Ever get in the shower with your hearing aids in?

I walk into the shower with my Phonak Brios on a couple of times a month and hit the pool with them on every other month or so. I dry them out and they keep on trucking.
I have more of a problem from perspiration. 'Seems to get the batteries wetter and takes them longer to dry. I tried those waterproof covers, but they were too much of pain to deal with. 'Had to take them off every time every time the batteries were replaced.

0 Likes

Getting in the shower and getting wet before you realize they are still on was never a problem with my Oticon Intigas. I probably did that a dozen or more times in the 5-6 years I had them. Always got out and removed them as soon as I realized it. Normally that would be when I wet my hair and touch them with a hand, so they did get a little wet.

Now, what WILL do you in is if you realize they are still in, remove them and place them on a towel rack (not yours) and then forget to put them back in because you’re in a hurry. When your roommate goes to shower and mistakes them for bugs, and flushes them down the toilet… OUCH. True story. Very painful. Remembering it gives me heart palpitations.

1 Like

I assume these are CIC type hearing aids that were mistaken for bugs, right? I can’t imagine any idiot seeing RIC type hearing aids and thinking they were bugs.

1 Like

Nope, they were RICs. Roommate doesn’t see too well and refuses to get glasses. :roll_eyes: :sob:

0 Likes

Hi,
I have the Starkey Muse i2400 and not long after I got them I got in the shower at my gym 3 times with my ha’s on. Boy, was I bummed. Luckily, the first 2 times nothing was harmed. The third time, however, one of my aids conked out. I had to go to the audy and it was sent to the factory for fixing. Everything was ok after that.

Now, I have a small ha case in my gym bag that I see right away and my aids go in there before I shower. I also put a small case in my shower at home to give me a reminder if I need it.

0 Likes

Yeah the more I wear mine the more that good habits develop. At least I hope so.

0 Likes

I think that is because we are used to wearing them and they do not bother us. It hasn’t happened to me yet.

0 Likes

I have managed to get into the shower 2 or 3 times wearing my Unitron RIC aids and realised when I started to wash my hair. Hence they were exposed for less than a minute.

They still worked fine afterwards.

0 Likes

My Phonak V90s have so far survived both a quick trip into the shower and a dip in a salt water swimming pool. I rinsed them in tap water then dried them with three cycles in my D-Dry electric HA drier.

0 Likes

I only stepped into the shower once with HAs in. As I was straightening out the shower curtain, I said to myself, “what’s that strange sound?” Then I realized it was the tinkle of water splashing on the curtain and the tub. Oops! I forgot to take my HAs out! Now, on days I know I’ll be showering, I go around deaf until I’m clean.

Interesting to learn about IP ratings. My Oticon Agil Pro HA, apparently have an IP57 rating, which appears to be decent.

1 Like

No ip rating today indicates that the hearing aids are waterproof. Note how the battery compartment closes, for example, Water can seep in the tiny edges between the closed compartment and the hearing aid. Have you ever seen perspiration on a battery in your hearing aid on a hot day? I have. How do you think it got there? From perspiration from your head leaking down the ears into the hearing aid. There are other similar openings in the hearing aids. Further the so-called waterproofing added to other parts of the outside of the hearig aids wears away after awhile. My VA audiologista a few years ago told me that it can be refreshed by the manufacturer. In effect, no hearing aids today ,0are waterproof. I would take out the batteries and dry them with a cloth. I would place the hearing aids,battery compartment open ( after carefully drying the haring aids with a non-sheding cloth), and then place them in a drying device for some time.

0 Likes

Not sure if this is a typo or you mean it. What does “waterproof” mean? As someone pointed out, perhaps in another thread, there is a big difference between “waterproof” and “water-resistant.” Most of the tests bandied about for electronic devices are static pressure tests at some depth of water for some limited period of time. The rating just means that the device has passed that test and doesn’t mean that it will survive a direct hit by a powerful jet of water. Some people like to shower with the shower spray constricted to a fine, stinging spray. In San Antonio, it’s by code to have water pressure up to 80 lbs/in2 (and sometimes it goes way over or way under that as pressure regulation in SA is not the greatest). One atmosphere is 14.6 lbs/in2. The pressure of water increases by about 1 atmosphere for every 10 meters of depth. So don’t know if sure if the water could come out of your shower head at 80 lbs/in2 on the finest spray setting but 15 goes into 80 > 5 times. So your shower spray could be equivalent to a water depth of 50 meters if you like to take a stinging shower. Most hearing aid manuals say to keep your HA’s away from water (or why do so many people use driers overnight if there is no problema!). So the safest thing is probably to take your HA’s out when you shower as I doubt OEM’s are testing them for water resistance equivalent to a 50 m depth of water (if HA’s were resistant to that depth, I’m sure an OEM would be bragging about it as you could probably safely do ordinary swimming, at least in a pool, with that degree of static water resistance).

Edit_Update: In rereading AlanM’s comment, I see that the first line should be interpreted that “No matter what IP rating a HA has today, it doesn’t guarantee that it will be waterproof” and further along in the post Alan restates that comment in the 3rd to last line by saying “In effect, no hearing aids today are waterproof” - another instance of me not reading too carefully exactly what was written before writing a post in reply. So I hope my commentary is useful in reinforcing AlanM’s suggestion that it’s not a good idea to shower with your HA’s.

The exact pressure that comes out of a shower head is hard to calculate - and I couldn’t find any ready reference. It may be 80 lbs/in2 on the pipe side of the shower head. A constriction in a pipe will increase water pressure but flow will decrease pressure - the Bernoulli principle that causes air flowing faster over the curved upper surface of a wing to have reduced pressure compared to the slower air flowing the straighter path underneath the wing. But whatever it is, water out of a constricted shower head can have a lot of pressure.

0 Likes

I have a large, scotch-taped Post-it note on both my shower and my wife’s that says, “HAs OUT???” so far no trouble.
Of greater concern is getting caught in the rain unexpectedly. I have a rain hat but is that sufficient?

0 Likes

Okey-Dokey. I decided to try to calculate the force of water hitting you coming out of a shower, making a bunch of gross assumptions along the way. Anyone more up on their physics than me is free to correct my ignorant calculations (it’s been at least 50 years since I studied basic Newtonian physics). The result that I got is that the water pressure hitting you is about 9.3 lbs/sq. in, equivalent to a static water depth of about 6.4 meters or about 21 feet, given water at 80 psi coming out of a typical American shower head.

To model a shower head, I used the following Kohler shower head: K-8023 | WaterTile Square 22-Nozzle Showerhead | KOHLER

It has 22 nozzles and at a water pressure in the pipe of 80 psi, will deliver 2.2 gal/min to meet EPA Watersense standards that modern showers should not consume more than 2.5 gal/min, since water is becoming as precious as gold.

One major error-prone assumption that I made is that the water that comes out of each shower head nozzle does not change diameter from that of the nozzle! (not taking bets on that one).

Well, what’s the diameter of a shower nozzle for this head? The really cool thing about this whole experiment is that Kohler offers you the 3D CAD files for the shower head. That’s so if you’re an architect, you can download the object and place it in the 3D representation of the house bathroom that you’re drawing (and give your client a 3D virtual walk-through of their future house/redesigned bathroom, etc).

So whaddya know. Microsoft has an excellent 3D visualization tool called 3D Builder that you can download for free from the Microsoft Store. Open the Kohler .OBJ file and measure the nozzle diameter as 1 mm. (There is a simpler MS app called 3D viewer that allows you through Mixed Reality to put a 3D representation of the object on your lap or anywhere in a room as viewed through your computer webcam).

At any rate, 22 nozzles delivering 2.2 gal/min. That’s 0.1 gal/min per nozzle. A gallon is 3,785 mls or ~3,785 gms. 0.1 gal/min per nozzle is 378.5 gm/min or 6.31 gms/sec. How fast is this water traveling? It is coming out of 1 mm diameter nozzle. That nozzle has a cross-sectional area of 0.00785 cm2. Dividing 6.31 cm3/sec by 0.00785 cm2 gives a water velocity of 804 cm/sec (or going in reverse, water traveling at 804 cm/sec going through a 0.00785 cm2 orifice gives 804 x 0.00785 = 6.31 cm3 (gms) water/sec. (In case anyone thinks this water speed is incredible, it’s about 28.9 km/hr or 18 mph).

Momentum = mass x velocity. Momentum also = force x time. The momentum of the water is 6.31 gm x 804 cm/sec = 5073 gm-cm/sec. Every second that much water is stopped when it hits you (so another bad assumption, the deceleration rate), let’s say the water is decelerated over a second - gives a lower force estimate. So the force of resistance of your body surface on the water to stop it is momentum/time = force = 5073 gm-cm/sec divided by 1 sec = 5073 gm-cm/sec2, unit of force called a dyne. There are 10^5 dynes per newton. So force is 0.05073 newtons. There are 0.2248 lbs-force per newton (going from metric to imperial units). So the force that’s being exerted is roughly 0.0114 lbs-force and it’s being exerted on an area corresponding to the nozzle surface area (assuming that the stream of water did not change cross-sectional area after exiting from the nozzle). The 0.00785 cm^2 cross-sectional area of a 1 mm diameter nozzle corresponds to 0.00122 in^2. So 0.0114 lbs force per 0.00122 in^2 = ~9.3 lbs/sq. in. 1 atmosphere = 14.6 lbs/in^2. 9.3/14.6 = ~0.64 atm. At 10 m water depth = 1 atm, this corresponds to ~6.4 m or at 3.3 ft per m, ~21 ft of water depth.

So the water is probably being decelerated in much less than a second in hitting your body so the actual water pressure force against your skin (or HA’s) s probably at least several times greater but then the water stream may increase in cross-sectional area as it flies through the air, too, compensating somewhat for a much higher rate of actual deceleration.

P.S. I neglected to include any acceleration of the water leaving the shower head due to gravity in calculating the terminal velocity of the water when it hits your head. If you place the shower head 1 ft above your head, the water exiting the shower head is traveling so relatively fast over a relatively short distance that it has very little time (~0.05 sec) to travel and be accelerated by gravity before it hits your head - so gravity would only increase the velocity of the water by about 10% if its effect were included, assuming the water was traveling towards you at about a 45 deg angle.

Edit_Update: A mentor on a physics forum suggests that by the Bernoulli Principle, static water from behind the shower head on becoming static again on impact would end up at the same pressure it started at, i.e., 80 psi in my shower example, but the transfer process is not 100% efficient and energy and pressure is lost, e.g., by nozzle and air resistance, etc. So the mentor suggests a good ballpark estimate would be 50% efficiency, leading to ~40 psi at point of impact. Such an assumption would also assume that the relative diameter of the water column is preserved in transit. How Do You Calculate Water Velocity and Force of Impact? | Physics Forums

2 Likes

According to the following WIkipedia entry, the upper speed of large raindrops, which reach a higher terminal velocity than smaller ones, would be about 32 km/hr, similar in speed to what I calculated for 80 psi water exiting 1 mm shower nozzles at a flow rate per nozzle of 0.1 gal/min. So big raindrops ought to be about as “vicious” as being in a standard shower but I’d think any hat that could absorb the impact would protect you if the HA’s have sufficient water-resistance to survive contact with non-pressurized water after that, if your hat soaks through.

0 Likes

Wow! What a great answer!

0 Likes

I’ve developed a habit that has saved my keister more than once: before stepping in the shower, I stick a finger into my ears to make sure I’ve removed the aids!

4 Likes

I’ve been convalescing from emergency surgery for the last few weeks, which has upset my daily routine. I have stepped in the shower with my aids in three times in the last three weeks. :confounded:

Prior to that, I think I did it once in the last three years.

I just went to Costco and purchased a hearing aid dryer.

0 Likes

That’s what I’m starting to do at night, before going up to bed. Stick my fingers into my ears to ascertain whether the HAs in or out. Otherwise, I’ll be stuck coming back down in the dark to take them our, clean them off and store them on the kitchen table.

It may seem weird that I don’t just stash them up in the bedroom. The problem is, I get up many days and jog or something, then take a shower. So, I don’t want to risk their being in the shower with me, or exiled upstairs while I’m needing them downstairs on non-shower days.

0 Likes

This applies to weathering. Water the great equalizer😎

1 Like