Failed attempt to make a CS44A Phonak converter cable

The goal is to buy a Mini-DIN 6-pin extension cable, open the cable (i.e. at mid-point) and reverse the wires connected to pins 3 and 4.

This attempt failed because the Mini-DIN 6-pin extension cable did not have 6 wires. It only had 4 wires.

Just thought I would post this failure in case your project has failed for similar reasons.

****Sorry Pictures got lost ****

Here’s the Mini-DIN 6-pin extension cable. Note that it has the same cable connections as a computer keyboard or mouse.

Tools - Cutting Pliers and Wire Stripper:

These were too small for the Wire Stripper. I stripped these manually:

Testing Continuity/Ohms with a multimeter to find out which wire is connected to which pin. I bought this cheap multimeter at Harbor Freights for $2.

Finally, here’s my reason for failure. The pin connections matched the Standard CS-44 Cable Connections chart except for the Black wire (see picture below). I can reverse green/white wires, but that will leave me without a pin#2 connection. Drat! I have to start with a cable that has 6 wires, not 4.

You can use cables from Logitech PS-2 mouse. Some models have 5 wires, some have 6. You can keep the mouse plug at one end and you can solder a PS-2 socket at the other end. You will certainly find several old PS-2 mouses for free and you can keep two different pairs of converter cables. A “straight” pair for Siemens and a “cross” pair for Phonak.

I did have a success when starting with a six-wire cable. Click -> HERE.

btw> You don’t need a “straight” pair of converters. You could use it, but it serves no purpose. It’s the same as using a CS44 cable without a converter. In other words (Pin1=1, Pin2=2, Pin3=3, Pin4=4).

If your CS-44 cables are 2 m. long, you don’t need straight converters, indeed. But I found a very short pair of CS-44, they are only 40 cm. long and the idea of using two pairs of converters was very helpful. Moreover, the mouse cables are far more durable than CS-44 and yet they are flexible enough.

OIC, a pair of converters to cross Pins 3&4 for Phonak, and a pair of extensions for short cables. Now I understand.

Also a reminder to readers that this thread is about a failed attempt. For the successful version, Click -> HERE.