Feedback Management in ITE UP

Wondering what manufacturer has the best feedback managment for the custom ITE. I currently wear Resound Linx 3D ultimate power and have had resonable good results form it’s feedback/whistle control feature. However I do ocasstionally get a chirp with loud high frequency sounds as if the HA wants to feedback. I used to wear Starkey ITE but went to Resound for the direct streaming feature for the ITE HA. I will be looking to get new HA’s in a few months and was thinking of testing the Resound Quattro and the Phonak Virto Marvel. The both have ultimate power for severe/profound hearing loss. Was wondering if Phonak has a better feedback managment program vs Resound. Yes, I was asked to try the RIE/RIC style hearing aid which would better handle feedback, but I prefer the ITE style.

2 Likes

I wear Oticon ITE aids and I love them, I do not have as bad a hearing loss as you but I too prefer ITE aids. But I know that my next aids will be MiniRite aids. It is my choice to do so because I want to stay with the Oticon aids.

1 Like

Thanks…I heard that Oticon has good power hearing aids. I do alot of streaming/bluetooth connections so that feature along with feeback control would be on top of by list.

2 Likes

I have the OPN1 ITE aids at this time, and they connect great to iPhone, and with the connectclip they will connect to Android or almost any other bluetooth phone. I also have the TV connect, and a home phone connect that uses the connect clip to my aids so I can hear my home phone. With all of the stay at home now I am doing a lot of TV streaming, so battery life is down.

1 Like

I have been researching ITE UP aids to determine which one would best work for severe hearing loss. I have the Phonak Target software and took a look at the Virto M ITE specs and the feedback threshold in the mid-upper frequencies was not good. I did not run the feedback program since I do not have the HA. Does anyone know if the feedback threshold changes(gets better) after running the feedback program? I have a higher feedback threshold with my ITE Resound Linx 3D. Unfortunately Starkey does not currently have ITE HA with direct streaming for I hear they have one of the best feedback canceling programs. I have seen research papers(white papers) form manufacturers on feedback canceling. They compare there HA against others manufactureres HA but they will not tell you which HA they are comparing to. When asked they tell you the company names but not which one was brand A, brand B, etc. Simple question, when well fitted, what manufacturers has the best feedback canceling program? Maybe the answer is not simple due to the changing technolgoy. Any thoughts?

All I can safely say is what my Audi told me. That if my hearing gets much worse, I will have to go to the MiniRite or a BTE hearing aid so I can have the speech understanding that I want. This is all due to feedback. My issue it seems my hearing loss in the mid range frequencies, and the fact that I still have a fair amount of low and high frequencies that I can hear, even though I am losing the battle and I am losing more of both. I need some venting, and feedback is an issue due to the closeness of the reciever and the mics. So I have pretty much been told that my next aids are going to be a MiniRite pair of aids. And I will say this I have worn Oticon for over 10 years and I am use to the sound so I will be staying with Oticon.

Welcome to the forum.
Sharing your audiogram would help us help you.

Phonak has the reputation of having the best feedback control of hearing aids. That might be hard to prove though. I have worn Phonak for many years and never had feedback issues.

The key to feedback is having properly fit acoustics along with properly sized aids for the hearing loss.
Your thread is titled ITE UP. That stands for in the ear ultra power I would guess. I have never heard of an ultra power in the ear aid. As cvkemp has stated, his hearing loss is borderline for ITE aids. At 80 dB loss this is pushing ITE aids for him. Seems I remember ITE aids getting up to around 90 dB loss when properly fit. This area of loss is getting into the RIC and BTE aids.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I have been wearing ITE Ultra Power(matrix 130/70) hearing aids for the last eight years basically with Starley hearing aids for five of those years. Then I switched to Resound ITE UP for the direct streaming. I agree that the best fit would be with a RIC or a BTE but I do prefer the ITE. Yes it is a challenge to get a good fit without feedback with a ITE HA. I have had success in doing so and my hearing loss has been the same for the last six years. I am currently wearing Resound ITE UP Linx 3D and have had good success with the fit. But the Phonak Virto Marvel had been the lastest technology and wandering if I can be fitted with the ITE. When simulating the fit on the programming software the target gain was above the feedback threshold(this is with not running the feedback program since I do not have the HA). I do not have that issue wtih Resound(but I run the feedback program since I have the HA). After all is said and done maybe best to try the new Resound Quattro ITE UP. The gain target in both the Phonak and Resound have some head room for increase gain for further hearing loss.

My audiogram reading is:
R and L
250=50
500=65
750=75
1000=85
1500=85
2000=85® 80(L)
3000=90
4000=90

1 Like

For me that has self programmed since 2011 with Phonak Target, the real feedback test for me is always better then the anticipated feedback.

1 Like

I have always dealt with feedback by accepting it, and not letting it bother me. I do not do self programing and have not cared to do so. I am someone that will keep Audi’s and myself’s feet to the fire to get my aids the way they should be. I have had Audis that do not want to deal with me, and that is okay for the feeling is mutual. The great Audis are the ones that listen and they care about their patiences. The good ones will hang in there to help the best they can, and the others will tell you that is the best it gets.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your audiogram.
I also took a look at your current aids at the Resoundpro website. They do put UP receivers in there ITE aids. You mentioned your hearing loss is stable so all is good in my amateur opinion. Resound make good aids as does Oticon and Phonak. If you use an iPhone any of these aids should directly connect to them. If you use an android phone the Phonak will also connect directly to it. Three good choices.

1 Like