First impressions with Phonak Remote App and Audeo B Direct

phonak

OK, dumb question for the day: why do these Audeo B90 Direct aids need a phone app?

I’ve been wearing the Phonak Audeo B-Direct aids for a year now, and have never needed to install an app on my Samsung Galaxy9 cell phone.

I answer the phone by pressing a button on my LEFT aid (only ONE aid can stream calls to ONE ear); I can increase the volume on the call by using my cell phone OR the volume button on my aids. When my phone rings, it instantly streams to my left ear the minute I engage; hangs up the same way. If I dial out, the call immediately streams as soon as I dial the number.

I also have two sets of TV streamers: one is hooked up to my laptop, the other to my home TV. They stream stereophonically to both ears (which I LOVE!).

So what benefit is the phone app? Am I missing some key functionality? I’m not sure my Audeo B-Direct aids even have a phone app.

Hope you get this fixed and let us know what happened! I was thinking of both wax and then battery - both of which you ruled out. Even if the aids needed a firmware update, one aid should not fail utterly as you’ve experienced.

Could this be related to the phone app part of the equation?

You don’t need to use the phone app. However you might gain some extra functionality if you have tinnitus masking noise, then you’ll be able to adjust the balance between that and your environment.

There are also a few other settings that you can only adjust in the phone app, but it depends on your settings. It might be exactly the same as adjusting with the buttons on the hearing aid itself.

It is easy and risk free to check out. Download the app, connect and see if there is something there, that isn’t available otherwise :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t be the issue, however as previously stated i suspect that the my audeo b direct got more stable when i stopped using the hands free functionality. But I’m not sure. Even then it’s a feature you pay extra for, so why stop using it? Then rather get something else.

Or well I don’t pay directly for my hearing aids as they’re part of the public health care program in Denmark. But you lose some features to get direct functionality, so even then you “pay” the price…

I’m not aware of phonak making firmware updates. I’ve tried to search this forum, Oticon have updates, Signia have updates, but I’ve never read anywhere that Phonak aids can be updated. I also think that the new Widex Evoke can be updated… :confused:

You’re on a trail in Denmark as well, Its much shorter two months and I don’t wanna be stuck with some hearing aids that stopped working just weeks after getting them. So I’ll return them and try something else.

Phone app can be used to change programs, increase/decrease volume, mute the aids, and if you have the Speech Direct program you can change the focus to front, right, left, or rear (or 360). It is like a more functional remote control.

^^^ I guess the phone app would be used instead of my index finger placed on a button on either right or left aid, eh?

At the end of the day, fewer gizmos and gadgets are my goal - hence my happiness with the Audeo B-Direct, which requires no phone app nor a streamer device to stream to the cell phone. :wink:

INDEED! Phonak DOES have firmware updates! I got one on my aids last Sept and again just yesterday. I’m hoping the firmware update will remove some annoying bugs I’d been having with my Phonak Audeo B-Direct aids lately: 1.) phone calls were streaming with a LOT of static & noise - even dropouts; 2.) TV streaming was completely wonky the past 10 days; 3.) aids would just up and REBOOT for no reason! They just did this when I was on a long phone call. Verrrry irritating.

My aud-guy says hopefully yesterday’s firmware update will remove these issues. In fact, he said the key to knowing when to come in for my firmware update is when odd things start happening sporadically (not every time, every day) with my aids.

To which I countered: “Why not just send me an email notification to come in and have an update every X-months?” Ah, whatever! Fingers crossed my probs are resolved.

If you DO keep the Phonaks, don’t ask, INSIST on the firmware update. When the audiologist opens the software with your aids ID (the serial number) you will see the notice right away.

you do not need app because all you need is fixed directionality and appropriate noise reduction due to your loss and non ability to understand speech in noise with opn pardigm,
majority of falk use app to alter spatial change i usally do it since i need more accurate volume balance that not possible with rocker switch. + low freqeuncy loss + asymetrical one ear already has appropriate bass and treble but usally i do increase treble in right
more over in noisy i wont rely on my left just right since its good ear . lol

spontanous connection dropout is every where its part of Bluetooth unless google implement direct connection like MFI.

1Bluejay,
Everyone is correct that you do not have to have the phone app.
However, everyone is not set up the same. I do not use a TV Streamer. I let my wife take the TV controller (that’s hard) and she set the volume for her. Then if the volume is high or low for me I can adjust it more accurately with the app than I can with the buttons. Because of my work I have to keep the phone by me till I go to bed anyway. No extra inconvenience.
Also my right ear is the best and can actually answer phone calls at work with out a hearing aid to some point. Since the MIC’s are on top of the aid I have to take the receiver to the phone and position it just right over the mikes to hear anything. Hard to do and hear properly. I sell real estate and two days a week sit at the front desk and take calls. My desk pone is forwarded to my cell which goes to my hearing aids. Wonderful. At the front desk I cannot do this. I finally figured out I could raise and maximize the desk phone volume. Then go into the app and only raise the volume of the right ear to the max. It is enough to hear properly.
Therefore there are other reasons for the app than just raising and lowering the volume which the button does. Hopes this clarifies a little.

Also, I have been lucky I guess. I have never had either of my hearing aids disconnect and reconnect.
I have lost connection to the app in bad weather but have never lost connection with the aids themselves.

Why can’t you just update the hearing aids with your phone. Ofc you can’t answer that, but I hope Phonak will improve.

I’ve returned my Audeo B Direct, and I’ll try some Oticon OPN late next month instead.

@emil:
In this forum I have read that Phonak will introduce the new Phonak hearing aids in November.

I’m not sure when they’ll have them at the public health care in Denmark, even then; I would rather use something well tested than something so new, that nothing is known :wink:

From reading here, many have great experiences with Oticon OPN hearing aids. Some have had issues, but according to the forum they are either totally resolved, or mostly resolved with firmware updates. They also evolve around the MFi part, that I won’t use.

emil, my aud-guy never mentioned getting any app on my Samsung Galaxy S9 to run the Phonak Audeo B-Direct on. I tend to avoid downloading any app that would require an account at Google or some-such (hackable) cloud-based location. Ah well, I’m absolutely FINE with using just my index finger and a button on my aid for controlling the programs, volume, answering phone, etc., and will just have to reconcile going to my aud-guy once a year for the firmware updates, I guess.

GOOD LUCK with your next choice! Do let us know how it works for you! You are so very lucky to have a healthcare system to cover aids. Over here, the US insurance business model covers things like gastric bypass for folks but NOT a critical sense like one’s H E A R I N G.

To my eternal ire.