Frustrating experience at vet clinic

Friday I had to take my 17 year old dog Tasha in to the vet for her final visit.

I know the exam rooms at this clinic tend to have a bit of echo. Even though these are small rooms, there is nothing to absorb sound, so it bounces around.

The vet tech helping me initial was a young woman with a high, soft voice. I explained I wear hearing aids, but I still don’t hear well, so please speak loudly. At the end of the initial intake, we were both frustrated. I was a bit angry, she was clearly lost as to what to do. I’d had to ask her to speak louder and repeat Every. Single. Sentence. I don’t think - actually, I am sure she had any idea how to project her voice.

Once the vet came in, male, I had no problem. He brought a different tech in with him, her voice was a lower register, and she spoke loudly and clearly. I had no problem with her, either.

This made an already difficult situation much worse. I’m not sure what else I could have done. Perhaps I should have requested that she - the initial tech - send in someone else.

Photo of my girl Tasha, bichon frise’ is from April of this year.

6 Likes

So sorry for your loss. My old man (14 yo Boston Terrier) seems to be suffering from renal failure. We go to the vet tomorrow to start tests. I know the day will come. Trying to put it off. I try to make every day count. Peace and comfort to you as you grieve Tasha.

WH

6 Likes

Read your post, and wish to respond.
I’ve recently improved my word recognition with soft voices a little using myPhonak App. I adjusted Compression using it. I hope to make more improvements with next visit to my audi.

More importantly, here’s a link to “Rainbow Bridge” When my dear Morgan, Golden Retriever, passed away, I notified the City License authority. They sent me this program, and reading it brought me to tears.

Yet it was so reassuring.

DaveL

4 Likes

I hope you’re okay.

Here’s my Hetty. She passed away after breaking her spine. She was 14 years old. Very nearly 15 years old.

I broke my spine in the September and she broke her spine in the December.

I was in hospital recovering from mine still but the family member looking after her, couldn’t have prevented it.

I love this saying. :arrow_down: It’s so very true. :heart:

4 Likes

@WhiteHat @Freedom : we have a 20-year old cat who just suffered her third stroke last week. And we have also, among others, a 12-year-old Newfoundland dog who was sadly neglected and whose medical needs were being ignored. We took him in to look after him …

My heart goes out to all of you who treat their furbabies as family. Peace …

3 Likes

Many thanks for the condolences. I volunteered in Rescue for years. First with TNR helping feral cats, taking in kittens that were trapped. Then as a foster mom with Small Paws Rescue, the largest bichon frise’ breed rescue in USA. I failed fostering many times over. I have been through this final stage 19 times, now. I still have 4 cats (youngest age 16), and 3 dogs (ages 13, at least 12, and 8) here, so I will go through this more. It is NEVER easy.

@DaveL I am very familiar with the Rainbow Bridge story, and support group. Thank you for posting it here, seems it will benefit others. There is also a version of the Rainbow Bridge poem for 9/11, quite touching.

I should have said, my hearing aids are KS9s. I do not own a cell phone (all my money goes to pets!). I know the person at Costco did do a compression adjustment for high tones.

Sending hugs to all those with senior pets, those who have lost pets. And to those who have young pets just now: enjoy them!

7 Likes

I run into this all the time. Some people excell and are super helpful and understanding. Other couldn’t give a rats ass and it’s like you’re talking to a wall. You can’t fix stupid.

7 Likes

My heart goes out to you @Freedom… Toughest, and hardest thing I have ever done in my lifetime, occasionally still haunts me, as they are family, but you have to do what is right…. Over the years, on several occasions, I had to do what was the last thing that I wanted to do, but you do it out of love, you know your friend is suffering… Never an easy option, be strong…. Peace be with you.

6 Likes

@kevels55: What a lovely, touching post, Kev. Peace be on you and Elspeth, also.

5 Likes

Thank you Jim for the very kind words, they are much appreciated… They brought a tear to my eye. Peace to you and Karen :+1: I chant a couple of mantras every night without fail, just before bed, one is in English the other is in Japanese… My whole ethos is peace, and understanding, not always easy… I love animals, and it is so very hard to let them go… In fact, I probably prefer animals to humans, if truth be told…

God grant me serenity to except the things I cannot change
Courage to change the things I can
And wisdom to know the difference…

Cho Ku Rei

Cho Ku Rei

Cho Ku Rei

Sei He Ki

Sei He Ki

Sei He Ki

Hon Sha Ze Sho Nen

Hon Sha Ze Sho Nen

Hon Sha Ze Sho Nen

Cho Ku Rei

Cho Ku Rei

Cho Ku Rei

4 Likes

Recently had to send my Willow girl to the Rainbow Bridge because of canine kidney disease. Prayers to you all and hoping the good memories help with your loss.

4 Likes

My condolences @mr.smithster . Willow looks such a sweet dog. Never easy, losing a family member.

3 Likes

We had a wonderful holistic vet for 35 years. She was a DVM who rescued horses. Sure miss her!
We had Winston (10-1/2), Bentley (11-1/2), Quin (14), Sir Charlot (16-1/2). Morgan just passed. (10) All Golden Retrievers.

I believe that just as a dog year is 7 human years, they love 7 times as much. But when things happen, they happen 7 times as fast. Morgan passed at home, with a vet there but without innoculation. I thought she would outlive me.

That’s why I posted Rainbow Bridge above.

DaveL
Toronto

3 Likes

So sorry. Waiting on labwork for Mr Jack Jack.

WH

Never saw a dog love grass like this guy.

4 Likes

Sending Mr Jack Jack healthy labwork vibes…

One of the few faults of a loved dog or cat is that they never live long enough

2 Likes

Thank you, very nice of you

2 Likes

That sounds so frustrating, and familiar. So sorry for your loss!

2 Likes

I’m so sorry it was Tasha’s time to go. It’s always heartbreaking. I’ve had to make that decision many times over the years. In fact the only other board like this I belong to is feline diabetes message board. I’ve had three diabetic cats.

Here are my only suggestions on what to do in this situation.

Yes, ask to speak to someone else. Say something like “I’m sorry but I really can’t understand you. Could you please have someone else come in to talk to me.”

Ask if she has a cell phone. Have her type what she’s wants to say. I just flew and told the stewardess I would be unable to hear important announcements and she did this for me. Very helpful.

2 Likes

Having a dog will bless you with many of the happiest days of your life, and one of the worst. - Anon

1 Like

Boston Terrier?, but might be French Bulldog as far as I know. My family had several Bostons over the years. Take care.

1 Like