First Time Trying Aids - Cookie Bite Loss

Hi everyone - I just got diagnosed with a cookie bite hearing loss about 2 weeks ago and am trying out a pair of Oticon Alta 2 Pro TI’s the last few days.

I both was and wasn’t surprised by the diagnosis - I knew something was wrong, but didn’t think it’d be bad enough for them to recommend hearing aids! Realizing now that I have them on that I have been missing things - I can hear whispers and footsteps now!

Here’s my question though - I like these aids a lot and I’m already noticing less hair noises and my voice is sounding more normal than it did at first, but would I be crazy to buy the first aids I try? If I like them, is that nuts? Or, as a first-timer, do I need to shop around and try multiple audis and multiple aids for a while first?

What advice do you have for me? Thanks!

Octicon has introduced the Opn platform with a more advanced processor and software. I would seek that aid instead of the now dated product. It should be priced at a similar price point.

Erica,

Hi. After seven years, my Oticon Dual hearing aids are failing and I’m replacing them. My original thought was to replace them with Oticon or Starkey. Since the cost is something like $6,000, I looked for options.

After much research and hand-wringing, I ordered Costco Trax 42’s (made by Rexton). Total cost is $2,697. Forum members praise them and I liked the sound during a trial. And they cost one-half as much as the Oticons.

OTOH, choosing them over the Oticons does make me a bit nervous. That said, Costco has a 90 day return policy. So the risk is low.

One thing to keep in mind is that we both have a cookie bite hearing loss. Common wisdom is that we need AIDS with lots of channels. And that a good fit is more difficult for most audi’s because it is a relatively rare type of loss. I.e. audi’s may not have much experience fitting for our type of loss.

Regarding the Opn’s, they may be great, but… The amount of marketing hype in the hearing aid industry is pretty high. So side by side testing with other aids is highly recommended.

Good luck,

Dan.

Nothing wrong with liking the first pair of aids you try. You are just lucky. I do not se the point of trying many different brands before deciding, if you like what you have got now. It is not that easy or straight forward to switch from one the other. Each works a little differently and every time you have to let your brain wrap itself around that before you know - and then the question is if the difference big enough that it is still clear in your mind, which one is better?

find an audiologist you can trust

Once DD has expressed his cut and paste BS what could possibly be left to say.

I’m also a new hearing aid user with two Oticon Alta2 Pro TI miniRITE devices. I’m 64 and I’ve worked in excavation construction most of my life. My loss became annoying enough to finally do something about it. A friend is a retired audiology professor and his wife is a hearing and speech therapist. They highly recommended a local audiologist. She recommended the Alta2 for the greatest diversity of different listening environments. (I’m also someone that likes the latest tech device and I’ve spent a ton of money buying computers, cell phones and tablets thinking that new would be better. Sadly it’s generally not the case.) Another friend in the construction field gave me feedback about his Costco experience.

During the six weeks I’ve had them there have been a few adjustment visits and a speaker replacement. For the last month I have had no complaints. They are comfortable, unobtrusive and I’m hearing more than I was. The Streamer Pro works well, even outside in a noisy environment. However being a well trained American consumer I keep wondering if they are the best and would something else work better. I did consider the Oticon Opn but decided being new at this it made more sense to stick with something that had some history and was working rather than buying into the marketing hype. It may be great but would I be able to recognize it and experience the difference. In this instance I’ll let someone else get the cutting edge technology and work all the problems out that come with new devices.

The new driver analogy is true in that they do not have experience with something else. But if their first car does everything needed without any problems what’s to be gained by wondering if they could do better. I think most of these beliefs and practices are things we are taught by living in a consumer-based cultural.

The Opn has a new processor. That lets it do more while having less battery drain. Most of the software with it is based on the predecessor. If there are complaints about some additions, those can be updated.

Going to the Opn is really a no-brainer.

A perceptive observation. Better technical specifications may not result in any noticeable real-world improvement for your particular listening situations.

Maybe my experience is unusual, but my first trial with aids left me so unimpressed I was ready to give up on the idea, and they were premium aids from a private audi. So - pay a fortune, get devices that hardly help enough to notice. When my father’s hearing became a problem, he refused to do anything about it, claiming aids couldn’t do anything for his kind of loss. Up until my own first experience, I always thought he was just too vain to wear aids, but I started thinking maybe he was right after all. Then I had friends telling me they knew people who had aids and none of them were happy with them. My first internet research showed me a high percentage of people pay thousands for aids and then throw them in a drawer and don’t wear them - all discouraging.

If my doctor hadn’t encouraged me to go to Costco, I might have given up on the whole idea. I think I found this forum about that time too. Obviously I was unlucky with the audi I encountered in my first venture into the HA world and more fortunate in my second, but my first experience was a turn-off.