Fear of flying

I haven’t been on a flight in about 10 years now and I have no thoughts of flying again.

I’m not sure you can use Live Transcribe for subtitles, since the audio has to be exposed/heard by the mobile phone for Live Transcribe to work. In most cases, you need to use the headphones provided by the airline, and this is plugged-in to the seat. I’m not aware if there are other options.

The airlines out of Canada now seem to be going to a wireless entertainment system that requires you bring your own tablet, or your reading glasses and your cell phone! And for us hearing aid users I don’t think we can get the sound if we actually put the phone in Airplane mode – which kills Bluetooth.

Right. I didn’t think of that. Wi-Fi is probably not available on most airplanes too.

I haven’t tried Live Transcript app by using a headphone next to phone. Turning up the headphones will not work because the next passenger can hear it. I would try a streamer device plugged into plane audio jack to hear the sounds. I can lipread movie screen depending on distance.

It is not true Wi-Fi in that I think one is just connecting to a local area network running on the plane, but by using the Wi-Fi wireless feature in your device. Will be flying in a couple of days and will try it out. My issue is going to be that I need to turn on my Bluetooth to get the sound to my aids, and I am not sure that is legal…