ESTEEM Hearing Implant for SNHL

esteem

Fair play, that’s a quality rant.

Re ‘loosing’; are you a Gwlader?

corey, after following your links and reading the information found there, the only advice I can give you is to join my uncle in the hills of North Georgia, stockpile your guns and canned goods (he grows plenty of produce, so you can eat healthy) and keep clear of any hospitals. And join him in watching plenty of Fox news.

ALL medical procedures have risks of complications. A “simple” procedure is still something that carries a risk of infection and hospitals are where you find fun things like staph. I get people in all the time asking me about cochlear implants and the Esteem. When I explain that it is a device that is implanted IN THE SKULL, most people think twice about it.

And even the articles above indicate a tiny percentage of issues with implanted devices and then the one about corporate corruption that was caught and punished. The cochlear implant article? “The institutional device failure rate was 3.7% and the overall revision rate was 5.1%.” Considering what it is, I don’t think we’re dealing with an epidemic here. Again, from the abstract.

CONCLUSIONS:

Management of implant failures and performance of revision surgery are becoming increasingly important in cochlear implant programs. Outcomes are generally excellent. Revision implantation is a safe and appropriate procedure that should be pursued in a timely fashion when patients experience cochlear implant failure.

You seem to be slightly misinformed Corey… The Major Hearing Aid Manufacturers all make their aids in China, they are sourced and assembled in “The Peoples Republic of China”!!! It has been predicted, by 2030 the Chinese will be the “Top Salary Earners” in the world… At present they have over a million, millionaires; http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-31/china-s-millionaires-jump-past-one-million-on-savings-growth.html

Cheers Kev:D

[sigh]

Big corporations do NOT in general have relationships with INDIVIDUALs.

A firm of say 1000 people designing gadgets and shipping say 10 million units a month simply CANNOT deal with individual customers.

Manufacturers ship to wholesalers & distributors who ship to stores who sell to individuals.

It’s a hierarchy with the end-user service being provided at the last step.

Additionally, the end-user seeks prettier, more fashion oriented products which are quite delicate and not built very strongly. Also, churn time for modern products is getting shorter and shorter, so products are not designed for longevity so they fail more quickly than say your grand-parents’ fridge … which weighed 1 tonne and was built of armour plate. No in-built fault design is needed for modern products!

We call it the Consumer Society …

ignoring the end user’s grief is the death of any company because in the end the end user will take all their future spending else where.

example due to repeated fails of multiple resound aids I will never get another pair from them EVER.

All I can say is we lost the secret war with china. Our companies that took all of our best jobs over to china should be shot for treason.

quote from wiki :“Oran’s Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as “…[a]…citizen’s actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation].” In many nations, it is also often considered treason to attempt or conspire to overthrow the government, even if no foreign country is aided or involved by such an endeavour.”

Out sourcing destroyed our industrial capacity to sustain ourselves. We could not compete against a nation who paid their labor force less than us. That was intentional in that they pocketed the unpaid pages while weakening/injuring our nation.

Those running the federal reserve should be shot too in that they sold the debt loans to china for zero % interest. which helped china undermine the US currency in their attempt to supplant the USA currency with Chinese currency.

Then this is getting way off topic and that I already knew the aids were made overseas. Sad thing is china has a long track record of using substandard materials in their products.

Our companies that took all of our best jobs over to china should be shot for treason

‘our’ the chances of you ever getting a job and stop being supported by the taxpayers are about zero.

A very informative report by one of the leading Esteem surgeons himself. Written in June of 2011.

emedicine.medscape.com/article/860444-overview

Note this passage:

The Esteem device faces some hurdles as it is further developed…

[LEFT]In addition, removal of a portion of the incus permanently alters the ossicular mechanism and makes it difficult to attain full recovery of hearing to preimplantation baseline levels if the device fails or is in the off position. A new prosthesis, the Kraus K-Helix System (marketed by Grace Medical), was developed to reconstruct the defect in the incus created by placing the Esteem.[/LEFT]

Can a profoundly deaf person in the range of 90 to 100 decibels get it down to 25 decibels

Sadly life is not that simple.

If you have a 100 dB.HL nerve loss then simply driving power into the cochlear won’t work out especially well.

I suppose that you might have say a 60dB conductive loss plus a 40dB nerve loss - in which case the results would be better.

example due to repeated fails of multiple resound aids I will never get another pair from them EVER. I’ll bet that’s the best news ReSound has had in a long time.

[quote=anthony993;78262]A very informative report by one of the leading Esteem surgeons himself. Written in June of 2011.

emedicine.medscape.com/article/860444-overview

Note this passage:

The Esteem device faces some hurdles as it is further developed…

[LEFT]In addition, removal of a portion of the incus permanently alters the ossicular mechanism and makes it difficult to attain full recovery of hearing to preimplantation baseline levels if the device fails or is in the off position. A new prosthesis, the Kraus K-Helix System (marketed by Grace Medical), was developed to reconstruct the defect in the incus created by placing the Esteem.[/LEFT]
[/quote]

Think there is something wrong with the link site it is not wanting to change pages properly .

in order to get the page to change i had to click on the page wanted several times then go down to bottom and click on related stories. this takes you to member sign in/up then click back button to get the page i originally chose.

it maybe a fluke, but I suspect your not suppose to be able to read it unless your a member.

no conspiracy as other poster suggested

if your required to be a member that might explain why the link was not a click-able link

It may have something to do with copyright protection. (not want to let you properly link to it)

or maybe cyborg’s comment was about something else all together.

More “secret” press releases from a company? Yep, it’s a conspiracy, that’s the only possible explanation.

Appreciate all the pertinent posts (although man oh man can some people get off topic). I just wrote a long diatribe only to have it lost when submitting? Anyway, here goes again. I was originally very excited about the Esteem middle ear implant (see original post) and I think middle implant technology is an amazing breakthrough for hearing loss. I applaude all those involved from the basic science/research level to the venture capitalists who brought this to market after FDA approval. However, the dominant rule of this world we live in is “buyer beware” for everything; the medical community was likely one of the last to fall, but now our current medical system is buyer beware as well. After reading all the glowing testimonials on the company website and following Sarah Churman, I then began to contact individuals NOT on the company website. This is where the story changes and the waters get muddy. In their zeal to sell this product, I personally feel the company has implanted some marginal candidates (severe or severe/profound SNHL) with poor or clearly suboptimal results and the marketing has implied thru the website, etc results that simply are not that rosey. If you look at the original trial of the Esteem and talk to implantees, what you will find is that IF you have moderate or moderate to severe SNHL you will get about 5-10 decibel gain on average and get some slight increase in speech clarity on average. The price tag for this is now $33,000 (recently increased). Further downsides that have already been described in these posts include suboptimal battery life requiring a followup minor procedure at $7,000 and the necessitated disarticulation of the middle ear bones during the procedure. I am still strongly considering the implantation one ear in a few years, BUT I am carefully monitoring the success of this product. Again, I appreciate all the posts and the implantees who have shared their experience with the Esteem with rigorous honesty.