First Time! Siemens Pure? Starkey Destiny? Phonak Yes?

I am 24 years old and about to get my first pair of aids (hereditary loss). The idea of a CIC is very appealing to me, but I also want to make sure that I am getting an aid that will be best for my hearing loss.

I live in NYC so I am constantly dealing with loud environments, and my job requires a lot of interaction with people (everything from one-on-one office conversations to dinners parties and social events) so being a part of the conversation is critical for me.

My audi suggested the Starkey Destiny for a CIC, or the Siemens Pure 500/700 RIC. The Pure sounds great to me (Tek options, size, directional mic) but I’ve seen problems in this forum with “tinny” sounds in high frequencies, and due to the nature of my loss I’m afraid it wouldn’t work well for me. I’ve seen good things about the Phonak Yes in this forum, but for some reason my Audi didn’t recommend it. Does anyone have any experience with these models? Or have other option to recommend?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

250 - 15 - 20
500 - 20 - 25
1000 - 40 - 60
2000 - 70 - 100
4000 - 85 - 100
8000 - 100 - 100

Which receiver would you be using with the Pure? It looks like it would have to be the 65 dB receiver (and a custom micro-mold to prevent feedback) as your loss is beyond the range of the 55 dB receiver, it would seem.

If the Pure with a 65 dB receiver is a good fit, you may want to look at the Rexton Cobalt 16 at Costco. They just started selling it, and it’s the Rexton equivalent of the Pure, and the aids and remote are $3700.

I snagged this fitting range from http://hearingaids.openfit.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=pure700

I’m not sure…I’m new to this so I’ll have to ask my Audi. Fortunately, I have some insurance coverage for hearing aids so I can get a pretty good rate. It does not include all brands, but I know it includes Siemens and Phonak (not starkey).

Another question about RIC (or BTE) - does this get in the way of glasses/sun glasses? Other girls out there - do you have problems tucking your hair behind your ears?

I would check out the Siemens CIC.

I have worn Starkey and I have worn Siemens and I like Siemens better.

the siemens aid will be the nitro…

phonak is going to release a new power cic

If I remember correctly, Neilk has similar loss, so I would read what he has said.

Neilk and I both trialed the Pure’s with the TEK and we both were extremely unhappy. The sound was terrible and the TEK is just too big and old fashioned looking.

I also trailed Siemens CIC motions and again the sound was tinny and I had extreme feedback. As above for the TEK.

Neilk and I are both trialing the YES IX and love them, the iCom and the myPilot. It would be wonderful if they could combine the icom and mypilot like the TEK, but until then, this will do. There a few minor problems with the YES’s, but I understand that they will be sorted by the end of April.

Hi Confused,

At this point I am leaning towards a BTE (RIC) aid over the CIC - so I am really debating between the Pure (500 or 700) and the Yes (V or IX). I have read good and bad things about both models, but from your and Nielk’s posts it does seem like the Yes would be the better way to go.

Obviously hearing is the most important thing, but I just do not like the way the Yes looks online. I haven’t seen it in person, but it just looks like such an awkward shape, and it seems like it would be much more conspicuous and less comfortable than the Pure. Can you give me your opinion on this?

Can you also elaborate on what type of “problems” they are expecting to sort out in April?

Thanks!

I just picked up my Audeo YES IXs 2 hours ago. While I can’t speak of any problems yet, I can say that visually, they are hardly noticeable. Someone told me that they looked like part of my glasses, actually. They are ALOT smaller than they look.

WOOOHOOOO!!! I’m waiting to hear what you think of them now!!! :smiley: I agree, they were smaller than I expected them to be by their pictures.

As for the iCom/MyPilot being two pieces as Confused mentioned … I am fine with that myself as the iCom is so much smaller, lighter weighted, and less conspicuous and more comfortable wearing around your neck. Now it is a bad feature that it must be around your neck, cannot really be on the desk/table in front of you. I believe that it because the neckband is an antenna, one which must be used to transmit the signal to the aids (?). But then too, the sound from it is so much better overall than that from the Tek, making it worth the wearing. And the MyPilot is slimmer and more functional than the Tek by a long shot. It fits better in the pocket of jeans, has a much better display, much more actual volume control … definitely better thought out and designed.

I trialed the Pure 700s and HATED them (I have a thread with that title somewhere here). But my hearing loss is the opposite of yours, so maybe that will make a difference.

What I know now is that you need an audiologist who is willing to let you trial more than one pair of HAs and get the company to extend the 30-day trial period, if necessary.

seeing how steep your audiogram curve is, you might want to get the audeo yes IX. the aid supports 20 channels which can better shape sounds to your loss. the audeo yes comes in 3 flavors, IX, V, and III, and the channel support can range from 20, 16, and 6 respectively.

I have another appointment with the audiologist tomorrow, so I’m going to take all of your advice and form a list of questions for her! I’ve already spoken to her once since my first appointment, and she’s been more than helpful. She’s offered to order two different sets of aids for me and let me try both at no extra charge, and because I am covered by HearPO I will have a 60 day trial with the aids. If anyone in NYC needs an audiologist let me know because she’s been great!

Do you have any update on this?

the only power Phonak CIC is the Exelia Art power ,but it is not as powerful as Nitro

Hi,

I would like to know which company hearing aid is best. I am from India.
Siemens Vs Starkey Vs Phonak. My Budget is 10000 Rs INR.

I have following hearing loss.
<table style=“width: 245px; height: 147px;” border=“0” cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“0”><col style=“width: 54pt;” width=“72”> <col style=“width: 48pt;” width=“64” span=“2”> <tbody><tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt; width: 54pt;” width=“72” height=“20”> <table width=“188” border=“0” cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“0”><col style=“width: 54pt;” width=“72”> <col style=“width: 47pt;” width=“63”> <col style=“width: 40pt;” width=“53”> <tbody><tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt; width: 54pt;” width=“72” align=“center” height=“20”>Frequency</td> <td style=“width: 47pt;” width=“63” align=“center”>Right Ear</td> <td style=“width: 40pt;” width=“53” align=“center”>Left Ear</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“center” height=“20”>250</td> <td align=“center”>50</td> <td align=“center”>75</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“center” height=“20”>500</td> <td align=“center”>50</td> <td align=“center”>70</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“center” height=“20”>1000</td> <td align=“center”>50</td> <td align=“center”>50</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“center” height=“20”>2000</td> <td align=“center”>50</td> <td align=“center”>50</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“center” height=“20”>4000</td> <td align=“center”>65</td> <td align=“center”>110</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“center” height=“20”>8000</td> <td align=“center”>80</td> <td align=“center”>100</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> <td style=“width: 48pt;” width=“64”>
</td> <td style=“width: 48pt;” width=“64”>
</td><td style=“vertical-align: top;”>
</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“right” height=“20”> <table width=“135” border=“0” cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“0”><col style=“width: 54pt;” width=“72”> <col style=“width: 47pt;” width=“63”> <tbody><tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt; width: 54pt;” width=“72” align=“center” height=“20”>Frequency</td> <td style=“width: 47pt;” width=“63” align=“center”>Bone Conduction</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“center” height=“20”>250</td> <td align=“center”>35</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“center” height=“20”>500</td> <td align=“center”>40</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“center” height=“20”>1000</td> <td align=“center”>35</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“center” height=“20”>2000</td> <td align=“center”>45</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“center” height=“20”>4000</td> <td align=“center”>50</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> <td align=“right”>
</td> <td align=“right”>
</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“left” height=“20”>Thanks
Sarma
</td> <td align=“left”>
</td> <td align=“right”>
</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“right” height=“20”>
</td> <td align=“right”>
</td> <td align=“right”>

</td> </tr> <tr style=“height: 15pt;” height=“20”> <td style=“height: 15pt;” align=“right” height=“20”>
</td> <td align=“right”>
</td> <td align=“right”>
</td> <td align=“right”>
</td> <td align=“right”>
</td> <td align=“right”>
</td> <td align=“right”>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>