Evaluation Process for CIs - Your experience?

The first implant music sucked.
The second implant music is trying to sound like music, not good yet.
When I talked to my audiologist about this, he has two CI’s, his comments were music is decent. He also was very clear to say that music is like speech, you have to practice it for it to improve. He mentioned a couple different patients who are musicians and love music with implants. CI is about learning sounds.

3 Likes

@Raudrive have you tried “Bring back the beat” by Cochlear? I worked my way through that Cochlear app, I’m not sure it helped me all that much. But might be worth it for you to give it a go.

Yes, I have tried it but have not completed it. It bored me at the time, need to get back at it.
The Speech Banana app was much better for me.
Thanks

Yesterday my wife was having a phone conversation with a lady friend of hers using the speaker phone. She brought the phone to me wanting me to say hello and visit some. Her friend and I talked for a minute or two and then went on about my business. Afterwords my wife came to me and said I understood everything on the phone call. I smiled and said yes I did. She was pretty amazed.

1 Like

I realize I am responding to an old post, but it gave me another question to ask at my assessment next week - specific to MRIs and the distinct likelihood that I will one day get a second implant as told to me by the surgeon during a phone “appt”. If I already have an implant, that is problem already for another MRI. This must be a problem for many. I am already leaning to Cochlear vs AB because I like that their latest CI is rated for 3T without magnet removal and headwrap. ( I know Med-El also has MRI safe CIs, but I have ruled them out b/c they don’t seem to be keeping up with current expectations of connectivity) I wonder how much consideration surgeons give to future MRIs. I know they aren’t the only diagnostic tool in the box, but it now seems to be the tool of choice in ERs, and one never knows when they might need one. I am just thinking out loud …

1 Like

I did not get a MRI for implants, CT scan was done.

1 Like

Oh! Well thank you for that. So you didn’t even have an MRI for your first implant?

1 Like

Correct, I did not get a MRI for cochlear implant surgery.

1 Like

It’s common to get a CAT scan for possible CI surgery in the UK as well. CAT scan is part of the assessment.

Raudrive and @Zebras that’s interesting. My ENT doctor sent me for both CT and MRI, the results of which she forwarded to the Cochlear clinic along with her referral. I have been told by the clinic that I will be getting yet another CT scan in a few weeks. I should probably question the need for another, given I just had one in January. The less radiation exposure the better. But glad to know that you two didn’t even require an MRI, so I know that might not be a requirement for a second implant. Thanks.

1 Like

Okay, that’s very encouraging, to know that you could hear on the phone speaker. I hate being dependent on a BT device, which only gives me poor results.

1 Like

A little update that some might find interesting.

For the past 20 or so years I have mixed up sugar water for the hummingbirds, spring, summer and fall. Up until this year I have never heard them. The CI’s have made that possible.

Here in central Texas we have mostly the black chin hummers. When I lived on the Texas coast we saw mostly the ruby throated hummers. A Rufus now and then.

They are absolutely loud, constantly chirping.

3 Likes

I had to have both CT & MRI pre CI implant surgery. An awful lot of surgeons like to check on the bony structures that the CAT shows them. And the MRI shows the ENT that the nerves are all where they are meant to be. So that during surgery they have no unexpected surprises.

@Raudrive yesterday I had a complete day without aid or processor. It was a beautiful Autumn day here, our back door is less than 15meters to the parkland. The trees are home to every bit of wild bird life, from the raucous cockatoo to the tiny sparrow. When you get several cockatoos squawking it’s loud, then add in the rest of the bird life it’s exceptionally loud. The peace and quiet was just heaven.

2 Likes

Just got home from audiologist appointment.

My right ear was implanted in October of 2020 and my left ear in January of 2021.

Test results:
Left in quiet 87% sentence understanding.
Right in quiet 84% sentence understanding.
Both ears in noise 66% sentence understanding. (this was my first ever hearing test in noise)

My test numbers don’t do justice to how much better I am hearing.
Getting a little better all the time. Maybe my next appointment in 6 months will get me into the 90’s.

Can even hold a telephone call conversation without Bluetooth, impressive for me. Still have a tuff time with TV without Bluetooth streaming, working on this.

A few adjustments were made to lessen soft sounds because I can hear clocks, locusts etc at a hundred yards. Hopefully this will help the wind noise I deal with outside too.

It was a good office visit.

6 Likes

That’s an understatement. It was an awesome visit. I’m so happy for you!

3 Likes

Amazing! I know you were struggling a lot before the implants. I’m so happy for you!!!

1 Like

Rick they are wonderful scores considering you are still doing rehab, well I hope you are I should say.
Trying to do a full hearing test with white noise is really tough. Especially when they vary the loudness of the white noise. Well that’s what they did to me at my half way mark. Congrats on such great scores. Onward and upward for you.

3 Likes

Thank you Sheryl.
I hoped my sentence understanding in quiet would have been in the 90’s, maybe my next visit. One thing about it, I see room for improvement but am very happy with the CI’s. The sentence test in noise was challenging. I just don’t get into noisy places anymore or rarely do. Not getting any practice!

Just now I have unpaired the N7 processors from my Google Pixel 3 phone and paired the K2 processors. Had to remove the Nucleus Smart app and re-install it to make the swap. Sure wish both sets of processors would pair to the app. Enjoying the K2 processors but have learned to like the N7’s too.

1 Like

I shouldn’t say this but……I have never really done any rehab. Never did any of the practice stuff my audiologist recommended. Did do a little of the “Bring on the beat” app.
Just paid attention to my wife!

2 Likes

This is wonderful to hear! I am just in awe at the lifechanging technology of cochlear implants. Hearing in noise is challenging for even those who are not hearing challenged. It’s a strange time to be adjusting to implants when we are all avoiding those situations where we have to cope in loud social situations. When I listen to ted talks or audio books on my laptop as part of rehab, I take my cell phone and put some competing “relaxation” music on speaker to simulate a noisier environment than I am currently living in. It’s a bit irritating, but I am hoping it helps!

2 Likes