Frequency of BIOS Beep Code For Computers - Can't Hear the Darn Beeps Without My HA's!

Don’t see that anyone has ever posted on this - so, oh, boy!, I can be the first.

I got a new computer and since I wanted a very powerful one, I got a desktop, which might have a better sound system than any of my previous laptops.

What I’ve never noticed or remember with my previous laptops is that when I turn this computer on, as soon as I press the power button, there are in short succession two very rapid high-frequency beeps. If I’m wearing my HA’s, these are very loud. If I’m not wearing my HA’s, I can’t hear the beeps at all.

The BIOS beeps are to signal to the user that the BIOS is A-OK during the initial phase of computer startup. Depending on your computer make and model, there can be as many as a dozen or so different BIOS beep patterns to audibly signal to you that something specific is wrong with the current setup/performance of your computer as it boots or otherwise everything is A-OK.

Theoretically, there should be an option in the BIOS to change the beep frequency (pretty stupid if there is not - and there probably is not, I’d bet). So the point of the post is to note that computer OEM’s should be more aware of hearing impaired needs and maybe as the occasion permits we can all dun our computer, tablet, and phone manufacturers to allow the tone of BIOS/OS, etc., notification beeps to be adjusted. I haven’t looked in my Dell computer BIOS yet to see what could be done - but the with and without HA difference is just so striking.

Most modern motherboards mid-grade and above have visual boot indication onboard now (though this probably isn’t going to be the case with a Dell or HP or something; I don’t buy pre-builts but build my own). These display various codes as the computer goes through the boot process.

My case doesn’t even have a speaker so there are no beeps to hear in the first place.

Example: ASRock > Z490 PG Velocita
(16 segment display bottom right)

Visual cues are good, too. I’m just saying if an OEM or BIOS maker decides to offer a feature, those folks should better consider how to make it accessible for the “handicapped.” I feel the same way about the beepers on our home security alarm pads. The beep there is intended to give audio feedback as to whether you’ve successfully pressed a given key in a disarming key sequence and also give feedback when the alarm system changes its arming status, etc. Can’t hear a thing there without my HA’s and wish the keypad manufacturer had included a frequency change option for the keypad. I think the basic irony is that the use of high frequency is intended to make a signal more audible above background noise, which is usually more heavily skewed towards low frequency, and yet high frequency hearing is more likely to be lost as customers get older …

1 Like

Good post.
I found out I had high frequency hearing loss when I purchased a heart rate monitor 10 years ago.
Taking a break on my bike ride, a lady sitting near me on the bench, asked if I was ok.
I replied, what are you talking about.
She said I thought you may have a pacemaker that’s in alarm state, 'cause you are “Beeping”!!
I discovered it was the audible HRM alert threshold alarm!
I did not hear a thing!
Why do they design stuff with high freq. notifications?

1 Like