Ergonomic Evaluation after request for accommodations (teacher)

I have been following up on the situation from my previous post. I’m a teacher who wears hearing aids, and I recently had to return to in-person instruction after teaching online for a year.

After my previous post, I made a formal request through the school district for accommodations, as per my union’s advice. Then, I got a new hearing exam, in which I discovered that my hearing loss had become much worse, particularly in my right ear. (My new audiogram is posted on this site). My audiologist was very concerned and followed up with the ENT. I am going to be having an MRI and a vestibular test to see if the loss is connected to my balance problem.

My doctor filled out the required form and sent it in. Then, after another week or so, I received today an email from the school district’s insurance people, requesting an hour-long ergonomic evaluation, and photos of me at my job.

I want to know what to expect. I’m also floored as to what a photo of me standing in my classroom could possibly show them. Frankly, it sounds like they are following the standard procedures they’d use for someone in a standard work environment, not for a teacher in a classroom.

Has anyone ever had an ergonomic evaluation related to hearing loss? Please fill me in on what to expect.

Thanks so much!

I don’t know, but this sounds like a bureaucratic knee jerk reaction to me. (Somebody requests accomodations–do an ergonomic evaluation) Sounds like they’re used to getting accomodation requests from people with repetitive stress injury.

3 Likes

Thanks! It seems that way to me, too!

@birdcountry99: You’ve probably already got this base covered, but I’d make sure that your union is involved every step of the way from here on in.

I tend to agree with MDB on this.

Only other thing is, the “balance problem.” And a vestibular test. Put those 2 together. They may be thinking you are a fall hazard and need a chair on wheels? A podium, lecturn, or something to hold on to? Depends what the doctor included in the write-up. I don’t see it related to hearing loss specifically, but to the other things you have mentioned, there are possibilities there.

2 Likes

I agree about the balance issue being the reason - perhaps- for an ergonomic evaluation, or it may just be their standard response. When you consider how many types of disabilities out there, it is difficult for such an office to know much about each one.
As a result, you should research what assistive technology for your hearing loss you may need at work, if it is different with your new hearing loss, and ask this office if they know what is available for use in a classroom.

1 Like

AskJan can be a good resource.

1 Like

article from AskJan

https://askjan.org/articles/Accommodations-for-Educators-who-are-Deaf-or-Hard-of-Hearing.cfm

1 Like

Thank you!
In my original post, which I don’t know how to link, I explained my situation. I requested either table speakers or a captioning arrangement. On my doctor’s from, she also recommended that I teach remotely, which had been very successful.

Thanks, Spudgunner. Agree. They recommended that I make this request through the district.

Thanks; I will check it out.

Thank you!
An additional problem, for sure.
My doctor and I did not mention that in the description of my need for accommodation, so it isn’t part of what I’m asking the district to provide. It’s not hearing the students that I need help with.

@birdcountry99:

IMO, your problem is bigger than just your side of it. I think the potential frustration and lack of confidence your students feel also is part of the equation. Their need for reliable interaction with their teacher needs to be addressed, also.

1 Like