or Mitel enabled Bluetooth phones and expects it to work in their environment. If your business or home system is VoIP enabled, then there are several options available. I’ve worked with my Audiologist to improve the Bluetooth telephone stream and have found that I need to REALLY turn down the HA microphones when using the iCom. This reduces or eliminates the background noise presented to the callee. I’ve also had the audi increase the bass frequency response and turn up the volume of the “stream” presented to my aids. This gives a more natural voice from the caller. To the question regarding the “increased background noise” when on the Cisco phone vs. a mobile call, it could be simply a setting in the VoIP system phone which is presenting High Def. Audio which sends a MUCH wider frequency band in both incoming and outgoing calls. I’ve not run into this but I have had to increase the VoIP system’s overall volume to send a “hot” enough signal to hear the caller in a noisy environment. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to clarify some of the issued discussed in this thread.

Thanks, for this information!. We are using a VoIP environment, using ethernet SIP phones. The Cisco phone DOES work in our work environment, but the main problem was that I was unable to find any internal audio settings in the 525g. I even tunnelled into its webOS to try to find settings, but they were lacking in the audio control settings. I have 3 options, Handsfree, headset, both. I’ve experienced both and handsfree, both giving the callee a extreme noise background. I can hear perfectly fine through my aids, but my iCOM is picking EVERYTHING up, its like its capture is set to 360 when all i need is 15 degrees (Inside my shirt). my HL is on the mid-High ranges, i stil have 20-25 on bass frequencies. Do you know if the Audiologist would be able to configure this phone without having a SIP/VOIP system? The Department of Veterans does not support this setup. I appreciate your response, i actually created another thread so that it would get more attention in the main forum. I use a DroidX withy my h2o’s and have had no complaints from my callers regarding those issues, and I’ve had no issues with people on Skype. These results led me to the logical conclusion it was an internal setting in the phone, but I have no option to configure them.

I expect most of the Cisco phone settings are expected to be set through Cisco Call Manager. If you are using some other SIP system, perhaps there are some settings there. Your VoIP support team may be able to assist further.

I assume that you mean the IP address to the WebOS of the phone when you refer to Call manager. I basically was given the phone, and from there have been experimenting with it while at work. If you refer to Call manager as the web portal to the phone, then yes, I have looked into that, but did not see any obvious signs/indicators of volume control in there.

No, Cisco Call Manager is the server software of Cisco’s VoIP system.