Follow up with New Audiologist

I just wanted to give an update with my new audiologist , I wear Oticon Alta Pros they 2018 set due to repairs i have received a refurbished pair via Oticon , I had seen a previous audiologist about a week ago and he was saying that I had recruitment I didn’t feel confident with what he was saying even though I was describing my symptoms and also I had gone to with an appointment made with the audiologist but they put me with the hearing aid instrument associate and no proper testing :neutral_face: feeling very frustrated I have to say I had to move on to the next audiologist #7 to my wonderful surprise she had worked at Oticon for 5 years and has been an Audiologist for 20 years , she did test me for recruitment and said I did not have it what she found was the fitting for my aid which was a power dome that was a occluded with no vent was holding the sound and also she thought pressing on a nerve because it was affecting my jaw … my symptom were headache, tension in my neck and shoulders, job pain especially near my ears were you would insert the hearing aid. My previous audiologist has left me like this for four years it has only been two days and I feel like a normal person I want to wear my hearing aids the sadness that I feel is that how could I pay all this money to an audiologist for her Not to be able to figure out that it was a simple fitting mishap, she actually told me I needed to see a psychologist when my pain was real maybe she thought she was being helpful when really she was mistaken unprofessional and maybe just maybe she did not care I don’t know but I do know that this forum has help me to find solutions I needed for so many years and I wanted to say thank you … Yes my body cannot take a lot of sound however if you have pain with your hearing aids it is pain it’s not in your head you have to find the right audiologist it is true I hope this helps anyone else’s suffering with the symptoms again thank you Shanie

I’m so pleased that your new audiologist has found a solution and it has worked for you. :smile:

Me too I really had thought it was a lot more complex and I guess it is that a simple little thing in your ear can cause so much problems they did adjust my settings of course I’m very thankful

I think you have to keep in mind that Audi practices are in a very competitive environment. In order to maintain their profitability they have to think: examine, fit, adjust and quickly move on to the next patient. Also the particular audiologist or fitter you are seeing may be an employee of the practice who is under pressure to process patients quickly. I think this is especially true of Costco.

It’s not that these practioners don’t care about you. It’s that if they were to drop everything else and make sure every patient was totally satisfied no matter how long it took they wouldn’t be able to compete against super-efficient assembly-line-type practices.

I think the only thing you can do is to keep trying to get your problem fixed: See an ENT, insist that the HA manufactuer’s rep is present during a fitting session, ask to demo another HA brand, switch Audi’s if necessary, pore over this forum and other online resources and ask questions of everyone. IMO your hearing is too important to settle for a less-than-optimum solution.

I had an Audi who was extremely accommodating about multiple fitting sessions. I think she really cared, but I still wasn’t satisfied. Then I switched brands and audis and things were much better. I think maybe Audi’s are kind of like psychotherapists. Just because one is good doesn’t mean that he/she is the right one for YOU…Good luck.

Again I have posted before, but you may know more as to “How to find good Audiologist”.

Hello, I was working in Oticon for 10 years as a laboratory technician and let me tell you that unfortunately the credits are taken by the audiologist. They do not really know how to handle this type of situation. It is very frustrating to see many cases that audiologists can not help but they know that we as a technician we have the solution to all these hearing devices because we makes, assembled and repair hearing aids.

How do you find a good plumber, mechanic, etc? There isn’t a simple 3 or 5 step approach. It is a combination of things that boils down to are you satisfied with the results. Do you feel these results are the best obtainable?

All you can do is use the trial period to decide.

We’ve already talked about how they should conform to best practices guidelines. REM is a flag for a good part of that. If they don’t do it, they aren’t following the guideline. When they say such things aren’t necessary they aren’t being truthful.

I see my audi on Monday and I will ask if he did the REM when I had my test. Thank you Ken.

I fully agree with the “are you satisfied with the results.” part. I’m less inclined to believe that following best practices and hence REM is absolutely necessary. I believe we’ve heard on other posts that Um Bongo does not always do REM and a recent audiologist I saw doesn’t routinely do it. I think it boils down to 1) Do you trust him/her? and 2) Are you satisfied with the results. A “good” audiologist, like a “good” doctor is in the eye of the beholder. I’ve worked with doctors that I thought walked on water and some patients hated them. Others that were beloved by some, I’d prefer to stay away from.

I agree, You definitely have to be your own advocate however this audiologist I paid $6000 for my hearing aids not to mention that she charges for your hearing test where other audiologist do not charge… I knew that she would charge for the hearing test I felt like it was a little out of order but I figured if she was good at what she did I have no problem with it because hearing is important to me I don’t expect anyone to work for nothing I’m very very happy with the results I have now you just have to keep trying and sometimes Try try try again

Real Ear Measurement isn’t part of a hearing test. It’s done while fitting a pair of new (or new to you) hearing aids. Maybe also done when putting new receivers or domes or molds on your current aids, but I haven’t experienced those myself. REM is hard to miss, since it involves putting a microphone very close to your eardrums.

On both sets of hearing aids I’ve tried, the output curve on the REM test started lower than the target curve, for both ears, and the audiologist had to adjust them upward. On the first set, she couldn’t get the curves for my weaker ear to line up, until she replaced the receiver with a more powerful one. I guess both situations could have worked out without REM, if the audiologist had a good seat-of-the-pants knowledge of the exact aids she was fitting. But how many audiologists selling multiple brands know all the quirks of every model variant they sell, including new models?

The problem I see with “satisfied with the results” is that many of us don’t know what to expect. A lot of advice and user experience online teaches us to not expect much from hearing aids, so we may decide we’re satisfied when we shouldn’t be. REM doesn’t guarantee the best results with sophisticated aids that have a lot of knobs to tweak, but at least it helps make sure that things are working right at the basic level of frequency vs. gain.

I think REM is necessary, and it has nothing to do with the skill of the pro. For example, and I’m just simplifying it here, say the software says setting A should be set to 6. What if that receiver is weaker or stronger than normal? REM would show that 6 (if the receiver is weaker) does not have the results needed, and setting A needs to be set for 7 for that ear. I had this exact scenario where a receiver did not have the output expected by the software. The pro grabbed and dragged the output up into range for that ear.

Just for people’s information, I tend to be the guy arguing for following the “rules.” I personally would prefer REM, but I think a good audiologist can get a decent fit in most cases without it. The audiologist I mentioned will do it upon request and if he’s really struggling to get a decent fit. He uses lots of subtle ways to find out if the aids are doing a good job. He really listens to the patient’s feedback and he’s also observing how well one understands him. I agree in an ideal world I’d prefer a provider that did REM, but in our less than perfectd world, I’d consider other qualities more important. And to respond to your specific example, I think an experienced audiologist would likely figure out that patient wasn’t getting enough gain and increase it.

Audiologists who do not use REM are mainly going on the patient’s feedback (no pun intended), which is subjective. A new user will have a harder time judging if their experience is optimum because they have nothing to compare with and everything is going to sound loud at first. The professional societies for audiologists consider REM best practice.

Hi Shanie,
Tho’ it is a trite thing to say, I feel your pain. While I didn’t experience malpractice, as you did, I did have an unsatisfactory relationship with an audiologist who failed to get the most out of my aids for about 15+ years. I was snookered by all his scientific equipment and his friendliness. Now very happy with a pair of aids I bought on ebay (!) and had fitted at the local University.

I had a career as an ancillary health professional, so I know the territory a little. I would contact my former audiologist and request a refund on services which were ineffective and actually malpractice. If you don’t get any results from this, you can contact the governing board in the state in which you reside. There is a consumer friendly complaint procedure that the “Board of Examiners in Audiology” or some such group maintains. The reason that I suggest you contact the audiologist directly first is that these boards don’t afford that health professional a lot of room and they do assume that he/she is guilty until proven innocent. I know from experience how destructive these complaints can be…however, if a complaint directly to the professional involved doesn’t produce results, you can complain to the Board and they will take corrective action, even if it doesn’t result in your recovering any money. I think you could also sue, perhaps in Small Claims Court. You definitely have a case. At the very least, after not resolving your problem, the audie should have referred you on to an MD. Glad you finally got your situation taken care of and are now hearing well and without pain.
royjohn

Good Morning M,

I really appreciate your email I have been thinking about this for a while, on my last visit with that audiologist she told me that I should go back and see a psychiatrist or psychotherapist I went back to my car and just cried because I realized how insensitive she was, We did not exchange a lot of money so I think that’s why she so frustrated and said what she said what she tried to do was put me into a pair resound Linx hearing aids … of course I had pain real bad I could not wear them and I think she was frustrated because I wouldn’t be able to buy another pair of H / Aids …

I literally had to force her to send in my Oticon alta pros, I know the microphones had been damaged with like moisture I do know that of course they’re working wonderfully now very crisp and clear and plenty of volume…

I will contact those you mentioned about her mainly because of her telling me that I need to see a psychiatrist I do feel like I want to get a lawyer and press charges were against her to help her to recognize that the position she has as an audiologist requires her to think before she speaks , I do have an anxiety problem that has been treated successfully and she knew this on my records because I put it down while I was taking medication but I am not on medication for that any longer I really feel I’m a victim of thoughtless words and also I really feel she really wanted just to sell me another instrument what are your thoughts am I out of line ?

no need to do these things and tell her you will bear cost of cleaning and service of aid(general) also tell full checkup. on her letterhead write this problem only then company will recognise this as issue there is no other way