'Face Mask Mode' Now Offered in Signia Hearing Aids - Hearing Review

I’m surprised this hasn’t been posted yet. One thing I find terribly annoying is that “TV” hasn’t bothered to re-EQ the sound channels for presenters wearing masks. If you are recording or transmitting lengthy audio of someone wearing a mask, it would be a simple task to A:B and re-eq the mic. By ear even.

1 Like

Hopefully more manufacturers will join in.

1 Like

Face Mask Mode appeared on my Signia app a couple of weeks ago. Seems to only available in Universal mode.

This is a great new.
I’m trying to find the button without success. I would like to find which devices are supported?

Do you use the Signia app?

Yes, and it’s updated.

Though I give points to Signia for advertising their “Face Mask Mode” does anyone really think a hearing aid is going to function that much different in regular mode, versus face mask mode? Come on. And exactly how do you program a HA to deal with a mask muffling sounds, versus unobstructed conversation? And then are we going to see Face Shield mode, or Neck Gaiter Mode, etc?

Keep it simple and just test/purchase a hearing aid that helps you with normal conversation (un masked) and then background noise. And forget those aids that count steps, call 911 when you bend over to tie your shoes, or take your blood pressure.

2 Likes

I have the app, but can’t find the face mask mode button…

1 Like

It may well be gimmicky marketing, but it’s obvious that some tweaks in the EQ at least would help with the attenuated frequencies. One problem for sure is that each mask type will be slightly different, so it would be hard to hit a sweet spot that adds some midrange without risking feedback or harshness. I would guess any audio professional could guesstimate the attenuation caused by masks.

@spectrumplay Always so negative…You can see in the spectrum analysis in the following study just how speech is degraded by medical masks and what Signia could be doing to compensate. It’s pretty straightforward. Will it be perfect? Absolutely not; you’re still losing the visual reference.

3 Likes

“The data show that each mask essentially serves as a low-pass filter, attenuating the high frequencies (2000-7000 Hz) spoken by the wearer, with the decibel (dB) level of attenuation ranging from 3 to 4 dB for a simple medical mask and close to 12 dB for the N95 masks.”

I wish they would have plotted the frequency response of the difference. Like, so the actual subtraction of the original and mask(x). It seems surprisingly flat, in that you could simply bump up the volume, if not for the ambient sound going up with it.

I don’t get out much these days. I’ve had wife wear her homemade cloth mask and the standard blue paper mask. I can tell hear a change.

https://www.signia-pro.com/blog/signia-new-mask-mode-feature/

Which app? I’m using My Control.

The new Mask Mode button is visible to all users of the Signia app with a Signia Xperience hearing aid with Bluetooth connectivity and an Android 6.0 or iOS 11 operating system or higher.

Thank you. My HAs are Signia Pure, 3 yrs old. Guess they don’t support these anymore. :cry:

Frequency Response:

https://www.entandaudiologynews.com/features/audiology-features/post/the-challenges-of-facemasks-for-people-with-hearing-loss

If you are wondering about the mask types:

Article: N95 vs FFP3 & FFP2 masks - what's the difference?

Not negative Phobos - a realist. Can you tell the difference??? I understand there are some here that want to pump hearing aids with lots of bells and whistles. I have no problem with that. I also think (and know) the majority of HA manufacturers (like grantb5 stated) use gimmicky marketing to pump their new aids over last year’s aids. I seriously doubt any professional audiologist would recommend Signia hearing aids, just because they suddenly came out with a mask mode program. On the basis that there are too many other hearing aid features that rank substantially higher on users needs, then some unproven program mode that deals with masks.

Keep in mind that an ideal face mask mode would very much depend on the specific attenuation properties of the mask. A HF boost generally helps across the board.

Interesting that the plastic shield has a resonant frequency (I assume) around 800Hz.

I wish my audiogram had this many data points.