Expectations for a new user

I’ve got moderate mid/upper range hearing loss (sorry, I do not currently have my results to post, will get those). Am now at a point where I have a lot of trouble hearing women in a conversation, or just about anyone if they are not facing towards me. A major plugged feeling and a lot of ringing. All tests indicate there’s no pressure or fluid or follicle damage, it’s all nerve related hearing loss and I’m now getting hearing aids for the first time. We just ordered the Oticon Dual XW RITEs.

My question is, how difficult is the adjustment period? Assuming the initial fit is reasonably good, am I going to notice an improvement right away? I realize this isn’t like getting glasses to correct near sightedness and I don’t expect to put these on and have perfect hearing but obviously I’m looking for improvement.

I could get them delivered and fit on Friday but I leave Saturday for a 3 day conference. Without them I’m going to have a lot of trouble hearing, but I’m concerned about getting HA’s and then leaving town the next day. But I guess I could always just take them off if they are problematic.

Anyway, just trying to level set expectation. I appreciate any input on this, thanks!

You should see some immediate improvement in your hearing. Hearing sounds you haven’t heard in years can be tiring. If you get tired then remove them for awhile and recuperate. You can replace them when you’re feeling better. Just remember you must wear them to get used to them.

Good luck with your new HAs.

The first 20 minutes will be VERY loud & weird.

The next 20 minutes should be a lot better.

After that you should be OK - but will still be noticing lots of overwhelming sounds - especially newspapers, toilet cisterns etc.

You might initially notice an ‘echo’ … don’t worry about this, it should wear off in a day or so.

Loud sounds might also be overwhelming in the first day or two.

Depending on your loss, you might find road & tyre noise very unpleasant - this can be a nuisance for several weeks in some cases.

After about three days of full-time wear your brain will suddenly ‘tune in’ and the aids will appear to go quiet and/or lose their initial ‘sparkle’ … but they will still be working fine.

Do NOT be tempted to ask for too much fine tuning or major volume reduction on Day One. It’s pointless until you have several days of using the aids.

conejo61 said in part…

As a fairly new (6 months now) owner/wearer myself, I found the biggest thing that amazed me was thinking about the sounds of every day common things that I wasn’t able to hear in the past.

How often does one really hear (and then think about) the water as it’s being flushed down the toilet or coming out of the kitchen faucet? As a normal hearing person (as I was many years ago), I would be in the above situation (flushing toilet etc.) and not think about the sounds I heard because they were normal life sounds that I had been use to hearing on a every day basis.

As a new HA owner/wearer what you will find that happens (at least it did with me), is sounds that you weren’t able to hear before will become interesting to listen to (and for). I know the first few days with my new HA’s I went out of my way to do things that I normally wouldn’t just to hear what it was like.

Where we live there’s a woods that’s adjacent to our property. In the past when walking in the woods I used the well worn dirt path, but after first getting my HA’s I went out of my way to walk off the beaten path just so I could hear the leaves crackling and the small twigs snapping.

The same also took place in the house. For awhile my wife thought I had a thing going with light switches, doors, faucets and toilets :wink: but after the newness wore off in a few hours things reverted back to normal (if anything can be considered normal in my life :wink: :smiley: ).

The other thing you need to realize is it’s going to take a period of time for your brain to re-register sounds to actions and then store them in memory. After awhile sounds that are new to you will become second nature to your brains memory and will no longer have that newness to them. That’s good though. It just means that you and your brain/memory are becoming more accustomed to sounds.

Also, at some point in time, you’ll get to the point where wearing your HA’s will become a after thought in that you’ll hardly realize you’re wearing them.

I know this probably doesn’t answer your question… but I hope it puts a little insight into being a new HA owner/wearer.

Shi-Ku Chishiki

ShiKu.Chishiki@Gmail.com

I enjoyed reading your post and the replies because I, too, am very new. In fact, I had expected to get my hearing aids today, but there was not enough time to get a proper fit-- so it will be next week (I earlier posted the thread that “Today is the day,” but it turned out not to be today). I am both anxious and excited–anxious about what this new experience will bring, and excited to anticipate improvement in my hearing. My hearing test is the typical “ski slope” configuration. My audiologist has recommended the Widex Passion 115s for my hearing loss, and I will be allowed a 45-day trial period. And I am like you in another respect–I am scheduled to get my hearing aids next Tuesday, and I begin an important conference on Wednesday (the next day), but I plan to wear mine and use this opportunity to give them a real trial. This will probably tell me more about what they can do than anything else I could have done! After you have worn yours a few days, give us a report. I will try to do the same.

May want to toss them the first few days and then you will protect them with your life.

hey folks, thank you SO much for the responses, greatly appreciated.

Someone mentioned car/road noise. This is a concern for me, these kinds of noises. If I do get them Friday (still waiting to hear back from the audi), I get on a plane Saturday morning. I’m concerned that it’s going to make the roar deafening, those kinds of issues.

But I’m anxious to get started down this path. Had spent the last year trying to find some alternative means of improving my hearing, I just constantly feel plugged up like when on a descending airplane with a lot of pressure and ringing, but all my hearing tests show no fluid or pressure issues so I’m finally resigning myself to the concept of nerve related hearing loss and now want to make the best of it.

If anyone else has any experience they’d like to share, I’d love to hear it and I will certainly post my experience after getting them. Thanks again.

If you have “manual” volume control on your hearing aids, you could turn the volume down (or turn off the hearind aid) when you anticipate/experience a really loud noise…until you can get used to the noise(s). I did this a lot in the beginning when I got my current aids, especially when flushing the toilet in a public bathroom.:eek: Or, sometimes (still), I switch my aids to t-coil/telecoil, which turns off the mic, but keeps the volume set so I don’t have to adjust the volume when I turn the mic back on.

I’m getting the Oticon Dual XW RITEs and my understanding is I can manually adjust volume using the Streamer that comes with it. I’ll be keeping that handy, for sure.

one question: when watching TV now we use close captioning. at just slightly louder than average volume I can make out probably about half or more of what is being said, but I miss enough that close captioning has been a blessing.

With hearing aids, am I going to be able to not have to use cc to watch TV?

I’m a new user. The Ha’s have helped watching TV a lot, that being said I still sometimes rewind the DVR and turn on the CC.

I’ve apparently been hard of hearing all my life. This was found out some 40 years ago. And only got HAs a couple of months ago.

The above has made hearing loss and hearing in general somewhat a hobby of mine. I notice the average hearing well person doesn’t seem to worry as much about missing some things during a TV show as I do. For them the CC helps too. Go figure.

During college I had credits for a watching a movie produced by I think it was ATT before the breakup. The movie was mostly about how to be a good listener and speaker. It was interesting and usefull. On the listening side they say a typical person listens about 60 percent of the time. So if one has a 40 percent loss (ok depending on a lot of factors such as where the loss is and noise levels Etc Etc Etc) as I do if I try to listen more I’m pretty close to this average person. Without the HAs. Now with em watch out!!!

On the road noise issue. I have my HAs setup with a music program that reduces this somewhat. It works pretty well. But now I’m wondering if I’m slowing my overall adjustment to stuff down by using this? I also use a simular speach program for when I’m working in the factory (lots of robot placing parts noise). I’m noticing that I don’t use either special program as much as I did at first.

Anyway I ramble on too much…

It certainly depends on your loss. I think most HI people are more challenged in hearing speech reproduced on a TV then a live talker. I will also add that my wife and older child (who have fine hearing) frequently have the CC on.

good stuff, thanks guys.

Rescheduled my fitting, getting my instruments tomorrow morning. Will post tomorrow afternoon with initial thoughts. But the feedback here has been great. And I read another thread on this, too, somewhere. The basic advice seems to be:

for 3 days, just wear ‘em all the time and minimize volume adjustments if possible. Don’t freak or whine or complain during those three days, just wear them and experience them and give myself and my brain time to adjust.

After 3 days, start writing down observations for my audi and then if I feel something’s amiss, maybe make an appointment for 7-10 days after the initial fitting.

Sound about right?

That three days advice is just one possibility. I could not have followed it, my environments were too loud and my aids were not yet that well adjusted.

Kind regards,

Leia

OK, just got them!

I’ll cut to the chase and say I’m excited and I think these are a really good thing for me. Again, I got the Oticon Dual XW RITEs. When they were initially fit, the audi’s voice sounded fine but my own voice sounded horrible, really tinny on certain syllables/sounds, fine on others, with a bit of an echo. For example, the word “certain” sounded fine but the word “get” would produce this tinny raspy sound. She made a few adjustments and that is better. Still there, but better.

But wow, I’m hearing a LOT of things I wasn’t hearing before I got them. For example, just on checkout I’m hearing this clicking sound. Turned out to be the pendulum clock hanging on the wall behind the receptionist. I DEFINITELY didn’t hear that before the HA’s.

Haven’t been in much of a challenging environment yet. Did go to the grocery store to pick up a few things and was able to hear the check out clerk pretty clearly. The radio in the car was fine, road noise didn’t seem to be any more of an issue than before.

one of the first things I actually noticed was when I walked out of the building to my car, I was literally blown away by the sound of birds chirping in the trees. It was almost deafening. I hadn’t realized how much that had been muted.

Getting in a plane tomorrow, little concerned about that but can always adjust volume down. So, my initial feedback is so far so good. It’s definitely a bit overwhelming, hearing a lot of stuff I wasn’t hearing before so my brain is doing more processing work, but that’s offset by not having to strain to hear. I had my wife turn away from me and speak softly and I could hear her, something I couldn’t do before.

Looking forward to getting used to these puppies and playing with the Streamer device. Already took a call using it and it worked beautifully, but still haven’t figured out how to use it to listen to music on my iPhone.

And FYI, I added a signature with my hearing test data. Sorry if it doesn’t come out cleanly, I was just picking the numbers off the chart and laying out what I saw there.

Hi
I am in Australia and this is a first for me. I am looking at getting the Oticon Duals too and am very interested to hear your findings. I am still at a stage where I could change my mind about which hearing aids to get. My audiologist recommended the Siemens Pure but I have read better things about the Oticon Duals. What made you decide on the Duals?
I will include my hearing test results with my next post but suffice to say it is about 50 between the 1k and 6k mark.

Cheers
Helen

hi Helen, I got the Duals because my audi said that for my most typical hearing environments, I needed the directional support the Oticon products provided (either the Epoq or Dual).

I run a clinic where we do posturally corrective exercise therapy. We work with people who are in pain and we analyze their posture to determine where their body is out of position, then give them exercises designed to restore postural balance and integrity. So, after an initial time privately in my office, my client and I will then move to our therapy floor where I will be doing therapy with a client maybe 8-10 feet away from someone else doing therapy with a client, who is 8-10 feet away from our third therapist doing therapy with a client. It is critical for me that I be able to clearly hear my client more clearly and that the other conversations are not overly amplified.

She felt that the Oticon products would be by far the best fit for this environment. I’ve been traveling since getting them fitted on Friday so haven’t been back in my clinic to test that environment yet, will report back.

Had my most challenging hearing environment yet, though. We’re having our annual corporate meetings and afterwards we all went out and were on a large veranda talking. About 30 of us in close quarters, very noisy, with a bit of wind. I could clearly hear the person next to me, but if they were about 5 feet away and talking I had a lot of trouble hearing them. If I moved just a little closer, it got much better.