Experiment: I'm turning the Bluetooth off

Hi, all. I want to share an experiment I will be doing on myself. It is not the most rigorous study since there are many variables I am not controlling for, which is why I am also sharing it with you, so that maybe I can find other people with the same experience and perhaps make my hypothesis more plausible.

During the last few months, I have felt mentally off. I am not sure what it is but I am wondering if the fact that the bluetooth on my hearing aids making it much easier for me to switch contexts many times a day has actually had a dizzying effect on my mental health.

I am a student so I have to watch after my own productivity. This means that I can switch off work whenever I like. I can always get very quickly immersed into any audiovisual content that calls my attention from any device. Granted, I certainly lack discipline, but the fact is that the convenience these devices offer end up making the allure harder to resist.

As a consequence, I think I am watching and listening to much more content than I used to. Between podcasts, youtube videos and voice notes from friends, the supply of entertainment is endless. So that could be one of the causes: constant context switching and distraction. Another possibility is that, even if the quantity has remained constant compared to before to having bluetooth on my hearing aids, the sound is so much better so that it is also better at keeping me enthralled, or it could just simply be that the volume is too loud.

In any case, these could be far off theories, but I think I will be better off by switching off the bluetooth on my hearing aids anyway. I will only listen to content through speakers or if I want the best sound, I’ll take my hearing aids off and put on my Bose headset. From the perspective of the experiment, the worst case is my mental health getting better, so I wouldn’t be able to confirm whether being connected to bluetooth is harmful. A better result would be that I don’t see any improvements, so that I could dismiss the hypothesis.

1 Like

Since you’re aware of a problem a little self control might help

2 Likes

I think it’s time to see a professional if you believe it’s affecting your mental health.

1 Like

@tenkan: Would you let me get away with a reply like that?

I didn’t think so …

2 Likes

Well maybe not…but I’m not serious of course.

Is the Bose headset Bluetooth? You might run into the same issue then?

Long covid???

1 Like

@tenkan: I’m not sure what the OP is saying is a laughing matter … hence my reacion.

1 Like

Well I laughed but then again it wasn’t directed at me. For a change. But in all seriousness maybe intervention of some kind of professional help would be better and could be explained better than running experiments on oneself. I’m not qualified in any way to run tests on myself regarding mental health

1 Like

@hass5744: Yeah, I agree, but there are ways if saying it - like you just did.

Well I’m far from perfect. I admitted that I laughed. And have been accused in the past of not always being sensitive to someone’s comments. Like spud said. It wasn’t meant to be taken seriously. So be it

@hass5744: Actually, it was @tenkan that said that …

It doesn’t matter. We’re kind of getting off track here. I wish the op the best

1 Like

I think the OP is onto something. Too much distraction, grasshopping from context to context, chasing after more content, etc. has an agitating (or exhausting, or…etc.) effect on our mind and moods.
I think his experiment is a good one.

2 Likes

I think it’s called life. But whatever. I wish him the best.

2 Likes

Exactly, it’s not hard to avoid these situations anyway.

I like the experiment. Keep us posted.

2 Likes

I am unclear what the OP means by “switching Bluetooth off”. Maybe he means put them into flight safe mode. That might turn the hearing aids’ Bluetooth off. Or maybe he means turning Bluetooth on his phone off, so his phone can’t communicate with it control his hearing aids.

This isn’t necessarily the same thing. It depends what the aids are. But often modern hearing aids use Bluetooth to allow the two aids to work together, to handle noise cancellation or focussing. And if you change programme or volume with one then Bluetooth is used to make the other one follow.

Anyway I can’t see the point of what he is trying to be honest. But if he can use headphones without his aids to listen to high quality music, then he doesn’t have a serious hearing loss.

A lot of give and take here from members but nothing but silence from the op. Maybe we’re wasting our time.

@hass5744: I get reamed out every time I do it, but - have you looked at his usage numbers? You may be right …

My working hypothesis is that there’s a goldmine of information (that represents a lot of helping work by members) at our fingertips in the Forum, and anyone who is serious about getting answers for their issues is doing a bit of reading. Perhaps they need some help to find what’s relevant, but there should be at least some evidence of an effort on their part.

Quite a few seem not to subscribe to that hypothesis … (but that’s just one opinion, and I’m not going to argue the point)

2 Likes