Excessive Ear Wax

Excessive ear wax is still a very big problem. I know that age can be a cause, but I can’t do much about that!

I have several ear wax removal tools, which simply do not work, and reading reviews of the suction type, which I think should work, are confusing. With about ten good reviews, and then two bad ones, make me think someone is not being truthful.

How do you remove yours?

Many thanks for any ideas.

Go to your local audiologist and get it professionally Microsuctioned out.

1 Like

Hi Umbongo.

Not easy in the present situation. It has been done before, but some days the wax blocks the HA tube several times, as the wax seems to be very soft.

What type of ear moulds do you have?

I found hard ear moulds made my left ear produce yellow soft goo but when I changed to a soft ear mould, my ear didn’t produce anything and it all cleared up.

A few years later, I tried hard ear moulds again and again my left ear produced yellow soft goo. Changed it back to soft mould and it cleared up.

That’s a fair point, but after seeing the bruising caused by one of those twirly sticks first hand, I’d advocate not having a go yourself.https://flic.kr/p/2kHJcn6

Hi Umbongo.
i have a soft twirly stick, It has not caused any pain, but it’s no use either.

1 Like

Hi Zebras.
The moulds are soft, I have Parkinsons, and wondering if it anything to do with that.

I use a warm water spray to clean my ears of wax. I use a water pik.

1 Like

Hi marnold.

I have the Medi Grade spray, and had to use it this morning. But I can’t see how much wax comes out, as it appears to vanish in the water.

It works reasonably well most of the time.

Hi. Is there more specific information available regarding Med Grade spray so that we can buy it or at least research it?

Interesting. Is the water pik painful?

Get one that has a control for pressure. I learned about this device from an audiologist 20 years ago

1 Like

Hi marnold.

I have not seen one with any pressure control, could you give a little information please.

So, I’ve read published papers on the topic.
Conclusion is that for some types any non invasive method will do, and after some point, only mechanical removal by expert will work properly and safely.

Non invasive methods:

• water irrigation (not with high pressure, just directed stream slowly), so shower, or slow stream using syringe, water pik and such (in my test, syringe can do it more gentle than water pik, however I was comparing syringe with a tip that has 4 openings, whereas waterpik has single stream)
  • oil (commonly used is olive, but apricot seed works nicely and is less oily, also, is good against itchy skin)
  • hydrogen peroxide solutions (I think it’s 3% one), again, irrigation but not pressure thing
  • sodium bicarbonate solution (I forgot the percentage, I think 10% but might be 5%)

In any case - if you have damaged eardrum NO irrigation of any kind is allowed!

Syringe and pushing water inside under pressure can damage the eardrum, so, not recommended!

I bought an otoscope that connects with my phone, just for the view.
I was told I have cerumen on my drum (first time in my life, for the ear that recently started wearing aid), and while I was waiting for the otoscope to come I was putting drops of apricot seed oil every day twice, hold for half an hour and just let it drain. In a few days otoscope came and all was already clear. And used it with a lot of caution and measuring and remeasuring (how much from my fingertip I’ll allow it to protrude).

I’d never use those extensions that came with it for ‘cleaning ear’.
If I need mechanical removal, I’ll go to audi/ENT.

Likewise, those swirl things and all other stuff won’t go inside my ear.

I use qtip as a way to suck the liquid from the canal opening part, mainly out of fear that hearing aid receiver will get damaged. I also changed wax filters because they definitely looked a bit oily to me after a few days of this.
Now with otoscope I was able to check how deep I actually go (by checking moist ear and then drying with qtip and then checking again) and I confirmed my assumptions that I don’t go deep, basically similar what I’d do with fingertip alone, if not even less.
But I use the baby qtip which is really fat looking cotton ball, almost like my little finger in diameter, and I don’t push it deep nor I dig out for cerumen.

Now with having otoscope, I’ll confidently know what’s going on and if it ever happens again, and oil alone cannot resolve it, I’ll find an ENT who knows what they’re doing.

Eg I won’t allow one stream syringe in my ear, which I think is common here :confused:

1 Like

Hi Blacky.

Thanks for your reply.

It can take several weeks to get an appointment with either a GP or hospital ENT. That is what drives us to do what we can for ourselves.

I will probably continue using the method I have, as it seems to work reasonably well. Pressure is controlled by how hard you squeeze the trigger, so it’s not very high. The wax I produce is very wet, and will block the HA tube several times a day, unless I clean the ear. I use Bicarbonate of soda drops for a stubborn blockage. It can be very slow to work sometimes.

A lot of these gadgets include an Otoscope, but I do not want to see in my ear, I know when it’s blocked.

Almost all water picks have a pressure control.

I’ve used all the methods you list too. Any of them can benefit from warming the liquid.

I also use the electronic otoscope. Very helpful.

I also dry my ears with a hairdryer instead of the qtip.

The peroxide can irritate as it’s pretty strong stuff.

Water Pix also have different heads. Some are for pin point control with lots of pressure and others are for very low pressure flushing. I have used different Water Pix for probably 10-15 years on my teeth.
Having the ability to put whatever temperature and fluid in the reservoir can be very handy.

Mine does, but as I said, his lowest setting was too strong IMO compared to what I can do with syringe with 4 openings. And I’m not inclined to do it under pressure, eg I don’t want to break the wax from the walls with water, I just want to flush already loose one. At least that’s my reasoning. I didn’t need to use that special syringe either. But I have all equipment now in case it ever repeats. :rofl:

I’ve used all the methods you list too. Any of them can benefit from warming the liquid.

:+1:
I held my oil (in small 5ml squeeze bottle, I have bunch of those, never used, from my play with aromatherapy) in my hands for like half an hour before pouring in my ear

I also dry my ears with a hairdryer instead of the qtip.

I cannot stand the airflow, too loud, too annoying, and too much airflow :rofl:
I don’t use it on my hair unless I need it immediately dry (which happened like maybe 5 times in last two decades), and then I put ear plugs in my ear while doing so. Ok, granted, we do have some beast of a hairdryer which needs like less than a minute to dry classic men short haircut that’s overgrown, so, 2-3" of hair length and lot of it (we both wear similar, me having even shorter hair, but I haven’t used dryer even when I had 1m long hair, that’s what, around 40").

The peroxide can irritate as it’s pretty strong stuff.

Yup, that’s good warning!
Especially I wouldn’t recommend it for weekly/daily use, but more like a day/two when solving acute problem, and only if you don’t have sensitive skin nor wounds/scratches of any sort.

What’s funny is that if wax can be moved in home, all solutions have same efficiency, those above vs ‘special over the counter drops’. In some cases they even proved that doing nothing is similarly effective, since our hairs inside the canal are moving it out when we chew and move jaw anyway.

And if wax is dry, really stuck, then your best bet is the expert, since with anything you shove down there you risk injury.

And after that you can use any of the above for maintenance, eg once a week or so, in order to not come to the point where your hair cannot move that out alone.

What otoscope are you using and is it bluetooth or what?

Thanks

https://smile.amazon.de/gp/product/B08LCWTJML/

This one.
Creates wifi network to which you connect your phone to, and then start the app, MZ scope.
That was the single otoscope which didn’t use that other app, and people have a lot of problems with that other app, like wants update but won’t install or something, and effectively rendering all those otoscopes useless.

This app works ok, picture is clear (if your lens is clear), otoscope serves the purpose of looking in the crevices, me happy :slight_smile:

1 Like