Feedback suppression by Phonak vs Seimens

I am in the adjustment phase with a pair of Seimens Pure 700s and am experiencing difficult-to-eliminate feedback. This surprises me as I thought the latest firmware could eliminate that. Can someone compare Phonak feedback suppression with that of Seimens aids?

The Pure 700’s feedback manager is possibly one of the least good in today’s high end aids. Apparently this is fixed in the updated Pure 701 range. Phonak has a very good feedback manager, on par with some of the best from companies such as Starkey, whihc has arguably the best feebdack system. So essentially you can fit a greater high frequency loss with Phonak without feedback than with Siemens. I am hoping Siemens does indeed fix the problem as promised in the 701 range as their tech is otherwise quite good. This is only my opinion though.

your hearing loss is not that hard to fit, you should not have a feedback issues

I’m on my 2nd week of trying Phonak Audeo Smart V aids now and have never experienced any feedback. I’m going in today to buy either these or the Smart IX (or another new motorcycle, which might be cheaper).

Thanks for the laugh and good luck with your aids.

It wouldn’t be a Harley!

Just the sort of information for which I was looking, hearnow. I was originally recommended Exelia Arts then discovered I could get heavily discounted aids if I went to another audiologist (from whom I could get any of the top makes) and he recommended the Pure 700s as better technology at an even lower price. The 701s have been available at the same price for about a couple of weeks now. So, I think I will have to decide between the 701s and something from Phonak - probably Smart IXs, although these are more costly. I do not want aids that would leave me almost maxed out as my audiogram has deteriorated over the last five years and there is no reason to suppose that this will now stop.

Has it become the norm or acceptable that the feedback suppression will be working all or most of the time?

Ive had the Smart IX’s for about a month now and never had any feedback at all if that helps. Granted I have more mid-freq loss and no so bad on high.

I have had my Pure 700s for about a week and feedback has been a problem. I have discovered this is critically dependent on the position of the dome in the left canal which is sigificantly narrower than the right. With care, therefore, I can avoid it. Nevertheless, the way this model deals with feedback is not good - hair-trigger sensitive in my case. I am going to try a pair of Smart IXs on the 27th.

I have always thought that it was not good to have the feedback manager always working, and was just wondering if it was still the case. Some aids, Phonak I think, have different levels that you can set the manager, I sort of assumed you would not want to set it higher than necessary because it would distort the sound if overworked.

Faced with the alternatives of distorted sound or sounds completed overwhelmed by loud whistling, I would go for the distortion. Of course it would be best to be without either.

With which aid?

This was my reply to Shan who I think was speaking in generalities.

I have old Savias (not Arts). The feed back suppression was so intrusive and degraded the sound so much (even at the low setting) that I turned it off entirely and went to fully occluding molds. Sound was far better and since I have significant low frequency loss the resulting occlusion wasn’t as bad as you might expect.

Ideal, classic, fast-acting FB cancellation takes much more horsepower than hearing instruments processors have (even today). As a result today’s FB solutions (phase inversion etc.) are all compromises at best. Most appear to be poor ones.

That makes so much sense. My wife always suffered with feedback from older hearing aids. She still had some feedback with modern aids (Oticon Epoq XWs). But then we updated her custom molds to the new (soft inside/hard outside) molds. Click -> HERE. Problem solved. She doesn’t mind being occluded. It helps her hear.

Can you post a link to a source for the soft/hard earmolds? Thanks.

I got them through a local audiologist. I think the lab was Click -> EDI.

I am hoping Siemens does indeed fix the problem as promised in the 701 range as their tech is otherwise quite good. This is only my opinion though. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I am moved to comment here, hearnow. I am originally from the UK where quite good would mean something OK but not excellent. It was only after living in the US for several years that I realized that the usage here is quite different. :slight_smile: Here, quite means very (I have not discovered how to put quotation marks in a message yet).

It’s okay Barrie. We’re not even pissed! :wink:

and if you drive a “saloon” to work here, you would likely get fired :wink: or maybe I should say “sacked”