Fluctuating Hearing

Is it normal to have hearing levels change. I have days where my hearing is so bad that I can barely hear anything and other days where it’s not bad.

it’s normal unless you have earwax issues like me :slight_smile:

You know I was just thinking about the same thing. For me it depends on stress, lack of sleep, depression, allergy season for starters. Recently I just lost my son and during that week I couldn’t hear the doctors or nurses explaining things, my ears just blocked up. My husband had to interrupt for me.
I’m thinking it’s our brain, happy then I hear my best. They say you hear with your brain, so all of the above affects your brain and hearing.

1 Like

I know that if I am tired I don’t hear as good as when I am rested

1 Like

Thanks for your input. I have noticed dramatic changes in my hearing from day to day, out even different times of the day. Understanding speech has been greatly affected by this. I’m trying to figure out any sort of pattern with it but it’s been to inconsistent with me.

1 Like

Sounds more cognitive to me. But ask an ENT if there are any physiological syndromes that could have course-of-a-day variability like that, to make sure it’s not a sign of something medical that you should have treated.

Beyond that, I’ve found that my speech understanding varies with my emotional state and physiological level of alertness, FWIW.

1 Like

I was asking myself the same question recently. I find that in the morning when I put my HAs in, my hearing is terrible and I need to turn the volume on the TV way up to hear the news. By evening I turn on the same TV for the evening news and I need to turn it down because it is much too loud. This is the case almost every day.

1 Like

Funny, me too. In the morning I think my brain isn’t awake yet and my hearing isn’t the best. By afternoon hearing is better.

I agree with haggis emotional state and physiological level of alertness is the key. It’s the brain.

2 Likes

For me my hearing is the best in the morning and gets worse as the day goes along.

1 Like