Feedback Home Remedies

Feedback - Home Remedies

a) Test for a fit problem by pressing the hearing aid tighter into your ear with your finger or the eraser end of a pencil (make sure you don't cover the microphone. If pressing it in or adjusting the angle stops the feedback, this indicates a fit problem. Although, if the feedback does not stop, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is not  a fit problem. 

b) Also try plugging the vent temporarily with putty or tape. If this helps, the fit may be a problem.

c) Try putting Keri lotion or Vaseline around the canal of the hearing aid before inserting it. If it is a small gap, this sometimes helps.

d) Old time hearing aid dispensers used to put a coating of clear finger nail polish on the canal portion of hearing aids to make them fit slightly snugger.

e) An ugly, but effective solution for very loose hearing aids is "[Poligrip-comfort seal strips](http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=Poligrip-comfort+seal+strips&x=0&y=0)". If it doesn't work, they can be removed.

f) Try Comply Soft Wraps. The Comply Soft Wrap is a strip of foam with an adhesive backing to stick onto hearing aids or ear molds. It reduces feedback and improves retention for hearing aids that are too loose.

g) Sometimes the best solution is getting a new ear mold or shell made. Check availability and prices locally for this, or find a hearing aid repair lab online. If you do go the online route, you might save money by getting an impression kit online also, rather than going local. HOWEVER, it is always the safest option to have your local professional take the impression and there are risks involved with taking your own. Plus, you will probably get a higher quality impression from an audiologist.

This is an excerpt from the longer article Whistling Hearing Aids - How to Stop the Embarrassment

This is a great article. My father always suffered when he was still alive; these are great tips for anyone. More importantly, it is best to see a professional to play it safe so you don’t accidentally damage your ear.

Excellent home remedy advice. I would add: Sometimes, feedback can be caused by frayed / faulty tubing. This is very easy to fix but may need a sharp eye to see. Ear mold tubing is known to get rigid and brittle with age.

Very true Kretsh. If it is a BTE, tubing is the first thing to check, along with the earhook.

It is important to see a professional, and equally important to take care and use common sense when using any home remedy on your hearing aid for your own health reasons and your hearing aids health.

Although, I can’t fully agree with the need to always see a professional (and I am a professional myself). There are many people whose “professional” either 1) refuses to help them fix their old aid in the self interest of selling them a new instrument, 2) are lacking the appropriate knowledge and skill to help them, or 3) charge an outrageous fee to fix the problem.

In these situations I don’t think there is a problem with the user taking the issue into their own hands (or finding an online repair lab that will charge a reasonable fee, although this can also be difficult since they do not have someone work with them on the issue face to face).

Of course in this situation of the user modifying their aid, they should assume full responsibility for any damages, while using their best judgment on their technical capabilities.

Do any hearing aid users have an opinion on these matters?