Failed Naida Paradise 90 UP Microphone

Just wondering if anyone has encountered a failure on their Naida P90 BTE internal Mic, 14 months I have had these aids, and apart from getting a good mold fit, this is my first failure of any components…. The aids are still functioning, except on the right hand side there is no sound, cleaned/checked the tubing, and molds, zip, zero sound, assuming it must be the internal Mic that has gone? I was kinda worried I would lose the Type 2 Roger X receiver license if it was dead, but no it was functioning, and I was able to remove the license from the Right aid, via the Roger X installer, before I take it back to the A.uD for repair/replacement, anyone else had a Mic failure in these aids? Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

@kevels55

Have you got a blocked ear hook?

That is quite often the issue.

They can be bought from www.hab.online if it’s quicker then waiting for an appointment.

3 Likes

The easiest way to trouble shoot no sound is to first check the mic function by rubbing the hearing aid case while wearing it. If it is noisy when you rub the case, the mics are working but are plugged. If that does not narrow it down, unscrew the ear hook while the aid is turned on and listen for feedback. If you get feedback, the problem is downstream from the receiver (plugged mold, earhook filter, tubing or earhook). If neither of those work it is time for a repair.

5 Likes

Yes @Zebras, nice one, thank you, the white damper was jammed in solid, so I removed both left and right damper’s, and we are now cooking with gas again, aids are back to normal :upside_down_face: never ever in 30 + years have I encountered this problem before with BTE’s, you learn something new every day…. I am much obliged for your kind help :grin: Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you @gorgeguy, good to know, I am much obliged, twas indeed the ear hook…. Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

@kevels55

I’ve never had an issue with the ear hooks.

Since 2008 when the Phonak Naida III, V, IX came out. There’s been many issues of blocked ear hooks from many people complaining.

I actually have a spare set of ear hooks with me in my bag for work in case they block.

I’m not sure if Phonak had those white filters in them before 2008, I can’t remember that far back.

EDIT - just be aware now you’ve taken the filters out that moisture can now travel into your hearing aids.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks so much!
DAve

2 Likes

It could be an ear wax blockage. Otherwise the aid should still be under warranty

2 Likes

‘‘Twas the ear hook @hass5744, the white damper had swollen up solid, and blocked the the ear hook, so much so, there was no sound getting through, never ever had that problem before…… Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

@kevels55 @Zebras Do you have to replace the ear hook with or without the damper?
I got these for my brother, but with the damper:
https://www.connevans.co.uk/product/14689248/3P0098/Phonak-HE11-680--filtered--Standard-hearing-aid-earhook

Thx

2 Likes

@Baltazard

Most of the time with the damper but the Aids can be programmed to be used without the damper and actually provide more gain without the damper. They come from Phonak with the damper.

Just be aware that moisture can get into the hearing aids if you don’t have one in your ear hook.

If you need more ear hooks, it’s cheaper here as free p&p.

4 Likes

@Zebras Thank you. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

On that web site: Category: Bits and Bobs

lol

WH

3 Likes

Ear hooks are pretty easy to change. Just a matter of unscrewing the old one and screwing in a new one. Sounds like moisture may have somehow gotten into the ear hook. Your audiologist should be able to fix the problem pretty easily

3 Likes

Just had mine sent in for repair, only 8mths old.
I noticed my Right not hearing everything clearly, when doing a speech test for potential CI a couple of weeks ago.
And my Audi confirmed it trying to do a REM on the new moulds. So I sent them both in.
The REM showed a massive reverse fall-off from 1K to 125hz.

3 Likes

Thank you @hass5744 …. For me, overlay simple to change, I wouldn’t waste my A.uD’s time by even asking, I will email her for some spare ear hooks, she can just mail them…. ‘twas common practice for me to change ear hooks, and tubing when I worked with “Deaf Services”, a social work service for hearing impaired. Could have been the white damper in the ear hook was partially closed/swollen by moisture @BrBarry, causing a noticeable reduction in sound level, in your one aid? My damper on the right aid was completely closed (probably through moisture, kindly suggested by @Zebras) and jammed into the top of the ear hook, rendering the aid inoperable, with no sound whatsoever…. Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

l removed the dampers to get more gain and l have a phonak hearing aid dryer so moisture won’t build up and l remove the ear hooks before putting them in the hearing aid dryer.

3 Likes

Definitely not that. It sounded like only 1 mic was working, sounded like 1 person standing to my far right (very narrow voice pickup), and he was actually only sitting 1 meter away on my left.
If it was a blockage, you would still get full radial sound, but very muffled, or almost no sound altogether.

We were doing Speech test, at the point 1 ear at a time.

2 Likes

No worries @BrBarry, hopefully whatever the problem is, you get it fixed or most likely, Phonak will swap out the offending aid for a new one… It seems to be the case, that most of the major hearing aid manufacturers, do not actually repair, tis probably cheaper for them to just replace any faulty aids? Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Where are the dampers located?

I have Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s and use the medium domes on the ear hooks.

DaveL
Toronto