Forum Upgraded

We recently upgraded to Discourse 2.2.0.beta6 … For enhanced security and to enable a few other features from beta5 / beta6. We noticed some styling issues related to the national flag / headphone icon display, and we’re working on it. Let us know if there’s anything else out of whack, and feel free to read about the changes here:

1 Like

I think I prefer the category being along about the same line as the thread title. Takes up less space and seems less crowded.
Also I like that the search results scrolls properly now using the keyboard.

Edit: @AbramBaileyAuD 5 hours later. Nope. I’ve been looking at it. Wondering. Seeing if I can get used to it. It just clutters up the scan of thread titles getting in the way. I liked it better over in its own column on the same line so as to lessen the white space and title readability.

1 Like

Any reason you are using beta software on a production system? Beta software by definition is not yet ready for production use.

Security updates are offered in a timely manner with the beta releases, so we try to stay in sync with the beta system upgrades that include security enhancements.

2 Likes

Too bad there is not a choice for liking between “Thumbs Up” and “Heart” - even though the tooltip says “Like this post” for the heart symbol, the heart symbol comes a bit more loaded with emotional context - I like it that Facebook offers the voter a choice between Like and Love - but maybe the point here is not to differentiate “+” votes too much but if so, I’d be for keeping with a “Thumbs Up” to like something and conveying the degree of enthusiasm if one is moved to actually make a reply.

2 Likes

I’ll second that…

1 Like

We typically have a thumbs up, but the upgrade replaced our thumbs with hearts. Working on it :wink:

2 Likes

Sheriff Joe Arpaio used to make the inmates wear pink underwear. The hearts feel a little bit like that.

2 Likes

@BlueCrab - Your comment about Sheriff Joe is totally worth a heart vote! :sparkling_heart:

OK, they apparently have redefined standard software terms. I guess for them stable means old with security bugs.

It used to be beta software had all the planned features but was too buggy. for production. Stable was for production but would only get security patches.

Security is definitely most important for Internet-facing software.

Thank you for the explanation.

1 Like

I am getting a lot of the above system edits where my quote of someone’s previous post was removed from my post. The previous poster’s data is left intact, so I’m not sure about what is the intent of removing the quote from my post??

Capture

Oh, maybe the system considers this clutter, since it repeats the same thing?

Yes, it’s to reduce clutter. The system now removes the quote from a reply if you quote the entire previous post.

1 Like

National flags can now be updated again. @rasmus_braun

1 Like

Indeed, it works now.

Thanks.

I am no longer without a country. :wink:

1 Like

Hmm, that can make things a little confusing. Sometimes it’s helpful to know what someone is replying to.

1 Like

Simply click the little arrow in the quote box and it will take you to the full quote if you’re interested in reading the whole thing.

2 Likes

Right, but if the system is removing the quote, I don’t get that option.

You’ll still see the expandable in-reply-to icon, unless the reply is directly under the post it is replying to.

3 Likes

I think this system edit works well. Every one that I have seen is a an exact copy of the preceding post. If your intention is to memorialize the previous post (because you don’t want to see it get deleted) them maybe you should add something to make it not an exact copy.

2 Likes

By the way, thumbs up on restoring the thumbs up!
:+1:

3 Likes