For the first time in 5 years I wore my hearing aids without allergic reactions (new ear mold with new audiologist)

For the past five years, I always had severe sweat/condensation from my right ear’s ear mold at the end of the day. There was also not a single day that went by that my ear would not itch because of it. And my hearing changed (not in a good way) because of the reactions I was experiencing. I’m happy to say that this appears to be a thing of the past.

So yesterday, I wore my hearing aids with zero condensation forming in my right ear for the first time in a long while. I got a disappear acrylic ear mold from Westone with the cloudy, dry material I used to have before my former audiologist changed my ear molds in 2019 without my input, to a clear and shiny acrylic. It was after that that my allergic reactions began: significant amounts of sweat, wax, and more. Even more than before. My audiologist never had an answer when I would ask him why am I experiencing this except “it’s acrylic. I don’t know what’s wrong…”

And, what’s even weirder: the sound sounds even sharper and clearer than before. It’s not just some of the new settings my new audiologist programmed into my incredible Oticon Xceed 1s.

There is a marked difference between the sound quality of my older ear mold and my new one. Somehow the dryer material makes things sharper and clearer than the clearer material.

Normally, with my old ear mold my hearing would change throughout the day depending on how much condensation forms. Usually by the end of the day I had so much condensation/sweat from it.

Not so with my new ear mold. This is the first day in over 5 years I have been able to wear my hearing aids at length for most of the day without condensation. It’s all like I used to remember it. The best-fitting ear mold I have ever had in the past 5-10 years I believe.

It was a good move firing my former audiologist and Phonak.

Not a single allergic reactions so far. No sweat. No condensation. The first signs are extremely encouraging.

Oh yes, I wanted to say thank you to @1Bluejay for such a detailed description of the trouble they have experienced in the past with their allergic reactions to ear molds. It gave me an idea of what I was experiencing and what to look out for.

3 Likes

Glad you have found a solution to your moisture problem. I too have the same condition. I went to Westone’s web site and they certainly have a lot of choices. I saw the DisappEar list that shows three types, A,B,C.
Can you elaborate on which you chose and how Westone work with clinics?
Thanks

1 Like

OK. WOWIE! I just surfed up to the Westone custom molds website and am FLOORED at the choices here! They’ve taken the old fashioned custom ear mold and literally made it JEWELRY to show off!

I see there are many color options under “Silicone” but what I wonder is what that silicone is made of? They also have “slick-sil” that supposedly repels bacteria even. I can only wear the super soft, double domes as pictured here without much of a reaction. All other materials hard, soft, firm, acrylic, whatever seem to make my ears burn like boiled lobster tails.

Also, how would I get my Phonak Lumity Life L90 receivers on the ends of these? Would I have my audi send an ear impression in to Westone? I am SUPER intrigued with these options. If I could find a material I’m not allergic to that perhaps has more “grip” than the double domes, I may benefit from better quality sound without an allergic reaction.

THOUGHTS anyone out there?

3 Likes

The type I chose was acrylic, type B. It’s extremely dry, and includes dry tubing. So, your mileage may vary depending on your condition. But, I can say this: On day 3 with my new aids, and I have had zero droplets of condensation on my ear mold tubing. AND in my ear. It’s been over five years since I could say that. I do have some, extremely minor, soreness on my outer ear because I’m getting used to the new ear mold material. But it’s nothing like the horrible condensation and hearing changes I would be experiencing on a daily basis. I imagine it will disappear fast (pun intended…hah!!).

Typically, your audiologist should have an ear impression done, and then it typically takes around two weeks to get the ear mold in after your audiologist sends out for it.

I’m way out of my depth here, but I think I remember saying you’d have the Naida rather than the Audeo except that your allergy to every mold material imaginable made tubes impossible. Just looking at your audiogram, it’s outside the recommended range for the Audeo. So if I’m not just putting words in your mouth here, and one of these molds works for you, I think the long-term plan wouldn’t involve receivers.

I’m not really familiar with the Naida. Upgrading from the Phonak Marvels, I’ve had the Lumity Life with L90 receivers and RIE since fall of 2022. I think ideally I would have a tube + custom mold, and yes, it’s cuz of the infernal allergic reactions to these materials.

I can wear absolute 99-cent junk on my wrists, fingers, neck, no allergies there! Even cheap makeup, no prob. But in my ear canals? I should probably have SOLID GOLD molds, LOL. I’d have to rob a bank for a pair of them…

2 Likes

Not gold, but phonak does make very nice titanium molds. 3d printed, even. I like mine. Not gonna handle shape changing well, though.

WH

1 Like

Yes … they are on the burner, and I’m intrigued with the possibility of good fit + no allergic reaction to them. :slight_smile: