Fooling Around With Android Hearing Test App and Tone Generator Pro-Plus Gentle Vacuuming HA's!

Hmm, I figured. Now that my hearing is corrected with HA’s if I use the Android Hearing Test (Pro) app in Demo Mode and test my frequency response, it ought to be pretty flat and sensitive to all frequencies across the spectrum in the test. In the low to mid-frequencies (100 to ~4000 Hz), it is but I have trouble hearing the high frequencies streaming the test to my HA’s. Before hearing correction, when I did the test with various earbuds and headphones and even my Note 8 phone speaker, the general shape of the curve generated more or less mirrored my high-frequency ski slope loss.

Well, I thought. Maybe there is something wrong with the app, my phone, the streamer, in the message “generate a high frequency tone of XYZ Hz.” So I also have the Android app Tone Generator Pro and I can step through various frequencies streaming to my HA’s and hear a tone up to 8,000 Hz in that in both HA’s but I do have to turn up the volume a bit on the phone relative to lower frequencies.

The main reason for this post, as I was doing the above, I was wondering, “Hmm? Can I blow out my receivers monkeying around like this or do the HA’s have some built-in protection against doing this?”

The other thing I was interested was with my high-frequency hearing loss, if the Hearing Test Pro Android app were somewhat accurately reflecting my HA correction, does an audi typically restore frequency response to a “flat” line or given my high-frequency deficit, to hear the softest high-frequency sounds, I’d have to have a dangerous high-frequency amplification, therefore I’m at the point where I can hear strong to loud sounds at the very highest frequency but not the softest?

And lastly, REM’s aside, if I opted for the DIY software just to monitor my HA performance myself, is it likely that that would give me a much better, more accurate relative frequency response curve than I would get fooling around with any phone app. I was thinking, too, as I learn to use the HA’s, it would give me some feedback on how well I have inserted the domes into each ear, how well I am keeping each receiver clean or whether I’m degrading my receivers, microphones, etc., by my treatment.

Final uncertainty! I have some El Cheapo microtool attachments for my canister vacuum. To avoid too powerful a suction in the microtool, I can let a lot of air into the vacuum by the suction control ports, etc. My audi seemed to think that if I were careful, I could use the microtool to clean my HA’s, the microphones, etc., with gentle suction - I’m wondering about the domes, too! Would love to hear about anyone who’s tried this and knows whether I’m heading for potential disaster!

Response isn’t supposed to be flat. Look up NAL-NL2 and get a feel for how gain is prescribed. If you haven’t already, take a look at Audiology online. You can sign up and access all the classes you want for free (unless you’re wanting CE credit.

Thanks. This ought to keep me busy for a while:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4627149/

That’ll work. If you want to dig into this, I’d encourage reading stuff like this and audiology online rather than looking for potential weaknesses in your hearing aids.

Don’t think there’s anything in my OP finding fault with my Quattro’s - they’re GREAT! (On day 2, they’re already the New Normal for me - I love the new sound and already take it for granted as my regular hearing and when I have the Quattro’s out, I don’t like the “old” sound). If I was finding fault with anything in my OP it was the Android Hearing Test app or my understanding of how amplification is adjusted relative to a hearing deficit. So the NAL-NL2 standard/protocol reveals the basic problem and goes a ways toward correcting the weakness in my understanding - which has really has nothing to do with my HA’s. Thanks SO MUCH for the tip, pointing me in the right direction! The unanswered part of my OP is if I went to the trouble of getting the linking hardware and DIY programming software would I have a better understanding of how my hearing profile has been adjusted even if I have no intention, due to ignorance, of mucking around with the settings. :thinking:

This is also an important unanswered question for me. If I turn up the volume too much on some streaming device, is there any danger of making my receivers toast!??? In the good ol’ days, by cranking up an amp too much, you could fry physical analog audio speakers.

I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think you can fry your receivers with the controls you have. You might fry your ears though. :slight_smile:

My previous post referred to your testing frequency limits. I get being curious, but testing in natural settings (bird songs or other things you’d like to be able to hear) is likely more productive.

Getting the hearing aid software is the only way I know of to learn the options that are available. It’s free. Once you’re familiar with software, you can ask your audiologist to see whatever screens you like. If you want to spend several hundred dollars on equipment (I guess you’d just need Noahlink Wireless–but check DIY forums first-that’s also where you can find software) you could access all the settings on your hearing aids.

That sounds pretty scary. I purchased a Jodi-Vac from Amazon, and love it. I have the benefit of having access to microscopes at work. I took a look at my aids after a week of using the Jodi-Vac, and was pleasantly surprised at how clean they were. It’s pretty dificult to see what you are doing, but their marketing material recommends that you use it every day so that “what you miss today you will get tomorrow.”

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m actually reminding myself to Search, Search, Search the forum and after initially posting about vacuuming found past discussion here about the Jodi-Vac. Looked it up on Amazon and the consumer version is available for around $99 - the Pro something like $240. The thing that deterred me from rushing out to buy it is that the product literature (I think) said that the filter should be changed about every 6 months and I didn’t see filters listed anywhere - so what do you do in that department, @BlueCrab?

I also searched the forum on wipes. The ReSound instructions say not to use alcohol-based wipes, especially on the HA body. My audi told me that alcohol-based wipes are OK for the domes. I see some people on the forum use Audio Wipes (they have benzalkonium, both a detergent and a biocide, in them) and Audio Wipes are water-based, but expensive!! - a packet of 30 is something like $15 on Amazon. What seems more reasonable is the OakTree Hearing Aid Cleaner and Disinfectant, probably the same type of solution, but in a 4 oz bottle for $8.25. Anyone using this? I was thinking of getting this and using Bounty paper towels as the source of a small bit of “wipe” material and dampening a fragment of towel with the OakTree solution.

I tried my small vacuum attachment. So much air is allowed to leak into the hose by the microtool to avoid too powerful a suction that the microtool attachment is not strong enough and the suction area is too big. So the Jodi-Vac would probably be both more powerful and much more localized a suctioning device.

Interesting that TruHearing mails its customers a nice set of plastic card cribsheets on hearing aid care and use. One of the intriguing recommendations on the cleaning card is NOT to clean the HA domes on removing them for the day but wait 'til morning until the wax has dried, stating the wax will be much easier to remove then. Wondering what other folks here think about this?!

In the magnification department, I thought about hauling out my Wild M3 stereo dissecting microscope with direct, incident illumination but that’s a PIA, just like a regular vacuum, to get out and put back (it’s too valuable and too much other junk around the house to leave out). What seems to work pretty well (and is thousands of dollars cheaper!!!) is a $20 hands-free illuminated magnifier on a stand from RadioShack:

It’s mainly designed for soldering fine electronic components. I don’t use the clamps and I haven’t used the built-in LED illuminator. Seems to work well just using my Energizer Brilliant Beam LED headlamp to illuminate straight down through the magnifier at what I’m holding underneath (160 lumens of concentrated beam!). The RS magnifier offers a pretty large plastic magnifying lens at 2x mag and then there is a little section off to the side that offers 4x mag. After cataract surgery in both eyes and a glasses prescription to correct for presbyopia (inability to focus close-up) and my remaining astigmatism, I can see 20/20 in both eyes, maybe even 20/15 close-up so the RS hands-free magnifying seems to work great for me and it’s easy to get out, put back, unlike the Wild, which is a few pounds, probably. (and it’s pronounced “vildt” not W–I--L–D) - I see they’ve been bought by Leica, apparently.

Thanks for the suggestions. On the software, I usually prefer to get the software straight from the authentic source as the onus is on them to make sure that no malware has snuck in, somehow. In the mid-2000’s I was into modding Windows Mobile smartphones (the one’s before the iPhone came along) and it’s amazing I didn’t worry more about what might be in the custom firmware, I was loading on my devices - but then I didn’t do any security-sensitive stuff like banking on my phone!

The poster child for computer security issues is the poor guy who got the contract for supplying PC’s to a university that I was at back in the day of Michael Dell starting his own custom PC business, etc. This guy was building custom PC’s and selling them at an unbeatable price to the university. Only the Windows/DOS setup software he was using to image the PC’s he was building contained malware. So every computer he provided on up into Deans’ offices and beyond was corrupted - for that, I was glad that I had bought my $9,000 IBM PC…

I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with any software in the DIY section here but just that if I can get software free directly from ReSound, for the above sort of reasons, that would be my first choice.

I don’t think you’re going to get the software from Resound period. This is kind of a grey area. The only options I know of are DIY forum and people who sell it sometimes on ebay.

Thanks again for the tip!

(I have too much stuff!) Completely forgot that I have the following head-worn magnifier with (weak) LED illumination: SE MH1047L Illuminated Dual Lens Flip-In Head Magnifier. It’s available on Amazon as a PRIME item for only $9.61. When I got it, I thought for that price, it can’t be much good, but it’s actually pretty decent (the box claims 1.5x, 3x, and 6x magnification from flip-in lenses). Since I like my Energizer Brilliant Beam headlamp for well-illuminated close-up work, it’s a bit hard to wear the two devices on one’s head at the same time - I’ll have to see how it works out for cleaning HA’s.

Don’t know what the forum rules are for posting links to other sites but I think instead of linking to such items I will just post a sufficient description to any item so that anyone interested might find it on their own on the Internet and will try to avoid any appearance of placing “ads” for any product. Anything I happen to mention is try at your own risk.

I bought the consumer version and love it. I don’t know what more the pro version would give you. I don’t use mine as often as I should. I’ve had it for one year, and I’ve noticed that it could use a new filter. They don’t sell the filters on Amazon for some reason, you have to go directly to the manufacturer. I haven’t done it yet, but I’ve heard that they’re pretty easy to deal with.

My aids came with a little cloth, much like the ones you get with a pair of eyeglasses. I just use that every night when I take them out.

I actually took my Jodi-Vac to work one day to use the microscope with it. What I learned is that fresh wax doesn’t vacuum. So I use it in the morning before I put them in.

I used the microscope at work simply to verify that it was doing what it should. On a day-to-day basis, I just have faith in their marketing line: “what you miss today, you will get tomorrow.”

( Did this on my phone, hope all the formatting is okay)

Turned out GREAT! Thanks for all the practical advice! I’ll take it to heart.

Looking around, too, I see that there are various online HA accessory product sellers that sell Jodi-Vac filters at a discount. One sells a pack of 6 filters for $13. At a new filter every 6 months, that’s not too bad so I think I will spring for the consumer Jodi-Vac on Amazon, see if I like it and if it’s great, buy a 6-pack of filters or two to future-proof me for at least a few years. Since the filter seems to be a wire mesh, perhaps it’s likely with the right cleaning method or solution that one could just keep cleaning and reusing the original filter.

On getting the consumer Jodi-Vac and my wife raising her eyebrows with every new “must-have” HA accessory, it occurred to me to rationalize the Jodi-Vac expense with her as she could use it to clean her earbuds, too! Since both her parents became hard-of-hearing in their old age, she may find, too, that someday she’ll wanting to use the vac, too, on her own HA’s!

A pack of 6 filters is even cheaper if ordered directly from Jodi-Vac ($11.60 a 6-pack) but I imagine there might be shipping, possibly tax, etc., from any seller. Jodi-Vac does not have an online shopping cart - so you presumably have to give your credit card info to a human being, cannot use PayPal, etc., so there are some choices to be made there, too. (The product itself is much cheaper on Amazon, $99).
http://jodivac.com/jodi-consumer_product_details.html

There is a nice simple set of instructions on how it works (the FAQ are also well done, too). The instructions warn you that if used on “older, well-used” HA’s that you may dislodge a receiver tube with the vacuum. Seem to imply that as long as you do not try to poke the vacuum needle through the inlet in the microphone mesh that you will be OK there but I worry a little bit about stress on the microphone surfaces.

The main selling point from my viewpoint is that, according to their marketing stuff, the Jodi-Vac can suck up fluid ear oils that get in crevices that simpler, more typical brush, loop, cloth techniques won’t get out. In my comments here, I am probably just rehashing stuff discussed in other threads as a number of forum users have been employing the Jodi-Vac for years.

http://jodivac.com/documents/JodiVac-Consumer-Instructions-0210.pdf