First day with HA's

Hello all, my name is John and I’m 62. I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while knowing that my hearing has deteriorated to the point that I cannot effectively do my job anymore. My wife and co-workers have just gotten use to talking loud around me and putting up with my “say again”. The phone is workable at full volume but in-person meetings were becoming impossible.

Well… today is my first day with HA’s. Wow, what a difference! The audiologist set 3 modes to start with; directional speech, noisy environment and distant speech for meeting rooms. Things sounded OK at the audiologist but when I drove away I noticed some wind noise so I changed to noisy environment… perfect no wind noise. Then I got home, I switched to directional speech mode before I got out of the car. I opened the car door and heard birds singing in the trees. My wife doesn’t get it, but I started to tear up… I haven’t heard a bird sing in decades. I figure that it will take some time to get use to all these new sounds but right now I just thank God for this miracle of technology.

The HA’s I got are Siemens Pure micon 7mi RIC. I didn’t know how I was going to deal with the cellphone and computer VIOP that I use for work. I’ve been using a Plantronics BT behind-the-ear. I had a conference call today and tried wearing the BT. It looked dorky but worked surprisingly well just wearing it over the left HA. I left the BT volume turned up as it normally is and the sound came into the HA microphone just fine.

Do any of you have suggestions for BT? Is the miniTec a good solution or are there other things to try? Also, what suggestions do you have for trying out different modes. The Siemens has 6 positions so I can try different settings. The audiologist has a good reputation for working with their customer and she told me it doesn’t matter how many times I come in, just as long as I’m happy with the settings.

I’ll have to post my numbers later. I forgot to ask the audiologist for the actual hearing loss numbers. All I have are the charts and they’re not easy to read an accurate number. I’m thankful for this forum and to those contribute. I’ve learned a great deal following some of the threads. God bless.

John

John,
Congratulations on getting the hearing aids! You will find over the next several days that there are many sounds you forgot about. My wife and I thought the birds had left our neighborhood prior to getting HA’s and we also thought toasters no longer had bells that sounded when they are done! Some of the things that are bothering you right now will get better as you get used to the HA’s. One thing to remember is “you have to hear things you don’t want to hear to hear things you do want to hear.”

I would look into getting the miniTec, you will find that hearing the phone in both ears is way better than hearing it in only one and it is also good for hearing the TV if other people are talking nearby or you still have problems hearing the TV with hearing aids. Big problem with HA’s is that they can tell the difference between live people and audio on the TV and give preference to live voice, but with the Bluetooth streamer you can give the preference back to the TV if you aren’t part of the conversation going on around you. Your audiologist may have a demo unit you can try for several days or a week to see if you like it. I personally would not get HA’s that didn’t have a Bluetooth streaming capability.

Fantastic! You didn’t realize how much you were missing, from the above. I am so pleased you finally decided to get HAs, and that you are having a good experience!

I’ve had my one HA for 2 weeks, it does take time for the brain to adjust to all the sounds coming in AGAIN!

I don’t have any info for you as to your questions. Just so glad you read you are amazed and pleased!

— Updated —

Fantastic! You didn’t realize how much you were missing, from the above. I am so pleased you finally decided to get HAs, and that you are having a good experience!

I’ve had my one HA for 2 weeks, it does take time for the brain to adjust to all the sounds coming in AGAIN!

I don’t have any info for you as to your questions. Just so glad you read you are amazed and pleased!

Hi John :slight_smile: I just got my siemens insios a week ago and they came with the minitek. I expected bluetooth experience similar to what I’ve had with bluetooth devices before (plantroics, blueant). I’ve found that the minitek is way better! More like surround sound. In phone mode most of the conversations are very good. I hear great regardless. One friend said it sounded like I was sitting right next to him. I have found the listening party hears more static when I am in an environment with a lot of electronics equipment, but they can still hear me ok. Streaming my music through my aids is awesome! I havn’t tried connecting it to my TV yet. I can now hear it with the tv volume set on 6 or 7 whereas I use to have it set on like 30+ to be able to understand everything. Glad that you have a good audiologist. Mine is like that too. Friday will be my 3rd tweaking session and neither of us expect it to be the last. Continued good luck to you! Hearing is so incredible!!!

Forgot to mention a couple other things with the minitek: It comes with a lanyard that can be removed. I have been clipping the tek to the collar of whatever I’m wearing. It’s a good snug clip so I’m not worried about it coming loose. Minitek is roughly 1.75 x 2.5 inches and is not an eyesore at all. Also, if you happen to have an android phone there is an app for the minitek that allows you to control through your cell phone and you can just keep the minitek stored in your pocket. I don’t use it too often yet but if I end up with several programs on the aids then it will be an advantage because you can directly choose the program you want through the phone app instead of having to cicle through programs on the minitek.

Thank you everyone for replying… It’s day 2 and so far so good. I had them in for about 13 hours yesterday and there was a little discomfort the last 1/2 hour before I took them out but not too bad.

Seb - I like your suggestion… I go back to the audiologist on Monday and I’ll ask if she has a loaner minitek that I can try out.

Patricia - I have an iPhone, not an Android. Maybe Siemens has Apple in the roadmap.

Freedom - Yes, I’m hearing new things all the time. Although I wasn’t prepared for the Niagara Falls sound of the toilet :wink:

— Updated —

Thank you everyone for replying… It’s day 2 and so far so good. I had them in for about 13 hours yesterday and there was a little discomfort the last 1/2 hour before I took them out but not too bad.

Seb - I like your suggestion… I go back to the audiologist on Monday and I’ll ask if she has a loaner minitek that I can try out.

Patricia - I have an iPhone, not an Android. Maybe Siemens has Apple in the roadmap.

Freedom - Yes, I’m hearing new things all the time. Although I wasn’t prepared for the Niagara Falls sound of the toilet :wink:

imo, the miniTek is the greatest thing since sliced bread…
I would suggest having him put the automatic program in a program #1 (default power on prog) you shouldn’t need to always be manually switching programs. BT phone will have to be in program #2. I always suggest the miniTek in program #3. then whatever floats your boat. I think you will find you will rarely need to go out of program #1 as it automatically switches between lots of programs depending on the situation.

go to the Siemens site and review all the stuff about the MiniTek before your visit so you can talk with him about how you will use it. if he has a miniTek to loan he should also have the matching tv transmitter as they are generally paired at the factory.

Just wait until you hear it rain!! HAHA!! WHOA!!!

Not sure if I’m in a minority or majority, but one of my programs is total mute. There are times during the day that I either anticipate loud noise, or just need a break from hearing, so instead of turning them off, I just switch them to mute (with my minitek). I LIKE “Mute” because then they become ear plugs!! :slight_smile:

A note or two about the mini-tek:
1.) It is the ONLY device that will communicate with your hearing aids. Your aids are NOT blue tooth capable. The Mini Tek IS. Other Blue tooth devices will not send what they receive to your hearing aids.
2.) The communication between the Mini Tek and your hearing aids is very close range. If you wish to stream sound in, you should wear the MT around your neck. If it’s in a pants pocket or clipped to your belt, you may experience loss of streaming in one ear just from moving around or turning your head.
3.) For phone streaming, the MT becomes your microphone, and anything rubbing against it (clothing) will create unwanted noise on the caller’s end. I hope someday they will reprogram the system so the phone itself remains the microphone. Seems silly having to hold the phone in one hand to dial a number then switch out for the MT to talk. But it works pretty well for TAKING calls since there’s an answer button on the remote itself.
4.) The MT’s belt clip is not very robust. I recommend keeping the lanyard on it and tucking the lanyard in a pocket or inside your pants, for safety. Losing an expensive remote is not how to have a fun day!

Congrats on the new HAs. My wife got hers yesterday and when she got home, I asked her how they were. Her response was “stop shouting”. Twas great news. :slight_smile: She is getting used to hearing all the sounds she has not heard for a while.

Doc - Thanks for the suggestion about setting the automatic program to #1. I’ll talk to the audiologist about it when I see her on Monday.

Moccsin - The minitek is definitely on my list of things to discuss with the audiologist. That’s an interesting idea, setting one of the programs to mute… I could see using it on a long airline flight.

you can mute the aids by holding one of the switches down for 3 or 4 seconds… then un-mute them the same way. have her turn on all the alarms and tones (including the extended stuff) and be sure one rocker is for VC and the other for PC.

— Updated —

you can mute the aids by holding one of the switches down for 3 or 4 seconds… then un-mute them the same way. have her turn on all the alarms and tones (including the extended stuff) and be sure one rocker is for VC and the other for PC.